LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help! Yucky spikes sticking out from under my tongue! What is it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Yucky spikes sticking out from under my tongue! What is it?
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuck yuck yuck. This is so gross and I don't even want to look at it.

First of all, my entire tongue is numb and hurts now because I was a little aggressive last night with trying to remove the thrush. I rinsed tons of times with Listerine and h2o2. I rubbed straight grapefruit-seed extract on it a couple of times. And in general I think I brushed it too hard. I never brush underneath the tongue, or do anything to that area. It just comes into contact with the mouthwashes.

A lot of thrush came off from the top of my tongue, but I think I damaged my tongue nerves a little.

Just now I was examining my tongue, and I looked underneath it. It looks like there are white spikes (like needles) coming out! They are pretty long, like maybe 1 cm. YUCK!

There aren't any spikes on the top or sides of my tongue.

I'm almost positive that I looked under my tongue yesterday before I had cleaned it aggressively that evening, and it looked normal at that time.

BTW I've been pretty much symptom-free from Lyme for about a week now, and my body and mind feel great. Just my tongue hurts from after last night.

Have you ever heard of this? What is it?

THANKS!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I have been looking all over for this.. Do they hurt? Is it an ulcer of some sort.

Could it be? Hairy Leukoplakia

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be from the GSE. You're supposed to dilute the GSE...at least that is my understanding. I wonder if that contributed to the problem. It could have caused a burn.

Are you sure that what you have is thrush? I only ask b/c you seem so vigilant about the diet and doing everything to avoid yeast.

It is possible it could be something else. Have you ruled out leukoplakia and oral lichen planus? Both can cause problems on the floor of the mouth as well.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Fuel - Do you have the same thing?
I think the spikes hurt, but my entire tongue is both hurting and numb now because I was too aggressive with it last night.

I haven't eaten anything all day yet because I'm a little afraid to eat. I'll have to eat something soon though because I've been doing a lot of manual labor today.

My tongue doesn't look like any of the pictures in that leukoplakia link.

Philly - you're right, maybe the GSE is too strong. The first time I applied it undiluted a few weeks ago a TON of black stuff came off my tongue. That's why I thought it was good. I don't do it too frequently.

Now the black stuff has never come back (I almost assumed it was from the Flagyl, which I've been off for a month now). But I keep getting light-brown colored growths.

I think it looks like thrush, only it's brown instead of white. I think it's weird.

I wonder if it's not thrush, especially because it's never white...

And yes, I'm extremely careful with my diet, and I keep my mouth impeccably clean. My teeth are always squeaky clean like from the dentist, and I never allow anything to stay on my tongue for more than a few minutes.

You are correct, Philly, that it might be something else. It might be oral lichen planus, especially because I've started getting strange bumps on my lips too these last few weeks.

I got kinda grossed out from looking at all the sick mouth pictures on the web, so I have to take a short break from this. I have a ton of work to do today anyway.

Thanks a ton for the replies!! God bless.

Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone posted a link a while ago that showed different tongue stuff and how to diagnosis yourself. it was very informative. maybe do a search here?
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James - No I don't have too many problems with mouth sores..

I just wanted to help because you are always there for me [Smile]

If it is not white I don't think it is thrush. All the research I did turned up white=thrush

Ditto on the pics, yuck..

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know! I can tolerate a good deal of things but the pics are gross! Lol. I'll look too and see if I can come up with anything else.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James.

Are you doing any salt/c or antiparasitics? Sounds like the spikes could be parasites.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've heard thrush can be brown

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P. S.

Just saw on the Gerson thread that you are doing salt/c. The parasites/worms hate it and will try and run from the salt to escape.

Sounds like that is what's happening under your tongue. Watch for more escapes in the toilet as well. [Smile]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Gael, that's interesting that it might be parasites.

They seem to be changing. I looked under my tongue a couple more times today, and I think it looks different every time. It really does look like there is some stuff trying to come out. Very gross.

I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not making any conclusions yet.

I'll probably try to take extra salt/C today and see how that goes.

Dang, I still haven't eaten anything yet today. I feel so gross with this stuff on my tongue!

I'll update this thread with any progress I see. Hopefully one day it might be able to help someone else also.

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there are taste buds under the tongue they could be inflamed taste buds.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think salivary glands can look like that when inflamed.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please have your mouth visually checked by a doctor immediately to rule out oral cancer or a nasty fungus.

I had a black tongue and it was a fungus, not yeast. A couple of years later I had a white tongue. My LLMD gave me a liquid to swish around in my mouth and that got rid of it.

I hope you figure out what it is soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Terry, I tried searching for more info on fungi growing on the tongue, but didn't find much.

Can you please tell me what liquid your doctor gave you for swishing? You can do via PM if it's not allowed to be posted here.

Thanks a lot.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The black tongue is considered benign by mayo clinic and others whatever that means. It is a fungus that is growing in the body so how benign can that be especially for ppl who do poorly with detoxing fungal toxins. I was on Itraconazole for that.

The white tongue is candida. I was put on a compounded antifungal Amphotericin B and prescribed nystatin liquid for swishing 3X daily.

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Thanks a lot for the answer, Terry.

That's why I was confused - because most sources say that it's not a big deal.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spikes might be from the hydrogen peroxide. If I clean around my feeding tube with hydrogen peroxide, I get these spikey balls that hurt like heck around my feeding tube. It is the peroxide mixing with the blood from the granulation tissue (abnormal tissue growing around the hole for my feeding tube; the body's way of protesting having a foreign object poking through my skin into my stomach).

So if your vigorous tongue-cleaning caused any bleeding, this could have accumulated under the tongue and, when combined with the peroxide, formed the spikes. They'd change probably with time as you move your tongue around or with different concentrations of stuff in your saliva. Can you break any of the spikes off?

I've heard different fungi or yeasts can grow brownish colored stuff in the mouth.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Yeah, I was confused at first too but my LLMD does not agree that it is benign or he would not have put me on itraconazole- an antifungal. I had no other signs of infection except the black tongue at the time.

I've read that a black tongue will resolve on it's own but that was not true for me because even with an antifungal it came back a few times.

I suppose if you have a healthy immune system and are not swamped with other infections like some of us, it might clear up on its own.

Terry

James1979
Unregistered

Thanks a lot for the responses, guys.

Razzle, your h2o2 theory makes a lot of sense. I think I was particularly rough with the h2o2 the night before. I not only rinsed my mouth with it frequently, but also I let it sit in my mouth for a long time without rinsing it out.

From now on, I'm gonna have to be more gentle when cleaning my mouth and tongue.

The spikes have shrunk down today. There are dark red bumps in their place, but it doesn't look nearly as bad. Also it's less painful. Yesterday it was painful to lift up my tongue.

I can also taste foods again today. The tongue seems to be able to heal very quickly.

TerryK
Member # 8552

If you are using a lot of liquids in your mouth that kill bacteria you would be well served to use a powdered acidophilus to replenish the good bacteria. It helps keep the bad bacteria in check.

You can open a capsule and sprinkle it in your mouth if you don't want to buy the powdered product.

Terry

James1979
Unregistered

Terry - I open one Theralac capsule onto my tongue at least once a day, and always after "sterilizing" my mouth with mouthwashes. Do you think that is sufficient?

Sometimes I wonder if it's a problem that I'm adding more than acidophilus to my mouth (because Theralac has so many other strains). It sounds kinda silly to me, but do you think maybe it's bad to add strains besides the standard L. acidophilus?

TerryK
Member # 8552

James,
That should be enough but if I were having problems in my mouth I might consider doing it 2X per day. The last time right before going to bed at night when you won't be eating or drinking for the night.

One reason theralac is so expensive is because of it's coating. The coating allows the product to reach the target location without being destroyed by stomach acid. You could probably get a less expensive quality probiotic and accomplish the same thing since the target location does not involve the stomach.

The strains in theralac are non-pathogenic so I believe they are benign and wouldn't cause a problem.

Terry

James1979
Unregistered

Terry - thanks a TON for informing me about the Theralac being expensive because of the coating! I just ordered today a cheaper probiotic powder for the mouth.
BethHurts
Member # 32708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BethHurts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that once before! I never knew what caused it...

--------------------
Beth
Undiagnosed since 7/2009

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity. ~Hippocrates

Posts: 31 | From North Texas | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement