LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How many of you have used iodine for thyroid issues?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of you have used iodine for thyroid issues?
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have thyroid nodules and endo also suspects that I may be subclinically hypothyroid.....there's been no mention of Hashimoto's since thyroid antibodies were in the normal range last March.

Endo has agreed to put me on armour, but before I start that I would like to explore iodine supplementation.

I have done a lot of reading online about iodine and have found that people are getting some good results supplementing with iodine along with companion supplements such as selenium etc.

Would be interested to hear what your experience has been with iodine.....are you using liquid or tablets ...... how much are you using......and how it has helped you especially with thyroid issues.

Thank you!

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no data on how much it helps

got a good source of iodine, though, that I like

not sure how much you want to eat everyday

I have Maine Coast Sea Seasonings 1) Sea Salt with Sea Veg and 2) Tripple Blend Flakes (Dulse, Laver, Sea lettuce)

they have about 160% and 240% of iodine per 1 and 1/4 tsp. respectively

I put them on my salad or food

was looking for a natural source of iodine and my nutritionalist recommended these or sea weeds in general

The Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, Inc. products are like salt shakers for $ 3.59 each at my health food store

and Yes, I also take Se for the thyroid (I am not a doctor - not sure if that is indicated or good for you)

I had thyroid antibodies and heard about a study were about 45 people with thyroid antibodies took Se and about half of them lost the antibodies - ? not sure if this can happen but my doc at the time thought Se may help / be worth a try for me

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry it's the other way around:

the sea salt with sea veg has 240% iodine per 1/4 tsp (28 servings per shaker)

the triple blend has 160% iodine per 1 tsp(18 servings per shaker)

and here is a link to the store online (currently closed but will re-open August 30)

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18

bon apetit [lick]

--------------------

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harmony thanks, .....interesting products.....how long have you been using them and have you seen any positive results?
Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Lugol's solution for the iodine. Can mail order it. Also taking selenium. Have had autoantibodies in the past, not been checked for this in a while.

My own suspicion is that lyme attacks the thyroid in order to lower the body temperature, since it prefers lower temps. And maybe the antibodies come into play because it is intracellular in the thyroid.

Might want to get hold of a copy of David Brownstein's book "Iodine, why you need it...."

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Lou, how much iodine are you taking......I'm glad to hear that you took it even with autoimmune antibodies and you did not experience adverse affects.....I'm sure you would have known by now if it was affecting you badly.

You say:
"My own suspicion is that lyme attacks the thyroid in order to lower the body temperature, since it prefers lower temps. And maybe the antibodies come into play because it is intracellular in the thyroid."
This theory makes sense.....but would it still do this if the lyme load is under control? I've read about Dr. Brownstein and am definitely planning to read his book.

mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use lugols too. I use 5% and I am working my way up on this. This is not for everybody, and I am very deficiant in iodine. I take 3 drops in the am and 4 at 4pm.

I am on thyroid meds. I was using iodorol and recently switched.

Posts: 151 | From south east | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a thyroid nodule and suspected hyperthyroid. Either that, or I think the nodule is secreting TSH. STILL waiting to get in and see an endo though.

I take prolamine iodine. I was up to five/day but am down to one.

Here is an interesting read. I've posted it before but it seems fitting here.

http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/learning/iodine-fulfillment-therapy.html

If you want to see if you need the iodine, here is a little test you can do.

http://www.iodine-resource.com/iodine-patch-test.html

From above link.....

quote:
You will use tincture of iodine which is 2% orange colored solution available in the first aid section of your pharmacy. It comes in a small one ounce bottle.

****IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE IT IS THE ORANGE COLORED IODINE.

Before you go to bed, paint a half dollar size of iodine onto clean dry skin. This should be either on your stomach, under your forearm or inner thigh where material won't rub on it.

When you wake up, you will notice the color has changed. Make a mental note about how much it has changed.

Wait for 24 hours. If the color has completely disappeared, you are iodine deficient.

The body's deficiency is proportionate - the faster the iodine is absorbed by your body, the more deficient you are.

I did the test in the am so I could keep a better eye on things as opposed to the pm. Either way would work

One more link for ya. You can print it out and record your results.

http://tinyurl.com/3ff8wfy

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried but couldn't do it cuz it made my reflux so bad

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Thank you, Mookie, Philly and Ipkayak.

Anyone else?

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Naturopath insists Iodine is critical to Thyroid health...

I take Iodine Forte by Iodine Forte

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

jj29 - I have used iodine in the salt/sea weed for about 1 year but not consistently

had a thyroid nodule, too, 0.8 cm so they did not biopsy and never followed up

my body temp is usually at 97 degrees

sorry but I have no data on the effect of the iodine

never had a good doc (until Oct 2011, I hope) and have not followed iodine effects myself

I just eat it because "it is supposed ot important" - not very sophisticated on this one, I'm afraid

Thanks for making me more aware and good for you for being on the right track

--------------------

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be aware if you in fact do have Hashimoto's (way to tell is for doc to biopsy one of those nodules), that excess iodine can make things worse.

And Hashi antibodies can fluctuate. They can be high one month, low several months later, then high again, etc.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Harmony, it would be interesting to see if your nodule has disappeared after your use of salt/sea weed for a year......I hope it has.

Fuel....how many drops do you take of the Iodine Forte.....is this similar to the Lugol's?

Lemon-Lyme....the biopsy report of the nodule states that it is hyperplastic which I have been told is basically begnin......I would imagine they would have said something about Hashimoto's if they found it right?

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Iodoral brand iodine tablets available at some doc offices and also vitacost. It comes in 12.5mg and 50mg tablets. I used the 50mg briefly when starting and now have used 12.5mg daily for about a year or so. They make a big difference. This is way more than the USRDA. So, for those not satisfied with results of supplements in range of 100% or 300% of USRDA, you might consider 12.5mg daily, which is 8333% of USRDA. The Iodoral literature states this 12.5mg daily is similar to what people in Japan get regularly from all the food they eat (seaweed and animals).
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Thanks,Michael..... have you noticed any positive effects from taking your dose of Iodoral......do you have nodules or other thyroid issues?
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the blood tests, my free T4, or something crazy like that, has improved. My energy improved a lot. No nodules or other issues (although my regular doc did seem concerned with the free t4 stuff, I think from th energy standpoint).
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Michael, great to hear that your energy level improved with Iodoral...that's what I need more than anything right now.

Has anyone done the iodine loading test by Dr, Flechas? I'm wondering if this would be more accurate than doing the iodine skin patch test.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger the doctors refused to recognize my low thyroid because my test results were low normal. I had classic symptoms of feeling sluggish with abnormal periods and even miscarriages.

A chiropractor gave me kelp to take for another reason I can't remember. I was astonished when I began to feel better. Even my skin improved. It had been very dry and scaly on my legs and feet. Kelp contains a lot of iodine.

I took kelp for years even through my first pregnancy. It was after this that I was finally put on thyroid meds.

Unfortunately I found out too late that taking kelp through pregnancy can cause the baby to be born hypothyroid - but taking thyroid meds does not. My daughter was a huge baby - looked like a sumo wrestler! She has struggled with weight all her life and is now supplementing too.

So if I were you I would take Armour thyroid, not iodine. It is one tiny pill a day and completely natural. In the end I was taking 6 kelp tablets a day. I was put on meds when I developed a nodule. Now I also test for antibodies.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Thanks, nefferdun for your advice.....I probably will end up going on the armour ......but I've been reading so much about iodine supplementation on other sites that I'm tempted to try it but afraid of it as well.

Did the thyroid meds shrink the nodule at all?

imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just put on Lugols iodine drops by my NP. I have a multinodular goiter. He said it would make the goiter go away and that low iodine levels is what causes goiters.

Am taking the wait and see approach. [Smile]

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Imagine, I'm sending you a pm.....have some questions for you.
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw an eastern medicine doc, and he treated me with iodine until i could get regular thyroid meds from another doctor.

i didn't expect the iodine to help, but it actually did!

i just couldnt afford to keep seeing that doctor..

Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Lugol's iodine. I have just been painting a patch on my skin every other day instead of taking it internally.

It has worked for me so far. My thyroid levels had been slowly starting to dip and finally went out of range. That is when I started the iodine and my levels went back into normal range and so far have stayed there which is great.

Not sure how long I have been doing this now. It's probably been since some point mid to late 2010.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Katie, I'm so happy to hear that iodine helped you.... please explain how it helped you....did you have nodules or just hypothyroid symptoms?

Pam, your results are very exciting and encouraging......since you didn't mention it , I guess you don't have nodules....I wonder if using the iodine externally would gradually help to stabilize or shrink my nodules.....It sounds like it may be worth a try.

JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Katie, I'm so happy to hear that iodine helped you.... please explain how it helped you....did you have nodules or just hypothyroid symptoms?

Pam, your results are very exciting and encouraging......since you didn't mention it , I guess you don't have nodules....I wonder if using the iodine externally would gradually help to stabilize or shrink my nodules.....It sounds like it may be worth a try.

Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have nodules so not sure if it would help with that or not. Could be worth a shot though.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement