LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heavy metal testing BEFORE amalgam removal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heavy metal testing BEFORE amalgam removal?
canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 5 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading a recent thread on amalgam removals, I am once again considering the idea...although I just would rather ignore the whole thing, as my mouth is so full of metal that it would be an incredible undertaking...

My LLMD wanted me to do heavy metal testing a while back, and I never did it, but I am thinking of getting the kit at my next appt and doing the testing.

Are the results of these tests significant? In other words, if all of the zillion cavities in my mouth (and root canals, crowns, etc) are impacting me physically, then will my results show a high level of mercury?

And if they don't, do I still consider amalgam removal, or is it at that point a waste of time?

Thanks. CB

Posts: 114 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I am considering the same. I have 17 fillings.

What test are you getting done?

I hope someone with lots of amalgam knowledge finds your post and answers some of these questions. I'm interested as well.

Good luck to you

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if there's anyway to know exactly how much the metals are affecting you since everyone is different. We do know for sure that heavy metals are toxic to everyone. But they can affect each person differently. If you have mercury and you do a challenge test, it will show. I think it's pretty much used as a before and after test, so you know how much your levels have come down
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Fyrecracker, I am not sure which test but I know that it's a little kit and it's a urine test that I send to Paris, France. It costs about $100.00. My LLMD says there are no good heavy metal tests in the US. (I don't know how true this is, just quoting her).

You should like me, I have so many fillings, I lost count but close to 25. Maybe more. If it would help me feel better, I would do it. Just wish I knew for sure!

Posts: 114 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the test (Doctors Data) and my mercury levels were fine. However, my lead and gadolinium (sp) levels were not. So where does this leave me? I dunno. I have a lot of fillings and crowns.

It is my understanding that patients need to remove the metals in order to get better with abx. My guess is that this is because the metals cause yeast, and if you don't get the metals out, the yeast will rule, and you will get no where. I don't know this for sure, it's just a guess.

So I am on a strict anti yeast diet (as strict as it gets--Burrascano's). The only starch I can eat is quinoa. No sugar, no fruit, no artificial sweeteners, no stevia, no xzyletol (sp).

I don't really know if removing my fillings would help. I feel like I am getting better. I have a good handle on the yeast now (99%). My doc and I are waiting to see if I keep improving (been on abx for 4 mos now). So far, so good. [Smile]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://livingnetwork.co.za/dentalnetwork/root-canals/root_canals_and_cavitations/

The only chance I had to get well from Lyme was by removing heavy metals and root canals. Most toxic metal tests are inconclusive for various reasons.

The added problem with many with Lyme is KPU/HPU which adds to the inability to release the metals. Check the many threads that have been running here on KPU - a problem that is devastating but easily solved.

Educate yourself before you do the work and find a dentist who is not toxic with metals him/herself. Most of them are so toxic they have forgotten that
there is hardly a worse toxin to the human brain and body than mercury and that root canals release mercaptans that are carcinogenic.

Bartonella lives in the teeth and jawbone. Getting rid of them is literally impossible unless you start detoxing the system, treat parasites, and remove their comfortable hangout.

Even the best LLMD's now understand and pay attention to the toxic metal problems. Dr. B.
and Dr. K. have become friends and they spend time in Think Tanks together trying to solve problems.

Toxic heavy metals are a major neurotoxin affecting every body compartment and organ.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,

A question for you, could heavy metals cause palpatations? You mentioned they are neurotoxic so I'm assuming they could.

I have palps with heavy meals and even with a full bladder. I def. feel my body and nervous systme is inflamed and irritated. Hopefully the test results will show what's going on.

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lada
Member # 32618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the testing and my level was just fine. I also had a little problem with palps for a short time but they went away. I think the palps are more lyme and co related. I also read that thread and wondered about removing the few I have. I think I'm going to just leave them and let the protocol I'm following do it's job to rid the bb and friends.
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustangDennis
Member # 33446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustangDennis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW about this everyone a dentist told me if he drops it on the floor ( new) he is supposed to remove people and have a hazmat team clean up

that if i understood him but if he drills old ones you swaloow alittle oh well so what

he told me screw the test go with the trend we replace them start with the big old ones first if you feel better thats what counts

europe is way ahead of us in this his comments the old ones are more dangerous

i only did a couple big ones and it i fewlt better the reason i brought this up with a dentist I GOT VERY SICK AFTER ANY DRILLING OF A FILLING

--------------------
Mustang

Posts: 2 | From Independence Ohio | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mindy,

Those test are inconclusive for many reasons.

If you've had amalgams before you have mercury toxicity.

Odds are most Lymies have mercury and lead issues.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Symptoms of heavy metal toxicity originally led me here, lymenet.org. I was passing out after sitting for a long time and then standing up. Poor sleep, memory issues, numerous lyme like symptoms.

Initially no thought of Lyme as an issue so my doctor suggested I take the hair test and the DMPS challenge test. The hair test did not work for me because my body was holding on to the mercury. Mercury did not show up in the hair.

The 5 hour DMPS challenge test showed me as 700% over the max allowable (which should be zero but it is not). I had to remedy 18 teeth including two crowns. It took 2 1/2 years. My doctor follows Dr. K's heavy metal detox protocol, he has numerous papers and presentations on heavy metal detox. I also read Cutler's, PhD. approach but found it hard to stick with and now do it for a couple of days in between the DMPS infusion (you can get DMSA from VRP.com and iherb). DMPS infusion can be an issue for some but my doc has not had any issues with her patients and I tolerate it well. I actually feel a little better after each treatment, more energy, clearer head but it only lasts about 6 hours.

When I had the crowns removed my memory declined significantly for about 8 weeks (very noticeable) and slowly returned took about 4 months. My dentist used a rubber dam and an Isolite (has a vacuum to suck out the air during drilling) but I still absorbed some of the mercury gas.

I have had 18 DMPS infusions and my latest Doctor's Data test showed me down to less than 1/2 of the orginal total. I have significantly increased my minerals and am doing detoxes to help natually clear the heavy metals, as well as using binders.

Once I started clearing mercury, lead showed up much higher (more than double) than in the initial test. It was explained to me that the metals are removed in layers and what is easiest to remove comes out first. My doc thinks I have about 4 to 6 chelations to go.

For me this has been a necessary part of the healing process. I am now on ABX and supplements along with doing the Salt/C for parasites. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I was at 2 or 3 and am now at about 5. Still lots of fatigue and brain fog but I can tell the abx are making progress.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Matt! Good to hear people making progress!
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When doing the Doctor's Data test, make sure your doctor knows to have base minerals tested too. If they are messed up and no heavy metals are not showing up, it's a good sign you are heavy metal toxic.

Some doctors don't know to look at the other minerals.

There is a post somewhere by Gigi that tells how to interpret these tests.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, some great posts here (thank you Canefan, Gigi, Matt and NanaDubo)! I have to find a dentist that doesn't use rubber dams (allergic to latex).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I forgot to ask, how is it I'm getting better and yet have heavy metals? Is it temporary? My babs is definitely better than it was four months ago (abx).

--------------------

FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mindy, I just saw another post today that recommended http://www.hugginsappliedhealing.com/

It sounds like they don't use rubber dams? I could be wrong but it looks like they send out free info.

Some lyme patients CAN get better w/o working on their amalgams. Everyone is different, so it doesn't mean your progress is temporary. I think amalgam fillings are a major component that can hamper a lot of peoples progress, not all.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mindy,

Often times the metals suppress the immune system.
So in most of our cases the inflammation/symptoms from the infection should be much worse.

In a weird way the metals actually lessen the burden lol

Once you remove them you're sort of exposing all these infections to a functioning immune system.

In medicine, heavy metals may be one of the most damaging substances to the human body.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Fyrecracker and Canefan!

--------------------

canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW everyone I am so glad I posted this, you all helped me so much. I found a dentist in my area who removes amalgams, and I think I will call for a consultation. I realize there are many factors to consider, and I think I need to keep researching for a while.

I took a look in my mouth to see just how much "silver" is there ... it is unbelievable, I don't really have any teeth that haven't been filled (although some have the white fillings).

I remember one particular dental cleaning a few years ago, I had 12 cavities...yes, 12!

I have to look more into what happens when they are removed...seems like that could be harmful too?

CB

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/105879?
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gigi.

Fryecracker, I called Dr. Huggins office and they actually give you a referall by where you live of other dentists that use his protocol

I asked and the lady said they do use dams as well as an air purifier to get rid of the mercury vapors and they also remove the teeth according to how much mercury each teeth has.

I got 2 referrals and will call them to see if I can go in for a consult.

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dentist wore a haz mat suit complete with face gear. I had a source of oxygen in my nose, rubber dam, charcoal block under tongue, draping over face so nothing could fly and and land on my face, elephant suction near my mouth...... they took all the right precautions.
Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

NanaDubo, this amazes me. My dentist suggested he replace my amalgams (fifteen years ago). I let him. He wore nothing, just like whenever I had a cavity filled or crown put on. That must be where I got so exposed to lead (he actually was/is a really cool dentist).

The sad part about it was that the material he replaced my amalgams with (can't remember what the white stuff is called) didn't seem to work for me (hurt when I chewed anything), so he replaced them back with amalgams (but then I could chew with no pain).

If only I knew then what I know now.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement