LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Getting disability benefits for Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting disability benefits for Lyme
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme advocate Barbara Arnold, an attorney who practices disability law, explains what is involved when a Lyme patient files for SSDI.

Click here:

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/ssdi.html

Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another link that may help.

https://sites.google.com/site/virginialyme/help-with-disability

Thanks for sharing jb.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To improve your odds of winning your case -- try to match your symptoms and test results with the case definitions for something like chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia or seizures for example.

The reality is that you need at least one doc who will put in writing that you are disabled and they need to specify in detail what work you can or cannot do.

Hubby won his case by writing his own letter and then having the doc print it on their letterhead and sign off on it. Sometimes you have to help yourself.

He did have a lawyer -- but unfortunately we did not hire them until we got into the appeals process. We never even met the lawyer in person. I think we had 2 phone calls and sent one large fax of info.

Our 2nd mistake was not having the doctors letter in the original filing. It was in the appeal but by then the case ad been decided.

It doesn't matter how many docs are against you -- you just need a treating doc who will support your case. There were over 60 docs and hospitals listed on hubby's application. Only 1 or 2 besides his PCP at the time believed he was disabled.

Hubby had completely negative Western Blots and still won. But he did have one positive PCR for lyme. At the time he filed he had not done a SPECT scan but he did have brain lesions show on his MRI's.

We provided tons of medical journal articles to go along with his test results. You need to submit relevant test results with your application yourself. Otherwise if you have lots of docs the tests can get buried in the file and the doc may not actually submit tests but they might just fill out the form from the social security office or just submit office notes.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added this thread to our Quick Links over in General Support. More info there if someone is interested.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/23463

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know the arthritis i got at 33 was caused by my lyme

but disability took my knee xrays and now hand foot and back also

i know its lyme...but they gave it to my for arthritis---it s objective -they can see no cartilage

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good test that can help with disability claims is a neuropsych exam -- but make sure the person administering the test is lyme literate.

I have no connection to the lawyer in this blog, but the case discussed involved lyme disease so it is relevant to this discussion.

http://iwantmydisability.blogspot.com/2011/03/lyme-disease.html

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry23
Member # 28383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerry23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received it in NY, but I had autoimmune disorders under my belt before lyme was diagnosed. Within a month of diagnosis of Sclero, CFS, and Fibro, I was diagnosed with Lyme. Within 4 months, I was approved, I am 50 years old too. My son went for it at 23 for a back injury (herniated discs), sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, and then lyme and he was denied. We appealed it and still have heard nothing. It takes months for a judge to look at cases. So I figure another 3 months and we will know. He has chronic lyme, he is shot. He does NOT want disability, he wants to be normal and work.

--------------------
30 Supplements
Awaiting new protocol
Diagnosed 2nd time 9/08/2011
with positive western blot
No co infection

Posts: 74 | From Pine Island, NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried for SSDI due to severe, constant nerve pain in my feet & legs a long time ago, but was denied because of lack of medical documentation (my doctors did not document my symptoms) and insufficient work credits.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
ILADS Annual Conference, November 2012, Boston, MA

Disability issues, four parts:

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_kantor.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease Part I:

The Process: How disability is defined and evaluated under private insurance policies

Glenn Kantor, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video clip at link above.

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_rafik.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease Part II: Making the Case:

The medical and legal elements of making a claim for disability benefits for individuals suffering from chronic Lyme.

Mala M. Rafik, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video preview at link above.

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_riemer.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease, Part III: Overcoming the Hurdles:

How to defend against the various justifications for denying coverage, including the mental illness defense and the claim that chronic Lyme does not exist or is not objectively verifiable.

Scott Riemer, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video preview at the link above.

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_kilpatrick.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease, Part IV:

Working Together: How providers and lawyers can collaborate to effectively represent
their disabled patients

Glenn Kantor, Esq, Mala M. Rafik, Esq, and Scott Riemer, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video clip at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experience, they really don't care what you call your malady, it is function or lack of function that has to be documented.

I couldn't get it on Lyme. I used Fibro, CFS and migraines.

I have had one knee surgery, have no cartilage around my patella on either knee from Lyme and had an accident that caused herniated discs in my back and neck.

With so many who are not disabled trying to get a free ride, it makes it hard for the people who really need the disability to get it when they need it. Documentation is everything.

Took me two years and a lawyer to get it.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Judie just posted this at another thread:

How To Talk with Your Physician About Supporting Your Disability Claim

http://www.scottdavispc.com/article/how-to-talk-with-your-physician-about-supporting-your-disability-claim
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement