LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » spinal tap?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: spinal tap?
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video of Coach Pat Summitt has an interesting comment by her son concerning her diagnosis of early onset dementia:
"With a spinal tap, it's about as close as you can get to a diagnosis."

Any suggestions about what he meant?
I've never heard of a spinal tap helping to diagnose Alzheimer's or dementia.

Do you think the doctors at Mayo told them that?

[ 08-26-2011, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: cbb ]

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she really needs to get to a LLDM and a western blot

mayo are Lyme deniers

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is a test looking for proteins related to amyloid plaques. I did think it was a bloodtest, but it might be done on the CSF. Regardless, if that is what they are testing I have read that the presence of the plaques does not correlate with at least the severity of the alzheimers -- it may not even correlate with the presence of dementia -- not 100% sure.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, you may have figured it out for me.

In reading the Summary of a Lyme conference in New Haven, CT (May 8 2010), under Dr Judith Miklossy (Switzerland) it said:
"...Alzheimer's disease characterized by the deposition of beta amyloid, and she demonstrated the spirochete infected brain cells can secrete beta amyloid proteins."

Putting that together with your response, it appears that the drs assumed that any beta amyloid proteins in the spinal fluid were from Alzheimer's and they aren't aware of the fact Dr Miklossy has shown brain cells infected with spirochetes can also produce beta amyloid proteins.

Thanks.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe she may have dementia, but think Lyme is at the root of it.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that for hubby his brain spect scan was one of the most useful tests as far as actually showing the brain inflammation and I do believe that the patterns that Columbia has on file should be able to distinguish if there is an inflammatory/vasculitis type problem.

If the damage is too far advanced then the diagnosis might still possibly be alzheimers, but I don't think a person could continue coaching at a professional level if it had progressed to that extent.

And I would be very surprised if the coach has had a brain spect scan. That is not a test that is done as part of a typical alzheimer's workup.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cbb:

Putting that together with your response, it appears that the drs assumed that any beta amyloid proteins in the spinal fluid were from Alzheimer's and they aren't aware of the fact Dr Miklossy has shown brain cells infected with spirochetes can also produce beta amyloid proteins.

Thanks.

-
Wow!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by cbb:

Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Scary!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Thanks for all the discussion and opinions.

Since I know nothing about the results of her spinal tap, I probably shouldn't be assuming anything, but it really would make sense to me if that were the case.

I hope that she receives info that will enable her to get an opinion from a LLMD. With dementia, especially in a young person, Lyme should be given serious consideration.

Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twisted Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neurologist has suggested doing a lumbar puncture/spinal tap to discover if there is Lyme buggers in it as to resolve once and for all if that is the root of my issues...as we have exhausted nearly every blood test around that is the only option left...but I fear that it will come back normal...where will that leave me?
Posts: 98 | From Maytown PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon you heed a pcr dna blood test and some good prayer so it hits

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Jon, I've heard that a lumbar puncture is not that reliable in finding the Lyme bacteria.
There's a chance it could be positive, but from what I've heard, it's very likely that it won't show anything.

Under "Diagnostic Hints", a LLMD says "Spinal taps are not routinely recommended...." Will send a Private Message with the link to his Guidelines.

Have you been tested by IGeneX Lab in Calif?
They specialize in Tick-Borne Diseases (TBDs) and, in my opinion, it's much more likely that their tests would find something. They also test for co-infections.
My grandson's Lyme Pediatrician said that Bartonella frequently causes neurological problems.

As you probably know, Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. Tests can be supportive of the diagnosis, but test results should never be used to rule-out Lyme.

[ 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: cbb ]

pini
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was positive for Lyme in spinal fluid and the doctors would not treat me because the titers were not high enough and my blood test was negative.

Do not get a spinal tap!!!

Posts: 260 | From Long Island, New York | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was tested X2 for lyme using spinal tap. Both neg.; however, my blood tests are +. From what I've read lyme is hard to find in CSF.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relying on a spinal tap to 'determine if one has lyme' is like saying there are no fish in the ocean just because you didn't catch any fish when you went fishing yesterday. Or it's like bobbing for apples. You know they'r there in the barrel, but you may or may not catch one.

Good grief, I think they even used something to similar to that quote on a 'House' episode.

Spinal taps do not rule out Lyme. Antibodies to lyme are mostly found in Lyme meningitis - and are detected in the spinal fluid in less than 13% of patients with late lyme.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twisted Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe he wants to do the spinal tap not so much to rule it out but to get an idea of what may be causing some of my more severe neuro symptoms i.e. trepidation in my walk, shaking all over and cognitive issues. Also I had spinal meningitis as a child and he suspects there may have been issues not found at the time.
Posts: 98 | From Maytown PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Getting it done today actually. The neurologist is doing it to rule out many things, not just Lyme. He is concerned that every single other test has come back negative for anything. Heavy metals and everything. Here's hoping...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement