LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hubby back in hospital !!! 9/4 Update - The Best News

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hubby back in hospital !!! 9/4 Update - The Best News
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we expected a reaction to his new med protocol from the new LLMD but not the reaction we got. This is day 2 I guess. Monday hubby took a pretty high dose of malarone and artemesinin. Ran a fever up to 100.6 and felt bad Monday and Tuesday which was his day off meds.

Temp back to normal when he got up this morning. His malarone and artemesinin seemed to bother him less at the morning dose. Did the first IV Doxy of 200 mg - temp normal when we started the IV. Half an hour after the IV finished his fever had gotten to 102 and hubby was throwing up and shaking so off to the ER.

Just left the hospital -- temp probably got to 104 or so. Lots of bad shaking chills and heaving and tremors and mild confusion and headaches. Finally at 3:00 a.m (after 8 hours) his temp was down to around 99. It was probably the IV Vancomycin which finally lowered his temp. Tylenol and ibuprofen didn't do anything.

Called hubby's new LLMD and the plan was to transfer him to the hospital where they are located. But it was too late to get that arranged tonight -- hopefully will happen tomorrow -- today actually.

I may be without computer access but will update when possible.

The new LLMD is really confused and is talking about doing a spinal tap among other tests - want to rule out meningitis. Of course the local docs think it is the PICC line, but hubby and I do not think so. Bloodwork from tonight not available yet.

Hubby skipped the 2nd dose of malarone and art since he had no supper and was in the ER. Today was also supposed to be his lariam night -- has been a week since the last dose. Tomorrow is supposed to be another day off babs meds -- I am thinking that if this is all from babs then in another day or two that will become very obvious unless he gets back on some sort of babs treatment.

This is hospitalization number 5 this year for high fever spikes. Maybe this time the new LLMD will find some answers. The doc is 300 miles away and I am not sure yet if hubby will be going by ambulance or if I will be taking him in the car.

Hubby had really been looking forward to September -- fall is his favorite season and the hot and dry weather has really gotten on his nerves this summer. Hoping for a short and productive hospital stay.

Bea Seibert

[ 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: seibertneurolyme ]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Bea...I'm so sorry to hear that the two of you are going through this again.

300 miles is a looong drive.
Take care, and we'll watch for updates.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Sorry to read your husband is back in the hospital.

I hope you get some answers from new Doc.

Hugs to you both.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie R
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and your husband will be in my prayers. I am so sorry to read of this development. Please update us when you can, and know many people are holding you in prayer.

Susie

Posts: 234 | From albany, ny | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

I was so sorry to hear that your husband it back in the hospital. This has to be getting so frustrating. I do hope the new LLMD will have some answers and get him back on to the road of recovery. Hugs!

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could he ramp up on this new treatment? Sounds like it hit him hard at the beginning.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do beilive he is fighting babs and the dosage is high for now.Start slowly .I am in the same exact boat.Is babesia and the fever is that he is fighting it .My fevers stooped 9 years ago when lyme was activated and were high when I was taking ( quinine family ) after the car accident and I did not knew my babesia was ACTIVATED in my blood from HEAD TO TOE.
Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that you two are having to deal with this again. It must be so frustrating.

Please tell your husband that we are all thinking of him. And please remember to take care of yourself, too.

Sending hugs to both of you.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for you.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[shake] Very sorry to hear!

Prayers headed up!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this Bea! Healing and strength prayers for your hubby and for you!

And here's a big hug.

[group hug]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brief update. Still waiting on transfer paperwork. Got copies of bloodwork and it just adds more confusion.

WBC was 6.6 a week ago. Was 13.1 when admitted to the ER and had gone up to 17.3 4 hours later. RBC was 4.17 a week ago. Was 4.07 at admission and had gone down to 3.88 4 hours later. Hemoglobin is now down to 11.0 so obviously more red blood cells were killed off. Cultures still pending but no fever this a.m. Liver enzymes elevated, but not dangerously so.

Now for the strange bloodwork which I don't know how to interpret -- both blood calcium and magnesium are low, but someone decided to test phosphorous also and that was critically low -- less than 1.0 and the normal range is 2.6 - 4.7 -- have no clues what is going on with that. He is getting both IV and oral phosphorous to correct that. Also a reference to many vacuolated neutrophils seen on CBC -- don't know what that means either.

Lou -- we were actually ramping up slowly on hubby's meds. He had stopped oral mino and IV clindamycin on Saturday. Had increased the art from 3 twice daily to 4 twice daily but only MWF. Also increased the malarone from 3 twice daily to 4 twice daily again only MWF. He had gotten 3 doses at the higher levels. Changed larium from every 5 days to once weekly but planned to increase dose but skipped it instead.

Just not sure what to think anymore.

Keep us in your prayers please.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about your husband, sending prayers.

When I was in the hospital in October, my blood phosphorous was in the tank, don't know the level, but critically low. They were puzzled, never figured it out.....TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww dang it! Praying for answers and that the doctor/s will figure this out.

Bea...you are stellar...hang in there.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clindamycin made my fever spike and I went to ER where they tried every strong powerful antibiotics inspite of me telling them I have babesia .only 4 weeks after when I took flagyl the fever stopped in my case .They were begging me for blood transfusion as my heart potasium and other things I do not remember were seriously in critical conditions.I could not walk to the bathroom.

The RBC were going down hill quicly as well until I received blood transfusion.If that is the case please do not refuse to take it as it saves for the moment .Rbc were being killed but they were in denial as they were relaying in their test.

Vancomycin made the rash show in my leg to show up.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, your poor husband - and you. Bea, I send prayers your way.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am so sorry. Is this a really bad herx?

[ 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear this.

I have had vacuolated neutrophils along with numerous other abnormalities that all my doctors are puzzled by except my LLMD. My LLMD does not seem concerned but requires that I be tested every 3 weeks. If the odd results show up several times in a row I have been told they will investigate more. My primary (not lyme literate) keeps saying that she knows I don't have leukemia. From what I've read, most of my odd results point to infection.

Vacuolated neutrophils are precursors of polymorphonuclear white blood cells.

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/MedTech/Hematology/lessonMain.asp?iNum=0411
e. Vacuolated Cell. A vacuolated cell is a degenerated cell with holes or vacuoles in the cytoplasm. Vacuolated cells can be seen in severe infections, poisoning, and leukemias, and in cells that have been in Heller & Paul oxalate too long.

Nouv Presse Med. 1980 Sep 27;9(35):2553-4.
[Diagnostic and prognostic values of vacuolated polymorphonuclear neutrophils (author's transl)].
[Article in French]

Grange MJ, Brivet F, Boumier P, Tchernia G.
Abstract

The presence of vacuolated polymorphonuclear neutrophils in blood smears of patients suffering from infection appears to be associated with massive bacterial growth and to constitute a very early symptom of rapidly life-threatening septicaemia. When these cells persist for more than 36 hours, the disease may be considered as beyond control.

I hope Steve gets better very quickly.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

TerryK,

Thanks so much for looking that up for me. I also read that low phosphorus can indicate sepsis.

The transfer doesn't look like it is going to happen after all. Hubby and I are both upset. I think his new LLMD who is still in training and was on call last night may have overstepped the bounds when they said that the main LLMD would accept a transfer from this hospital.

We have been told to let the local hospital handle the accute issues and then to schedule an in office followup appt ASAP.

But of course the local hospital wants him transferred because they do not have an infectious disease dept or physicians.

Once again cultures are positive for gram negative coccobacilli -- do not have an ID on the actual bacteria yet or antibiotic sensitivity.

For now hubby is on IV Vancomycin and they added IV Zosyn. But 3 of the last 4 hospitalizations they used those same antibiotics and if it is serratia again it was not susceptible to those antibiotics.

Round and round we go. Hubby is beyond frustrated at this point. Hospital naturally has stopped all tickborne treatment so all he is getting are the 2 IV antibiotics.

The hospitalist agrees that it is unusual that serratia would cause hemolysis which has occurred every time he has a high fever -- regardless of blood culture results.

We are back to arguements over the PICC line again. We asked that it be pulled and cultured if they would agree to replace it. But so far that is not happening.

Hubby was so dehydrated from the fevers and vomiting he kept blowing veins last night and again today when his IV infiltrated. It took many tries to get another one started since they don't want to use the PICC line.

We are both getting very frustrated.

Tomorrow they should have more info on the blood cultures and we will have to make a decision about a transfer. I honestly don't think another hospital is going to want to take him if they know the bacteria has been identified.

I just wish there were more LLMD's with hospital privileges.

Bea Seibert

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are welcome Bea. If you need any other info you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will do my best to get the info for you.

I'd be frustrated too. I think if they really thought the line was the problem, they'd pull it ASAP since they would be open to liability if they didn't, especially since you've asked them to culture it.

Will your new LLMD allow you to fax test results to their office so they can at least tell you what they think? You guys are kind of at the mercy of ppl who don't know diddly about TBI's.

Hopefully your LLMD can get to the bottom of this infection once Steve is out of danger.

My thoughts are with you guys. It's time for Steve to feel better for awhile!!!!

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, I haven't followed your husband's story fully. But, I know he has had a rough time of it, forever.

Obviously he is killing Babesia if his RBC count is low. That's good. But is he detoxing? He may be so overcome with debris that his body can't handle it.

My heart is with you both.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you get this figured out.

You know more about this disease than I do, but I found it interesting that babesia in animals (cattle tick fever) is also called red water fever, because of the hemolysis in the RBCs.

And there might be similarities to malaria, as described in this info:

These parasites enter the bloodstream of a host when bitten by an infected mosquito and then at first migrate to the liver where they will multiply before returning right back into the bloodstream to invade the red blood cells. After that the parasites continue to multiply inside the red cells until they burst releasing huge numbers of free parasites into the blood plasma causing the well known fever associated with the disease. This phase of the disease occurs in cycles of approximately 48 hours.

The free parasites then will try to infect any mosquito that feeds on the host�s blood during this phase. The cycle will continue as the parasites multiply inside the mosquito and then eventually invade its salivary glands.

Malarial attacks present over 4 to 6 hours with shaking chills, high fever, and sweating, and are associated with headache, fatigue, dizziness, vomiting, abdominal cramps, nausea, dry cough, muscle or joint pain, and back ache. The attacks may occur every other day or every third day.

Seems like the fever in babesia might also come when the parasites burst out of the RBCs. Probably treatment causes the cells to burst, too, wouldn't you think?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou, the RBC explodes.
Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point lou.

I'm praying for both of you Bea. Not just saying that, I really am. I think about the two of you often.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Bea, this is very interesting. Don't know if it applies but seems like it could. For this to apply, perhaps he needs other abnormalities? I've had many of these including the toxic granulation. I've been treating babesia for a long time but still have reactions when we step up treatment. My point being that I was being treated for babesia while getting these results but I can't say for sure that babesia had anything to do with the strange WBC's.
http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/heme1/toxic.htm

Terry

[ 09-02-2011, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about this! Hang in there, you are such an inspiration to me as a caregiver. Your husband is lucky to have your support.

prayers and hugs!

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

quote:
Lou, the RBC explodes.
???????

That's what I said.

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Yes, confirming what you said.
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, my thoughts and prayers to you both. You both are such warriors! I hope that you can get some resolution soon.

It certainly does sound like hemolysis from the treatment. What a catch 22. If you can ever figure this one out, you can write the book on Babesia! Ha, not what you had in mind, I'm sure.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Some interesting information about low phosphorous.

I doubt we will find much about babesia and low phosphorous so I looked for malaria instead since it is similar and has a lot of research behind it.

Fever as a Cause of Hypophosphatemia in Patients with Malaria
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2148104/

Some other interesting research
http://www.sisna.org/abstracts/2011/35.cgi
"Conclusion: Low levels of phosphorus have been previously shown to increase the virulence of common pathogens in murine models. Here we show that postoperative hypophosphatemia increases the risk of infection in humans. This study translates research initially done in mice and proves its applicability to humans. Based upon these findings we advocate for routine monitoring of phosphorus levels in post surgical patients as well as regular phosphorus replacement to achieve high-normal levels and to consider phosphorus supplementation pre-op.-."

Just a thought- has Steve ever been tested for G-6-PD deficiency? I read a brief mention in Dr. S's book about babesia. He said anyone suspected of having babesia should be tested since it can cause red blood cells to rupture when exposed to certain substances including some drugs used to treat babesia/malaria.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose-6-phosphate_dehydrogenase_deficiency

Hope things are going better today.

Terry

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, so sorry Bea! Hope he feels better soon! Prayers being sent!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Update -- A day full of surprises. When I got to the hospital around 7:45 hubby was awake and alert and in a good mood. He had slept really well and said he had a plan. He expected his WBC to be down and the lab to have an ID of the bacteria today. Based on that he planned to ask the doc if he could go home today and just treat the serratia (if that is the problem) at home with oral cipro as in the past.

That plan blew up about 5 minutes later. The hospitalist showed up and acted very surprised that hubby was sitting up and so alert and oriented. He quickly vetoed the plan and really scared hubby.

Steve knew that the nurses had gotten a low blood pressure reading this morning of 92 over 50 (quite different from the high in the ER of 179 over 92. But he just thought that was because he was still half asleep when they took his B.P.

The doc said that even though hubby was feeling better he has sepsis -- based on the low blood pressure and his morning low temperature of 97 something and his high WBC of 19,900.

Hubby and I were both surprised that his WBC went up and his RBC dropped a little more to 3.5 and hemoglobin is now down to 10.1

The lab still has not identified the bacteria. Even though we specifically asked them to label the blood cultures done in the ER they did not do so -- so they did not know which vials were from the PICC line and which from the other arm. They did redo cultures in the ER when they realized their mistake. Plus they drew cultures again yesterday and again today -- so surely from those 4 different blood draws they should be able to figure something out.

I showed the doc the lab sensitivity report from the previous treatment for serratia and he switched the IV Zosyn to IV Levaquin which will work better if this is a serratia infection. He is continuing the IV Vancomycin as well. The doc did say that he might add a 3rd IV antibiotic tomorrow if needed.

Hubby was not at all happy to hear that the doc plans to keep him in the hospital for at least 5 days to treat whatever this bacteria is.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that the lab will have an ID of the bacteria later today. Hubby's mom died from sepsis so psychologically this has him really worried.

He did start running a low grade temp around noon today -- the first since the ER. I am taking that as a good sign since it only went up to 99.6 But at least the immune system is back to fighting and hopefully that will prevent him from going into shock.

The nurses did not get the orders yesterday to pull the PICC line but that did get done today and they are doing cultures on that as well.

I came home to do a few errands and left hubby resting with instructions to try to sleep. He did decide mid morning that he wasn't feeling as well as he thought he was when he first woke up.

Even with everything that is going on it is obvious that the bartonella must either really be gone or the lyme is much less active. Hubby's neuro symptoms are so much better than they have been with previous high fevers. No seizure-like episodes at all. And the tremors are only active when his temps get very high and the dystonia has only acted up mildly a couple of times as well.

Steve is having problems with sound sensitivity and is more irritable and moody than usual, but overall he is doing better than would be expected considering everything that is going on medically. Headaches are probably one of his most worrisome symptoms.

Terry -- thanks again for all the research. They are still supplementing with phosphorous even though the bloodwork shows the level is now high -- just barely out of normal range.

Steve did have many of those other types of white blood cells show up -- and has had them from time to time this year since the fevers started. Myelocyte, metamyelocyte, anisocytosis, polychromasia, toxic gran, and giant platelets were all present at low levels in addition to the vacuolated neutrophils. And bands were high also -- so the link you provided explains a lot.

Will be sure to update once the bacteria is identified or if there are any major changes.

Bea Seibert

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so sorry hea has to keep going through all this. you are an amazing person to stick by his side and help him through everything the both of u have been through.

hugs to both of you

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

For anyone following hubby's story -- it had been 3 months since the last hospitalization. Since his WBC had been normal for the last 6 or 8 weeks we had assumed the serratia infection was gone. We treated for an extra 30 days with oral cipro -- standard treatment is 10 days of antibiotics for serratia.

But on the other hand -- bloodwork showed only one die-off in red blood cells during the last 3 months.

Hubby switched babesia protocols and the treatment may not have been as agressive -- at least not to whatever blood borne parasites he is dealing with. He had a high titer to Babesia Duncani and Clongen lab has seen at least 2 different blood borne parasites that they could not DNA sequence - so we don't really know 100% which parasite might be being killed with the malaria meds.

Docs (including LLMD's) have conflicting views over whether serratia could be sequested in the red blood cells which are being killed off by the babesia treatment.

Hubby and I are both of the opinion that the serratia is not coming from his PICC line but was already in him from somewhere and is coming out when the babesia is being killed off. This question will probably never be answered especially since the confusion over the drawing of the blood for the various sets of cultures.

Obviously hubby has/had a very high load of some strain of babesia or some other blood borne parasites. He has been sick for 10 1/2 years now. His response to treatment is not what most people experience.

Reading the medical literature his symptoms do correlate somewhat with an acute babesia presentation.

I don't want any newbies to be scared out of treating. Even with everything hubby is going through I think he would say that it was worth it if he finally gets rid of the babesia.

Bea Seibert

LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

I'm so sorry that you and Steve are having to go through this yet again. I sure hope they get to the bottom of it soon--I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my how scary and frustrating! I don't know what to say other than I will be praying for both of you! May God gives you the strength and perseverance to continue your battle.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,
I am sorry about this new chain of events. I still am thinking and praying. It is such an awful disease. Please take care.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,
I just want to say I'm really sorry. This all sounds so very scary, and I hope your husband will be okay and back on his feet really soon. I will be praying for both of you. My thoughts are with you!

Tracy

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for you both!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope he tackles this. He must be so worn out chasing this down.

You and he are in my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he able to take anything for liver support?
An increase in headaches is a herx symptom for me.

Sound sensitivity sounds like low magnesium.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Carol,

I am giving him milk thistle and dandelion root. Have cut way back on supplements but am adding them back gradually as I usually do when he is hospitalized.

The headaches seem to be triggered by temperature increases at least in part. But he is complaining of a stiff neck a lot as well.

Still no ID on the bacteria and of course as frequently happens it is not only a weekend but a holiday weekend as well. Doubtful I will be able to obtain any copies of additional medical records before Monday.

Keeping our fingers crossed that the current hospitalist will be on the case for at least a couple of more days. Last time Steve saw a different doc just about every day which didn't work out so well.

Bea Seibert

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fingers crossed for you both, Bea.

I'm really sorry this has been such a hard journey for Steve and for you.

Just don't forget to take care of yourself, too

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending prayers for you both. You are true heros.
Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Update. Good news. Hubby's WBC went down to around 13 overnight. And the cultures drawn yesterday were negative. So the doc says he will start counting the 5 days of hospital treatment with antibiotics from yesterday.

Hubby slept soundly last night and even walked up and down the hall in the hospital one time this morning after his Levaquin IV.

The down side is that the bacteria has been identified and is serratia marcescens again -- found 3 out of 5 hospitalizations. Cultures were negative the other 2 times he had high fevers.

He has agreed to a consult with a surgeon to discuss a port but we do not think insurance will approve that. And since the first set of cultures in the ER were mislabeled there is no way to prove whether or not the PICC line was the source of the infection.

Hubby and I still feel like the bacteria is sequestered in his red blood cells just like the Rocky mountain spotted fever was (got a rash and positive test result after hospitalization number 4).

Regardless of whether he ends up with another PICC line or a port we both agree that he needs to remain on cipro or levaquin indefinitely as long as he continues aggressive babesia treatment. The extra 30 days beyond the standard 10 days of treatment for serratia didn't seem to work last time. The drug sensitivity testing based on his cultures will not be available until tomorrow.

Hubby plans to ask the doc tomorrow about doing at least one dose of IV doxy while he is in the hospital. His LLMD couldn't understand his reaction to the IV doxy unless he had meningitis which doesn't seem to be the case.

If the doc agrees then we will discuss going back on the artemisinin and malarone on Monday so maybe we can tell if it is the combo of meds he was on that cased part of the problem.

All those prayers must be working. Steve and I greatly appreciate all the care and concern expressed by others here on LymeNet.

Bea Seibert

Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Bea. So glad to hear some good news. We are all with you both in spirit. You are on our minds and hearts.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

I am so happy that your hubby is feeling better. I also follow your story because some of the things that have happened to him have happened to me (not to that degree) but it is a learning experience for all of us.

The reason it seems to me that the infection may be from the line is..... each time the fever shoots up, it is just after an infusion. The bacteria gets lodged in the line and when you do the infusion it goes straight into the blood stream.

I also developed an additional infection (I think after Flagyl) but no doctor ever knew I had it until I had a urine culture done (I didn't have symptoms of a UTI). I treated this with quins, was not easy to get rid of but the point is .... many of my symptoms that had developed were from this infection. I was waking up with swollen legs etc....

I also believe that one of my big infections is RMSF which came out more after Babs treatment. IV doxy was a great med for my brain but I stopped using it because it was so toxic. Let us know how the IV Doxy works. Keep us posted.

H

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You both are rockin' it! God is only good.

It will be okay...my husband always said that to me when our daughter was so very, very ill...and I always thought how inadequate that comment was...but you know what?...he was/is right...it WILL be okay.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, Hugs for you and Steve!!
Posts: 124 | From Maryland, USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always, your stories are gripping. And so informative. I'm always rooting for you.

My best to you both. Bea, you are a doctor and a sleuth and a super-trooper.

I'm off abx due to yeast overgrowth, and I'm relapsing with all infections. But, although I have symptoms, I'm not so sick anymore.

My infections are over 20 years old, and the bugs were less virulent back then. So, I feel my progress is typical. A few steps forward, one back, and on and on. I still think I will reach a drug-free remission. And I think Steve will, too.

Keep us posted.

Much love,
BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Haley,

In theory what you say about line infections sounds right. But the line was cultured last time and it was clear. Results are not available yet this time.

But what really seems confusing to me is that this doc decided to do daily cultures. We were told that the cultures from Friday were normal. That blood was drawn before they switched the antibiotic to Levaquin. In the past based on their tests the serratia bacteria is not very sensitive to Zosyn or Vancomycin. Plus hubby had a low grade fever while in the hosptial on Friday 2 times -- once before and once after the cultures.

Anyway, most bacteria do not just float around in the bloodstream -- they go and invade either white or red blood cells. There was a recent journal article that said that babesia is only in the bloodstream for a maximum of 15 minutes before it invades red blood cells.

I haven't been able to find any info on the replication of serratia.

The hospitalist says the plan is to treat with antibiotics for a minimum of 5 days in the hospital after the cultures turn negative. To me that says that the bacteria must be hiding somewhere and the logical place is inside the red blood cells.

Bea Seibert

momindeep
Member # 7618

Have you both in my thoughts and prayers (truely)...asking the Lord to make this day one with answers and calmness for you both.
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Update. The best news. Hubby is home. The doc decided to release him with 18 days of oral levaquin at 750 mg daily. His WBC was down to 9.7 and the hospital was trying to get their census count down over the holiday weekend.

Within a couple of hours of being up and a little more active hubby's temp has been running between 99 and 99.5 most of the day. I guess he is stuck with the low grade fever for now -- still hoping it will resolve by itself, but it has been elevated daily since the end of May and hospitalization number 4.

The hospitalist suggested waiting the full 21 days til the levaquin is finished before getting a new PICC line or a port.

Will be talking to his LLMD on Tuesday, but as far as hubby and I are concerned he plans to resume his babs meds tomorrow on the pulsing schedule and switch the IV doxy to minocycline until we can get in to see the LLMD.

The LLMD was convinced the low grade fevers were from lyme or babesia and of course the hospitalist says they could be from anything.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

Bea Seibert

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good hear Bea [Smile] I hope he continues to recover quickly.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabulous!

[woohoo]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement