LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anti-seizure/neuropathic pain meds BEFORE beginning antibiotic treatment??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anti-seizure/neuropathic pain meds BEFORE beginning antibiotic treatment??
hulagrrl
Member # 33268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hulagrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has your LLMD prescribed anti-seizure and neuropathic pain meds prior to starting antibiotic therapy? I'm likely two years into a never-before treated infection, but I've had other diagnoses in the meantime (fibro, migraines). I just saw a LLMD for the first time and prescribed a month of three such drugs before they'll start antibiotics (my choice of Lamictal, Neurontin, Ativan OR Lyrica, Trileptal, Ativan). I was pretty surprised by this, hadn't heard of it before, and wonder what other's experiences have been. Is this fairly normal or unique to this doc and clinic? I'm apprehensive about adding any medications as I'm already taking three similar drugs (Namenda, Flexeril, and a NSRI for said "fibromyalgia" and migraines).

Thanks!

Posts: 11 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for help.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamalicious
Member # 43611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just been diagnosed with neurologic Lyme by a LLMD. They think I have had it most of my life but have worsened since the birth of my daugher 2 years ago. My horrible neuro and sleep disturbance symptoms began about 1 year ago. My LLMD also wants me to try to control these symptoms with Neuronin or Lamictal prior to taking antibiotics. 100 mg of Neurontin made my occasional bad nightmares worse and my vision blurred the next day. They advised me to try 50mg but the pill couldn't be split, now it's a holiday weekend. The triage nurse advised that I move on to Lamictal, but the side effect profile is SCARY!
I don't have a mood disorder but they said it can regulate sleep and neuropathic pain. What did you end up doing? Any advice?

Posts: 97 | From Rockwall,TX | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See my reply in another thread [Smile]

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/128630

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hula and Mamalicious,

sorry you both are having such a rough time, but just want to say that you might want to research neurontin and lyrica before beginning either of them just so you understand the risks, which most docs just gloss over if they mention them at all.

Like so many things, some people do well and find them helpful, but for others the side effects are serious.

It is also not easy to wean off these drugs. If you don't react well, as my son has not to Lyrica, tapering off is difficult and takes a very long time to do properly.

It's especially hard to do this in the midst of Lyme treatment and can really muddy the waters in terms of knowing what is causing what symptom-wise.

You can go to askapatient.com to see reviews, glowing and otherwise--or google of course.

The side-effects that my son experienced were a drugged-like sleepiness which began a few months into treatment and very severe depression. It did nothing for his head pain. Coming off he's had insomnia, anxiety and palpitations even though we're titrating slowly.

Not trying to scare you, as you could be one of the lucky ones, but it's just that most docs don't give all the facts when they prescribe these meds and most people go into it unaware of potential adverse effects.

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO way I would take those FIRST. Very hard to get off of those drugs.

Doesn't this "LLMD" realize that treating the infection can alleviate "fibromyalgia" symptoms?

Are you sure this is a tried and true LLMD??

Neurontin is about the only one I would try .. and it has its own list of side effects.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/neurontin-side-effects/expert-answers/faq-20057893

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement