LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » meat...Yuck! please advise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: meat...Yuck! please advise
ihavelyme
Member # 30170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihavelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since treating lyme and bart my food tastes have completely changed. It is very odd and I don't understand this.

I can no longer stand meat...not the smell, not the taste, not the texture! I just can not bring myself to eat it anymore. It was not a gradual thing. All my life I've enjoyed meat. Then one day I woke up and was absolutely disgusted by it. I haven't had any meat in over 2 months. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I pretty much eat a vegan diet now, though every now and then I eat greek yogurt. My body seems to function better.

I have also developed an allergy to egg and wheat. What is up with this? Can this all be related to lyme and co? Why has food become such an issue? Maybe I'm just going crazy.

has this happened to you? If so, did your appetite for meat ever return? How have you dealt with new food allergies?

I truly don't mind following a vegan diet. I just don't understand how things can change so drastically in a very short period of time [Frown]

I guess I'm feeling rather confused.

--------------------
lyme, bart, myco, EBV, yada, yada, yada...

Posts: 40 | From nc | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Lyme can do this.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause dislike of meat, and also changes to how things taste.

Lyme can cause increasing food allergies.

I've dealt with all of the above.

Lyme overlaods the enzymes that process meats (purines, ammonia, suflur amino acids). Vitamin B12, Zinc, Magnesium, Iron and Molybdenum are needed to help compensate for this.

Vitamin B Complex is also important.

Lyme is known to activate genetic predispositions for food sensitivities (such as Celiac or Gluten Sensitivity).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihavelyme
Member # 30170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihavelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Razzle!

This is one crazy disease. Always good to know it's not "all in my head"! LOL!

Do you know if food sensitivities dissipate as the bug and toxin loads decrease?

I appreciate your wisdom.

--------------------
lyme, bart, myco, EBV, yada, yada, yada...

Posts: 40 | From nc | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read of others who have experienced improvement in food sensitivities with treatment for Lyme/coinfections. I haven't been able to tolerate aggressive enough treatment to experience this myself as of yet...but am working on it.

I have genomic variants that cause me to have difficulty tolerating proteins, ammonia, purines, xanthines, sulfites, sulfur amino acids, alcohols, esthers (fragrances, artificial flavors, etc.), and also genetic gluten intolerance (probably was on my way to developing Celiac Disease given genetic profile and family history of autoimmunity). I'm trying to figure out how to tolerate the nutritional treatments for the genomic variants, but am not having much luck so far (still working with my doctor on this).

But I do believe that getting the Lyme & co's under control better will enable me to add things back to my diet and/or stop losing tolerance for more and more foods...

BTW, I was nearly vegan for 14 years (the only animal products I ate were honey and butter), and remain vegetarian now that I can eat some dairy (got the gallbladder out 12 yrs. ago which gave me the ability to tolerate dairy again).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that people with heavy metals (mercury, lead) have a natural dislike for meat. I forget where I read this... so don't ask!

The reason I remember is because my son has NEVER liked meat! He was born mercury toxic from the fillings in my teeth! (we didn't find this out until he was 11) When I read the connection between not liking meat and heavy metals... it was like a light bulb went off.

After 6-8 months of treating heavy metals:
He is now starting to enjoy steaks and pork... chicken as long as it is not on the bone.

[Smile]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

I loved meat when I was a kid (especially turkey). The thing that stopped me from eating meat was the development of allergic reactions to meats (from a combination of leaky gut, caused by GI inflammation, which was caused by Lyme/coinfections, and also the sulfite sensitivity (meats are high in sulfur amino acids, which I have difficulty processing) - but I didn't know about any of this at the time).

--------------------
-Razzle

shadesofpurple
Member # 23923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadesofpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ihavelyme:

This is one crazy disease. Always good to know it's not "all in my head"! LOL!

Haha Lyme is pretty unpredictable,

I don't eat meat either, but by choice.

The thing that changed for me with MY tastebuds/tastes is I hate anything SWEET!!! If it has sugar taste to it it grosses me out. I used to like sweets. I am not sure if that is all attributed to Lyme or a combination of getting older & changing my diet on purpose to eliminate certain things or what, but i hate anything with added sugar. if the sugar occurs naturally I am okay, like with berries etc, but i can't tolerate any added sugars.

Lyme sure effects everyone differently.

Kudos for you for following a vegan diet, it is healthier for you in the long run anyway. I haven't quite progressed that far, but maybe someday.

Sometimes I think instinct kicks in & your body tells you what you need.... or DON'T need. Just my own theory.

Posts: 86 | From Central PA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went from being a real carnivore and enjoying my hunting husbands 'spoils' to being revolted by meat. Like you, ihavelyme, I am now repulsed by it. Sadly the same thing has happened with salmon - on the west coast of Canada here we have an abundance of it and all of a sudden I find the smell, taste and texture of it nauseating. After just over 2 years in treatment I now really only want to eat cheese and eggs for protein.
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up meat 3 years ago but still eat chicken, turkey or fish a couple days a week I am getting sick of it. I prefer vegetarian food but my poor husband has to shift with me.

Maybe our bodies know more than our minds - vegetarian is much healthier.

It was even on the news that almost 50% of meat (including poultry) is tainted with salmonella. The animals are kept in such crowded filthy conditions that they have to feed low amounts of antibiotics to prevent disease. This is what is causing resistance to antibiotics.

In the recent outbreak in ground turkey, they said that strain is resistant to almost all drugs. If you are going to eat meat, it should be organic free range and that is expensive.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest you're not missing much! We don't eat beef or pork and very little organic chicken now. We do eat some wild caught seafood and some tofu but for the most part we have given up on the meats.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement