LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Juicing! "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Juicing! "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" film
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks:

So...my LL Neuro said I should start juicing as it is a great way (actually the BEST way) to get micronutrients so that my body can heal the fastest.

She also recommend that I watch the new documentary film "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." I just finished it on Netflix on Demand. WOW!! Just as good as "Under Our Skin."

I am totally going to start juicing and have just ordered my juicer. I didn't get the $300 one in the movie. I actually got a $68 dollar Hamilton Beach 67650 Big Mouth Pro from Amazon. Consumer Reports actually graded this one better than the more expensive one from the film.

I suggest every one try this. Here is a trailer from the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9SGWcZwk7c

And here is the film website with recipes and support info:
http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Oh and one more thing...my LL Neuro said she talked to Mandy from UOS last fall and she has been juicing for 2 years. She thinks it is one of the things that helped her get well.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE this documentary! I've been juicing since I got sick and I think it has really helped me! I have the juicer from the film and I love it! I try to juice twice a day.

I agree that those of us with Lyme and co should juice. It is soooooooo good for you. I'm impressed that your doctor mentioned it. I asked my LLMD about juicing and he said I should get a vitamix (blender) and make green smoothies (which I also do).

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...and let me clarify. I don't mean we should go on a juice FAST...where all we eat (drink) is juice like they did in the movie.

I may do a 10 day fast to "reboot"...but then I will likely have juice for breakfast / lunch and then have a healthy dinner.

Juicing 1-2x / day is what my LLMD said.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The juice fast is a bit much. What kind of stuff can a Lyme patient juice? Im guessing it has to be low sugar fruit?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've juiced off and on for ten years now. I do love it, but tend to go in spurts where I'll juice for a couple months, then stop for a couple months.

Lymeboy, I juice mainly vegetables.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I juice mostly veggies. My typical juice consists of
1 cucumber
4-5 celery stalks
8 kale leaves
Juice of one lemon or lime

I also add garlic, cilantro, parsley, Ginger, dandelion leaves, and other green leafy greens.

Also read Crazy Sexy Diet for more juicing ideas and info.

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazy Sexy Diet is a great book. I always feel cleaner when I juice, Im just too lazy right now to do it. Time to get back on the wagon!

Lymboy-you can do the above veggies mentioned by Runner and add: 4 romaine lettuce leaves, and 1/2 of an apple or pear (low glycemic fruits). The fruits just sweeten it up a bit.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Green Apples and Lemons are ok.

The "Mean Green" drink from the movie is Kale, Cucumber, Celery, Green Apple, Ginger, Lemon.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I juice carrots, beets, cucumber, kale, watermelon, green apples... I LOVE to juice!

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this info, bcb. Maybe it will motivate me to try experimenting with juicing once more.

Years ago, when Under Our Skin made its initial premiere, the principals involved with the film participated in an on-line chat on Twitter.

Mandy Hughes was among the participants. During that chat, Mandy highly recommended juicing and stated that it had played an important part towards her ongoing healing.

Mandy highly recommended the book, "Green For Life."

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IckyTicky:
I juice carrots, beets, cucumber, kale, watermelon, green apples... I LOVE to juice!

Hey sounds like you got my recipe! LOL

Although I only use watermelon for the girls but I do sub papaya for myself for the enzymes. The beauty about juicing is you can mix and match them in any combo. I once added gauva and it made the juice smell soo yummmy!! Not a lot of juice though... but the scent is so awesome!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched this last night. Loved it!! What an inspiring movie. Thank you for letting us know about it.
Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

My pleasure. My juicer arrives today. I think I"m going to do a 10 day juice fast and then try to juice 2x / day afterwards.

My LL Neuro says this will really help our treatment as it provides an "explotion" of nutrients to our damaged cells, thereby helping them heal much faster.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think juicing is great as well! I was juicing but have slacked off for a while now. I really need to get back into it. I just bought my typical juicing veggies so maybe now I will get back to it.

I switch it up which is what people suggest that you do. I like to use spinach, kale, celery and an apple. I use other stuff too. You can put most anything in there.

OH and the thing with the expensive juicers is that actually they are better. There is a reason why those are recommended.

You want a juicer that slowly presses or masticates the juice so that you keep as many of those good healing enzymes in tact.

The less expensive juicers are usually centrifugal juicers. They juice fast and are efficient which is what people love about them (and probably why consumer reports rated them better).

BUT the problem with those juicers is that they juice so fast that they heat up the juice too much and kill off a lot of those good enzymes that we want from juicing when we are trying to heal.

Actually...the expensive Breville juicers that it looks like they use on the movie website is actually a centrifugal juicer. If I were going to spend that much money I would get an Omega masticating juicer. The one I have is actually $229 on the Omega website. So you can get a better juicer for cheaper than the ones they are recommending.

Anyhow...just wanted other people to know why the masticating/single gear juicers are the one that are normally recommended for juicing.

However, if people can't afford those the lesser expensive ones are certainly better than not juicing at all. I am sure you still get some good benefits from that as well.

Congrats on starting your juicing BCB1200!!! I do think it is very good for you and can only help us in this journey to get well.

I have heard some good things about this movie lately. I am going to have to watch it. It really sounds great!

Take Care!
Pam :-)

[ 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Pam08 ]

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH and by the way bcb...

You might want to start out slow before doing the 10 day juice fast right off the bat. When you first start juicing sometimes you can herx from it so normally it is recommended to start slow and build up.

When I first started it made me feel so sick to my stomach and gave me a headache. I knew to expect that though. I could only start with 4 ounces of juice and worked my way up from there.

So definitely be aware of that. Maybe you can start off slow and see how it goes before trying a juice fast.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement