LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My son's behavior....possible herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My son's behavior....possible herx?
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had posted before how my son was started on Biaxin for mycoplasma but when I brought him in to see the doc again, we were told to stop the abx since I hadn't seen any changes.

Well, I didn't stop the abx b/c I still had two weeks left and I figured it wouldn't hurt.

His numbers for IGM and IGG for mycoplasma were both elevated and at our last appt with the chiro, I was told he was still having problems with it....which I knew already anyway.

I bring him to the chiro for NAET and dealing with food sensitivities but had mentioned to the chiro that he tested positive for myco. So that is why he keeps checking him for that.

Anyway, I was gonna finish out the abx and part of my thinking was that after he finished, we would have roughly 4 weeks until he gets in to see Dr. C in PA.

I know she is going to draw another WB and I was willing to just pay to have another one drawn to see if any more bands showed up. The only lyme specific band he had was 39 but it came back IND. I thought maybe the round of abx would have an effect on his results.

Up until this past weekend, he had been feeling okay and i didn't notice any changes in his behavior. He came home last night from spending the weekend with his dad, and his dad had some prolems with him at the house.

First, he went into the bathroom to pee, and ended up peeing all over the place! My son has NEVER done anything like this.

When asked about it, he got very upset and he said he's not sure what happened but he thinks he forgot that he was peeing.

To look at him, you would think he had severe allergies. Blood shot eyes....and I mean RED! And glassy...with the surrounding areas all swollen.

I also noticed that his ears were very red. This has been happening to him since he was born and I was also told not to worry about it. It was only recently that I started to pay attention to the timing of the redness. I haven't seen any discernible pattern yet, but I haven't been looking for one all that long.

I laid in bed with him last night and we talked. He said he feels like his mind is going crazy....his exact words. That he has too many thoughts and he was afraid and anxious about middle school coming up.

He just seemed really anxious...more so than usual.

I asked him about any other symptoms but he denied anything else. No headaches, no pain, no stomach problems. Said he didn't feel tired.

I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this may be a herx reaction? If so, is there anything I can give him to help? He is such the picky eater and I do try to get him to drink lemon water but he just spits it out! I did have him take a bath last night in some lavender epsom salts. Seemed to calm him down a bit.

What else can I do?

When he said he felt like his mind was going crazy, I just wanted to cry. I know exactly how he feels and I just hate that he feels that way.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philly78,

Bladder dysfunction or urine control problems are a common symptoms of Lyme Disease. I've had problems with stopping... I would think I was done, only to release again uncontrollably it seamed after zipping up.

This was only occassional early before diagnosis. Just made me more aware to give a little more time after thinking bladder was empty.

Strange disease...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

That is very sad.

Is he doing enough detox stuff? If it was a brain herx, then I would think that removing the neurotoxins might help.

Have you tried giving him bentonite clay in the morning? It doesn't have a taste, so it should be easy to get down. I would definitely mix it in with some psyllium husks to prevent constipation.

This is my favorite stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Yerba-Prima-Bentonite-Detox-1-pound/dp/B00016XI7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312204441&sr=8-1

philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. I do think he has lyme gmb. My gut instincts are rarely wrong and this is what my gut is telling me.

Very said indeed James! My heart just breaks for him. He did get a good nights sleep last night and seemed to be less swollen around the eyes this morning.

I haven't tried betonite clay. I've never tried it on myself either though. I'm just gonna order it right now and pay to get it overnight shipped.

What do you think about giving it at night? I'm assuming it must be given away from abx and I'm still not finished what he has.

As for the psyllium husks....is that hard to get down? He is soooo the picky eater and drinker! He doesn't even drink anything but water and apple juice, which I have pretty much put that a bare minimum these days. Mostly water for him.

I was going to see if he would actually lay with the castor oil packs but I don't think he'll even sit still long enough to do it.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bladder dysfunction, blood shot eyes, and mood shifts...Bartonella??

Sounds like my Bart. Zith hit my Bart, wonder if Biaxin can also since its in the same family...

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

I think the psyllium is more difficult to down, because of its strange texture. Personally, I don't like to drink it myself. I think he will have a problem with it.

Then just stick to the bentonite alone. Many people do it like that. Maybe you want to start out low, like at 1/2 a tablespoon, just to make sure it doesn't get him constipated.

BTW I have NO IDEA whatsoever about childrens' dosages. All I know is that adults usually take 1 Tbsp.

Some sources say to do the bentonite detox 3 times a day on an empty stomach. I just do it once in the morning. It depends on how much detoxing you want to do.

It should be taken away from other supplements and abx because it will absorb those and will leave nothing for the body.

Another thing to consider is that some people prefer activated charcoal or apple pectin instead of the bentonite. I haven't tried either of the other two, so I can't say anything about them. My guess though is that maybe the charcoal doesn't taste so good, and maybe the pectin has a strange texture. Bentonite is as easy as water to get down.

If he starts to get constipated from the bentonite (or if he had a preceding problem), then maybe you could give him more magnesium or vitamin C to soften his stools? Again, I don't know what's safe for children. But usually there are many other benefits to giving mag and C.

James1979
Unregistered

I forgot to add: usually they say to take it at least 1 hour away from food and pills, so that it doesn't absorb those. Some sources say to leave 2 hours, but I think that's a little extreme. Do whatever you think.
philly78
Member # 31069

Thanks Jamers. I have been diagnosed with bart so that wouldn't surprise me in the least!

One of the other things my chiro said was that my little man had a problem with parasites. He gave me para-chord and I give him 5 drops in the morning in a glass of water.

Ingredients can be read at the following site.
http://www.evitamins4u.com/parachord?page_566308336=1

Now...we've actually been on this for a little longer than the abx...a month maybe? I haven't really seen many problems since starting it, and my son's bowel patterns have actually become more regular.

What I'm wondering now, is if the addition of the abx made it too much to handle for him. So I'm most definitely going to try my hardest with detoxing.

One more question. Anyone have any experience with JMT? Jaffe-Mellor Technique.

I didn't even think of this or put the connection together in my mind until just now but my son had his second treatment of this done last Wed. The way it was explained to me, was that he would feel worse before feeling better.

We had the tx done of Wednesday late in the day and by Friday night, the problems started. I know the abx could finally be doing something, but now I'm wondering is this has had an impact as well.

--------------------

philly78
Member # 31069

Thanks for the info James. I have heard others mention apple pectin as well. Forgot about that.

I do try to let him sleep in as late as possible, so I may try doing the clay or whatever I decide at night.

Looks like I'll be doing a good deal of researching today!

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

If you think he might have parasites, look into the salt/C protocol. I started doing that recently. It's ridiculously inexpensive, yet (supposedly) very beneficial.

I don't think it's too difficult to drink the salty mix - at least not for me. But some people use salt tablets if they don't want to drink salt water.

philly78
Member # 31069

That is one therapy that I will not do without a doctors supervision. If it were for me, I'd chance it, but not with my little man.

If he were home all day, it would be different. But he goes to camp and I wouldn't want to risk him not drinking enough water.

You did start this James? Hows it going so far? I was considering it for myself, but to be honest I'm not really sold on the idea.

I know it has worked very well for gael, and I respect her opinion...very much so! But I'm too nervous!

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

Yeah, I started the salt/C almost two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I am not able to discern what effects it has on me because I started the coffee enemas on the same day. But in general I've been seeing great improvements since I've started both of those therapies. I really feel like I'm 100% symptom-free right now.

I do know this: I felt nothing negative from the salt/C. Too bad I don't have any more details to share.

I really haven't studied about it a lot, and I don't understand the science behind it. I hope to research it some more in the future.

Oh, this reminds me of another thread I started about salt/C. I want to bump that one up now for more answers.

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said, "He said he feels like his mind is going crazy...too many thoughts...afraid and anxious..."

An SSRI antidepressant can help this, but he's so young.
Look into OmegaBrite.
http://www.omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

Is he taking magnesium?
This can help with anxiety.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Thanks Carol. I actually just started him on the omegaBrite yesterday at the suggestion of another member. Marnie I think.

I do give him a MVT but never even thought about giving him some magnesium. I'll have to look into the dosages and I think I may try that as well.

I wonder if the magnacalm would help. I actually have some packets of that.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement