LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you drink Kombucha?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you drink Kombucha?
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my nutrionalist told me about Kombucha (it's a tea but sour, borderline alcohol traces, and has probiotics)

said to drink it for the probiotics and the acidity to help digestion, since I can't eat yogurt (dairy)

she does not know a lot about Lyme, not opposed but just no experience / exposure to the topic

I like the Kombucha but for Lyme...

is very sour and Bb likes acitity, I heard

Is the Kombucha bad for you if you have Lyme?

Any of you drink it? Like it? Observe effects?

Thanks!

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started drinking it once or twice a week. It is supposedly good for you because it is a raw fermented food. The bottle that I have in the fridge is "Organic Raw Kombucha Multi Green." The ingredients are 100% organic raw kombucha, klamanth mountain blue-green algae, spirulina, and chlorella.

I haven't noticed anything yet, but I just started drinking some last week. It's nice to have a break from just water all the time. Something different that is probably good for me too.

I like it, but it's probably an aquired taste for some.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't drink it. For me the trace amounts of alcohol I think made me a)feel tipsy and b) it seems my muscles and joints ached a lot more. I wanted it to work for me badly. I think everyone's body is different.
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure it's raw kombucha. The kind that is pasteurized loses the probiotic benefit.

It's also very cleansing for the liver. Good stuff. Start slowly.

You might also check this out - http://www.drdebe.com/stomach-acid-assessment.html I take Thorne Biogest for this problem.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't that hard to make your own Kombucha tea, but you do need to have the time to go through the steps.

I make it with green or black tea.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you guys please suggest a good place for buying the kombucha starter/mother?

Also, is it okay if the kombucha is made in a base of decaffeinated tea?

Thanks

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been making/brewing kombucha and water kefir for a year now. I LOVE LOVE it and it helps me significantly. It is a powerful detox and mood elevator. Provides B-vitamins hard to get elsewhere. Living foods will help all Lymies.

However, 80-90% of my joint pain went away after giving up wheat.

Kombucha tastes acidic, but it is not acid in the body. It is a powerful detox and can be hard on your liver and GI at first. As with all things detox, start slow.

*S*

Posts: 116 | From Bisbee, AZ USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink about a liter of Kombucha per day when I have it. I brew 3 gallons a week and sometimes run out - the neighbors all come begging!
*S*

Posts: 116 | From Bisbee, AZ USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

James1979, There are a million YouTubes and FaceBookers hooked on Kombucha and since the SCOBY (mother) replicates with each batch, many will mail one to you for the cost of shipping. As will I do, depending on where you live. I am in AZ and it's too hot to mail right now.
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Also, Kombucha should be TART but not sour. It will turn to vinegar if you let it go too long. If that happens, a little honey will fix the sour and make it more palatable. But when you brew your own, you stop the brew where you like it... usually about 5-10 days.

If you do a second brew (bottle a second time without the SCOBY and seal in a flip-top bottle or a used wine bottle) and add fruit (2-3 strawberries or small amount of whatever you have), it becomes a fizzy, yummy fruity drink that beats all other soda, tastes delish and is very very good for you.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to brew my own, but stopped drinking so much of it. I made a SCOBY from a bottle of GT's Kombucha. It wasn't hard. There are instructions online, just Google, "How to make SCOBY" or something like that.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

James1979 the tea you use doesn't really matter, but personally I prefer fruity tea blends, like Acai/Pomegranite. But it really doesn't matter - prefer Organic teas due to fluoride.

I use bottled water, but have found that tap water gives a healthier SCOBY, but I freak at fluoride so I tend to go 50-50 on tap/bottled.

The only teas NOT to use are Earl Grey and peppermint because they after time, will kill a SCOBY. Save experimentation for when you have a SCOBY hotel full, and so have extras with which to experiment.

It is said green teas are the best, but they also have the highest fluoride, but I prefer black - it just doesn't matter what you like, it is the probiotics that do the trick.
*S*

BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

SixGoofyKids - yes, what i have observed this last year being very active in researching Kombucha, Water kefir and Kim Chi (all probiotic foods) is that AT FIRST, the body CRAVES the stuff and I was drinking all I could get my hands on for the first 6 months or so. I just CRAVED it. Later, my cravings subsided probably because I started to add other probiotic foods. Kim Chi (fermented cabbage like sauerkraut) was the BEST THING I EVER started doing. Probiotics will change your life.
James1979
Unregistered

Bugbit - it's so nice to see a fermentation aficionado!! [Smile]

Do you mind if I ask you some questions about water kefir and milk kefir also?

I don't want to hijack this thread. Should I create another thread about fermented drinks?

Thanks!!! [Smile]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

That is exactly what happened. I ate homemade sauerkraut at almost every meal or snack. I drank probably a quart of kombucha a day. I ate kefir daily. My gut is healed, and now I don't eat/drink it like I used to. I made all those at home.

Now I use so little, it's not worth the hassle to make my own, except for the sauerkraut, which I make before I plan on using it.

--------------------

Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you all!

Yes, my nutritionalist also said to eat Kim Chi with foods to help digestion.

I did drink a lot of Komucha, since it was also the only thing for me besides water, and my nutritionalist pulled me back a little

she said "it is not meant as a refreshing drink", rather just to aid digestion, so just have a little with the food - [Razz]

how do you make water kefir? Is it without dairy? [lick]

--------------------

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Harmony - since you're also asking about other fermented drinks, I'll take that as permission to keep my other questions on this thread also. [Smile]

As for your question: Water kefir is like milk kefir, but made using water and sugar instead of milk. The grains are different, so you should start out with water kefir grains (don't try to make it using milk kefir grains). The following is a good website with the basic instructions:
http://zoevblog.com/2010/03/17/what-is-water-kefir-and-how-to-make-it/

It tastes pretty good, and you can flavor it with different fruits. Also you can make it effervescent if you cap it (similar to other fermented drinks).

Sixgoofy - Can I ask you a question about sauerkraut? I was having good success, and everything was going well. I was eating the stuff on a daily basis. But my last batch was a total failure, and also that was the first time that I had used jumbo-sized cabbages. Assuming that all the other variables are the same, do you think that maybe the cabbages were too watery, and that's what might have messed up my last batch? I think I've read something about that before, but I just wanted to see if others have experience with using cabbages that are too watery.

I think they say that the cabbages were over-fertilized. I always use organic, so I didn't think that would be an issue.

Bugbit - Is it bad if I accidentally leave my milk kefir fermenting at room temperature for 48 hours instead of 24? Do you know when it starts to get dangerous?

Is it dangerous if I leave the water kefir at room temperature to ferment past 48 hours? I've done that a couple of times, and I think it starts to taste like vinegar. Is that unhealthy to drink?

A couple of times I thought the water kefir had a high alcohol content. If someone was trying to purposefully make a high-alcohol water kefir, do you know what they should do? Not that I'm going to try this, but I'm just trying to learn the science behind the stuff. You seem like the kind of person that would know the answers to these types of "weird" questions! [Smile]

Thanks everyone.

James1979
Unregistered

I just remembered another question: is it bad to store any fermented foods in plastic containers? I assumed it was, because of the acidity, but I just wanted to get that confirmed.
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

James, I really don't know. I've used big cabbages before and not had a problem. I've also used small cabbage. I think with fermenting, you just don't get the same results every time. Maybe with the warmer weather it fermented more quickly. Maybe you used more/less salt.

--------------------

Bluemoon
Unregistered

Anaerobic fermentation will produce more alcohol than aerobic fermentation. To maximize alcohol, you would ferment it in a closed container with an airlock to allow CO2 to escape. To minimize alcohol fermentation, ferment with a cover that allows air in(towel), and give it a stir every once in a while.
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

wow - thanks,James, what a cool link

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon:
Anaerobic fermentation will produce more alcohol than aerobic fermentation. To maximize alcohol, you would ferment it in a closed container with an airlock to allow CO2 to escape. To minimize alcohol fermentation, ferment with a cover that allows air in(towel), and give it a stir every once in a while.

Thanks for the answer. I actually tried to do this with water kefir, just as an experiment. I created a 1-quart Ball mason jar contraption with a customized airlock lid.

The most surprising thing is that the drink ends up to be effervescent! I would've never guessed. I thought that since air was allowed to freely escape, this would prevent any effervescence.

BTW I'm positive my airlock is working, because it's bubbling all the time.

I'm not sure if I could taste a higher alcohol content, but I think in general it tasted better than usual. Today I'm testing a new batch with a higher sugar content...

FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOVE Kombucha (GT's)

I wish I was super rich so i could drink it every day.

I brewed my own once but I didn't have the patience to try to perfect it to my GT Standards.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried making it myself yet but this family LOVES Kombucha. Right now we drink the GT brand.

I was introduced to it a few years ago by another Lymie in our support group. Now my kids even love it and I've gotten a few friends quite addicted [Smile]

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harmony, you asked if kombucha is bad for you if you have Lyme.

When you look up kombucha on Wikipedia, it seems to try to scare people with chronic illnesses out of making their own.

Might there be some collusion between Wikipedia and commercial kombucha makers?

Aside from the potential for mold growth on the scoby, my concern is that it's made with sugar, caffiene, and contains alcohol--all three major no-no's for someone with Lyme.

Are the sugar and caffiene somehow transformed during the fermentation process to where it's not harmful any more? If it still tastes sweet then it's got to still have some sugar, right?

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Yeah, Wikipedia sucks now. It seems to be owned by Pharmacy and the FDA. They claim that everything sucks except for pharmaceutical drugs.

chaps - kombucha is an interesting topic, and it's difficult to discern whether or not it's good for Lyme patients.

It actually has Candida-killing abilities, besides the fact that it contains some sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.

Also, there is evidence that it greatly boosts the immune system, and helps with liver detox - all good things for Lyme patients.

So it's a draw. It's hard to say whether or not it's good for us.

Personally, I drink tons of it every day, and I feel fine. I'm still on abx, and I don't notice any Candida issues since I've been drinking it.

I definitely do NOT believe there is any danger in making it. That's all propaganda BS.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Yes, the sugar is "eaten" by the bacteria and yeasts so that the tea ferments. I believe some of the caffeine is, too. I've never had a problem with kombucha keeping me up at night, though ice tea will.

There are people out there who try to discredit kombucha because of its claims for helping treat cancer.

I made my own for a long time, but stopped drinking as much so just buy it now already made.

--------------------

chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working on a batch of it for almost 3 weeks. It's a small batch. 32 oz jar.

I put black tea in there, I didn't even add sugar (I forgot to!). Then I poured half a bottle (about 6 oz) of GT kombucha in there.

After 3 weeks, I've got about a 1/4 inch scoby layer on the top! I guess there was enough sugar (and possibly caffeine)in the GT kombucha to form the scoby.

There is one thing that bothers me about the scoby. There's a couple of dark spots in it and I can't tell if it's mold or not.

I don't want to chance it.

Maybe I'll start another batch, only this time I'll add the sugar and the scoby might form faster(?). Then it might be done before the mold starts.

Is it possible that if the top of the scoby wasn't allowed to stay all the way afloat and become dry on the top, mold wouldn't be as apt to form?

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I can't believe it formed a scoby at all without sugar, must just be from the residual sugar in the GT's.

You can send me a picture of it if you want. Sometimes it gets spots that are darker than others but in no way resemble mold. It's like it's just dark from air exposure.

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

Chaps - the #1 reason for mold formation is improper starting pH. Just make sure your starting pH is lower than about 4.6, and you'll be good to go.

I doubt yours had a low enough starting pH. You might have to try adding more GT, or add a little distilled vinegar.

And yes, you need the sugar.

Sometimes there are dark spots on the SCOBY from the good microbes, but they look very different than mold. You'll be able to distinguish them with a little experience. Just keep the starting pH low, and you won't have to worry about mold.

Of course you should always have the top properly covered, etc. Also wash your hands before you mess with it.

It doesn't matter if the scoby floats or not. It's actually better and will make faster kombucha if it floats all the way to the top. But it's not a big deal. But in general, you want to try to keep it at the top if possible.

If it's dryer at the top, that doesn't lessen the chances of mold. Remember: pH and cleanliness. Amen.

James1979
Unregistered

Harmony and chaps - did you guys successfully make the kombucha yet? Come on, give us an update! [Smile]
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I love Kombucha! It's the best! Bugbit turned me onto it a few months ago (thank god). We have it all the time. It's super easy to make and even better than the store bought stuff! [Smile]

We found our scoby on www.anahatabalance.com

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

my update:

- which is probably on other threads already [Smile] -

I have 5 jars of Kombucha "brewing" in my hallway in quart ball/mason jars - those I could easily get at Walmart (12 for 10.50$ with the wide mouth opening for better breathing of my SCOBY friends [lol] )

I grew a SCOBY from a bottle of regular flavor GT Kombucha from Whole Foods (they give me a case discount, so nice of them!) byt just adding some sugar to it and leaving it alone under a protected cover that can breathe

the SCOBY took about two weeks to grow and I cut it in five pieces (it was in a bowl that was 8" in diameter) and put a piece in each of my tea jars together with some fresh regular flavor GT Kombucha (so I used two store bought bottles for this, well 1 and 1/2 since I drank half of the SCOBY making bottle, he he)

I got the PH test strips from http://store.organic-kombucha.com/

my new batch, before brewing has a PH of 4.0

the gingeraid GT Kombucha I just drank had a PH of 3.0

so I will test my batch after a week or so to see if it is going down nicely in PH

- note: I also got water kefir grains and they are doing Grrreeaaat!!! doubling about every day, but I have my doubts still about drinking this stuff while in Lyme land: may be some alcohol and too much sugar left after it is done??? - not something I want to drink while on abx, wish I could check the sugar content - eating the kefir grains is great!!!! Hope they don't mind living in me now, he he. [Big Grin] Free Probiotics!!!

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got pretty addicted to it, too... Why are so many people using terms like "addicted" when referring to kombucha? it's funny isn't it?

They had a sale on it at Whole Foods so we were drinking it alot. Now the sale is over & I'm high & dry - LOL. Maybe I'll start making it myself. Seems like a fun project.

I had a doctor a long time ago who was really into fermented foods. There's one you can make with corn meal - I'll have to see if I can look it up again. Apple juice used to have "mothers" sometimes - if you got the unpasturized kind. I don't think they allow it to be sold anymore.

There are lots of good easy pickles you can make. I used to have a book about it. There was one with pickled diakon & tumeric... I used to make it alot - now, in retrospect - it's super healthy.

I'm not sure if pickles have the same fermentation going on as saurkraut, kefir, or kombucha.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not difficult to make once you start.

i much prefer milk to water kefir as far as probiotic nature and other nutrients.

the substance created when the grains eat the milk is not a dairy product in the end, just pure living goodness.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement