LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » do not want to lose teeth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do not want to lose teeth
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just at a naturopathic dentist. about 6 weeks ago, I cracked a tooth. underneath, is an exposed amalgam.
I had been going to a dental school for work, but I felt I needed someone who understood lyme and didn't think that amalgams were fine.

this new dentist rcommended an extraction. then a partial denture.
I don't want that. I want to save my tooth. My teeth have been deteriorating for years now, and I feel it is due to lyme, because I take very good care of them.

I don't want to lose my tooth. I don't even feel it is an option for me. I need a root canal. I knopw there is a ton of controversy about this.

Can someone shed some light on it for me? I am not ghoing to just keep pulling teeth until I am all gums. Ive already lost one tooth, and I don't want to keep going.
I havent had a day this bad symptom wise in a very long time, so this bad news feels like I was told I had 2 weeks to live. I am moments away from committing myself, and that is no lie.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel, I had to get a tooth pulled. I ended up getting an implant, it's pretty awesome that they have these now.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I was told no implants either.
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not?
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

apparently the metal implant can be a problem with toxicity.
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Well from what I've read about root canals it seems like the implant is the lesser of the two evils, probably the plastics that they use to make the partials are bad for us too.
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My holistic dentist used a procaine wash when he gave me a root canal and he is quite convinced that that will avoid complications that might go along with the procedure.

Here's his website:
http://www.drdefelice.com/office/afr.html

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be very smart if you go for the root canal. Mine cracked after about 15 years, and my dentist was dying to put a crown on it. I refused, and went to a holistic dentist to get the tooth extracted. It was black and yellow and full of infection! It had probably been infected for years.

I got that cavitation cleaned out and got an implant. I love my implant. No problems. Looks and behaves like a regular tooth.

Sorry you're having a crummy day. [Frown]

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, geez. I forgot to add the part where after the root canal, I got a huge infection in my jaw. Instead of removing the root canal, my oral surgeon admitted me to the hospital, where they lanced and drained the infection through my jaw!

When the root canal finally cracked, I realized I'd probably had that festering jaw infection for the entire 15 years.

So whatever you do, choose a dentist/surgeon who is up-to-date on infection control!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

generally, how much is an implant. I have a chance to get one from a dental school, at cost, but I do not trust it. It is not the cutting edge equipment. I would need to walk around with a screw in my jaw before capping it. It doesn't sound too safe.
Heleneh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heleneh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble with my teeth for years and found out it was lyme. Lyme will wreck total havoc on the roots of your teeth. My holistic dentist told me the problems with your teeth can lead to heart problems. Not to scare you but just to tell you what I was told. All but one of my root canals have eventually become infected. I have one root canal left and it will be coming out. Also my dentist removes cavitations and for me it has helped with healing. Speaking just for myself I would not have any root canals, implants, or mercury fillings. My experience with them has made my health much worse. The cavitation removal has helped me a great deal with healing and less stress on my body.
Posts: 140 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Pretty much the implants have been all of the same technology for the last 7 or so years. I had to have a bone graft so mine was more the the average implant, it was about 4 g's. Dental ins picked up some of it.
I had a screw only for about 1 year before I got the tooth. I used a flipper through that time.
People get pins and plates and all that stuff with badly broken bones so I don't see how this is any different.

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

I also had the screw for a period of time before the tooth/cap was placed. But I think it was only for about a month. Maybe two.

I think the idea is that the jawbone must fully heal around the screw before the cap is placed. My entire procedure took about 3-4 months, in stages. Insurance covered some. I worked out a payment plan for the rest.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heleneh, did you have trouble with implants?
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement