LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low body temp Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low body temp Questions
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does everyone with Lyme end up with a low body temp? Why? My entire family has a low body temp, both kids and husband. I don't remember my kids having this when they were babies/todlers. Husband says he's always been that way and is very healthy, I think!

Does the Lyme attack the thyroid or adrenals?

I have been reading the "Stop the Thyroid Madness" site and the symptoms of low thyroid "hypothyroidism" are VERY much the same symptoms of Lyme.

I also read Dr. Broda Barnes book on thyroid and started taking my wake-up basal temp. It's usually around 97.3 degrees or lower.

A healthy thyroid will help fight off infection. Has anyone tried to optimize their thyroid to in-turn get over the Lyme more quickly? Just thinkin'.

Just last week I had some bloodwork to help figure out if thyroid is maybe part of my problem.

-LAXlover

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the low body temp / thyroid issues has a Lyme connection

Dr Burrascano gave a presentation that CALDA published for 40$ 2 DVD March 2011 "Putting lyme behind you"

http://lymedisease.org/lyme_store/lyme_store_burrascano.html

and he talks about it in his presentation

I always have low temp (97) and low blood pressure (100/50 or 110/70) and high rest heart rate 85 - 113

Lyme is said to like lower body T

and may attack the thyroid for it

spookey, eh?

Like in Aliens: "What do you mean, they cut the power!?! They're animnals, man!!??"

the spirochetes are taking over - hmpf!

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harmony,

Thanks for the info! I found the dvd for less and notes from the speech here:

http://bobcowart.blogspot.com/2011/03/notes-from-burrascanos-talk-march-21.html

Always look forward to Dr. B's info!

-LAXlover

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low body temperature (below 97.5) is common with lyme disease.

My temp was 95-97 for over three years, never had this problem before lyme disease. I haven�t taken it for about year, but the last time it was around 98.

I think anything below 97.5 is a sign of (lyme or something else) is causing this problem.

Doctors just seem to blow it off, like everything else!!!

Do a search on (lyme disease and low temp) - there are a lot of articles about this.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine if your temp is always low, then your sytem will run sluggishly, and that means all parts of the system, even the immune system. The lipid moiety of the blood, cholesterol & triglycerides, will be slightly more viscous and move through arteries, veins, and lymphatic vessels more slowly. The overall sensation might be one of always being a step behind...
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think lyme is like The Borg (Star Trek). They hate heat so they've figured out a way to lower our body temps so they can thrive.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Not all low body temp. issues are from thyroid. Adrenal insufficiency can also cause low body temp.

Exercise, sauna, hot bath/shower - all help increase one's core temp., but the exercise is the only one that permanently raises body temp for most who use it (didn't work for me, though).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LAXlover, I too have low body temperature, vary between chills and sweats and get particularly icy extremities.

I did take thyroid replacement meds for about 15 years, then suddenly went hyperthyroid [ie too much], which worsened heart rhythm problems that presumably are due to Lyme. My theory is that the abx I was on at the time may have decimated a bacteria colony on the thyroid receptors.

I can't really say that I noticed a lot of difference when I was on thyroid replacement [T4 and T3]: I still needed hot water bottles on my feet regularly, feet still went blue etc.

I agree with the others that adrenal problems are also part of the picture and that the bacteria seem to use heavy metals etc to create an environment that allows them to flourish....and that means keeping our temperature down.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always had a low body temp.

with treatment of lyme after being undiagnosed for 8 years, I finally started to see low grade fevers (99.0)

I liken that to the tx of lyme bring out babesia, possibly?

Usually now in the mornings I will be around 98 and then increase up to 99.5 with sauna, baths, even eating warm food and drink.

Every once in a while it will dip below 97.5.

My cold extremities have gotten a bit better, according to my massage therapist.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention, I used to constantly battle cold feet when I was a child (got Lyme/co's at age 4). When I went to College, I began to like super spicy food, so I started cooking with cayenne pepper or other chile peppers frequently. After doing this for a while, I no longer had problems with cold feet all the time, and have not had problems ever since. I believe the chile/cayenne peppers cured whatever circulation issue was going on to cause my constantly cold feet, and I am grateful for this.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both my 8 yr old son and I generally have temperatures of 95 to 96 every time we check it.

Now if I get a "normal" temperature I feel like I have a fever.

I think it's Lyme or co infections.

My other two kids have Lyme and have normal temps. The hubby has Lyme and runs low grade fevers all the time.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement