LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sprained ACL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sprained ACL
tickbiter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i think i sprained (hopefully) my ACL when i was doing some weight lifting. My question is do you think lyme might deteriorate your ligaments? I mean what exactly does lyme do to your tissues, does it weaken it by drilling into it? Your thoughts are appreciated, thank you.
Posts: 113 | From south dakota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BleedGreen
Member # 33468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BleedGreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me that it can weaken your joints and tissue if it's left untreated. Something about arthritis and inflammation. I can't say for sure that it actually weakens or damages the tissue, but I can safely say that it can make you more prone to injury.

ACL is a common sports injury so it could be coincidence. Another thing I remember is that LD will target current injuries or weaknesses in your tissue and worsen the damage so that may be another possibility.

It is also common knowledge that while you're sick your body is in a weakened state, this makes you more prone to injury during physical activity even if you have something as simple as the common cold.

Are you being treated for LD? How long have you had it and how long have you been treated?

Posts: 80 | From US | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbiter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had it about two and half years but have been treating for the last five months. I think its just coincidence that i hurt it,not being careful enough.
Posts: 113 | From south dakota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PTrain
Member # 28773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PTrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Lyme for 11 years but not diagnosed until last November.

Lyme can definitely cause issues with joints and tendons.

I had terrible pain in both achilles tendons last summer. Really bad pain in left elbow and down the forearm as well.

These have cleared up since I began treatment thank goodness.

Oh, and I had two herniated disks in my lower back six years ago. I have read that Lyme will cause lower back issues. I beleive that to be true.

Good luck to you. My advice is don't overtrain.
I tried to "get my health back" before being diagnosed by walking, running, weightlifting and it really set me back. you will crash if you overdo with this illness.

Take care.

Posts: 54 | From Northern NY State | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisInMD
Member # 32547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisInMD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My right knee has a scooped out hole where the muscle used to be. I have pain in both and can walk thanks to 8 months on an IV.

I have been going to the gym to get stronger for the last year but it is extremely slow and painful.

Posts: 15 | From Rockville, MD | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement