LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Candida probiotic treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Candida probiotic treatment?
doyleblueeye
Member # 32399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doyleblueeye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I supposed I should give just a little back story before I go into my question. When I was a teenager (I'm in my late twenties now) I was treated for Lyme for around 6 years (yes that's six year of antibiotis). Just recently I've had some weird blood test come back, I've felt off for the last few years, so I'm going through the process with my LLMD of figuring out if I'm sick again, just not as severely as I was back then.

Lately, I've been wondering lately if I at some point developed Candida over the last few years and maybe that's the cause for some of my discomfort since a portion of my symptoms match up to Candida. Considering I took antiobiotcs for a long time as a kid, in general I need/should be taking probiotics.

My question is how frequently should it be taken? I read a report or two that said it take it for a couple of days, then to stop, and keep on repeating cycle because if you take it everyday yeast could adapt to the probiotic. Anyone know if there's any truth in that??

It would seem to me you take everyday, but I've been out of touch with Lyme for a little.

Posts: 23 | From Morristown, NJ | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BleedGreen
Member # 33468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BleedGreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand you should take a broad spectrum (meaning as many different strains as possible) of around 100 - 200 billion cultures each day. That is for people on abx, but if you have a candida problem you might benefit from that.

There is also a positive yeast that kills candida, I have had good results with that while taking pbx. I forget the exact name, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

This with an anti inflammatory diet (no sugar, carbs, or alcohol). There are instructions for this diet on here if you search.

There are also some herbs that can kill yeast, though I'm not familiar with them.

Did you take pbx at all while you were being treated? Were you tested for coinfections or treat for parasites?

I recommend Klaire Labs (prothera) for the pbx and good yeast, very high quality stuff. You do need a patient code from a doc to order from them, I've heard you can order their stuff on amazon without the patient code or you can have your LLMD get one for you.

Diflucan is a drug that will kill yeast, it's an antifungal. I've had great results with it 100mg 1x a day.

I'm not a doctor, medical professional, or affiliated with any company. I'm just sharing my personal experience with you.

Also, I'm not sure how well you detoxed after tx. Look up coffee enemas and castor oil packs, six years is a long time to swallow or inject poison with no detox.

Posts: 80 | From US | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doyleblueeye
Member # 32399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doyleblueeye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candida is something I plan on mentioning to the doc next time I see him. I can't recall the ways to test, but I know there's some way.

I don't think my parents had access to the high quality probiotics that you can find now., but I definitely was taking herbs and acidphilus when I was younger.

There were co-infections when I was younger and my llmd is looking into those again too- babs in particular.

A few years ago I cut out the usual causes of Candida, but didn't have much luck. Maybe I didn't try for long enough?

I don't know an awful lot about detoxing, it's one of the things I have to look into more. So I'm not sure how we may have done it before.

Posts: 23 | From Morristown, NJ | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take probiotics at least twice a day .. even for several months after successful treatment for lyme.

Excellent probiotics:

VSL#3
http://www.vsl3.com/order.asp

Theralac
www.theralac.com

Whatever you take, take a minimum of at least 100 billion CFU's per day. Wish someone had told me that 10 yrs ago!

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

YEAST SYMPTOMS:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/104816#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doyleblueeye
Member # 32399

I'm already investing in Theralac. Ordered it today.

I definitely have a few things on the symtpom list that make sense, but I haven't been taken long term antibiotics for nearly 8 years, just for cold/viruses.

Is Candida considered a co-infection of Lyme or a side effect of taking antibotics?

Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candida is a result of killing off all of the good bacteria in your system with abx. That's why you need to put the good bacteria back in (probiotics).

If you get a prescription of Diflucan you should be able to tell right away if that is causing your problem.

I have had good luck with Candex an OTC supplement for candida.

I'm just happy to see that someone can get better after treating for 6 years!

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeToo,
You said take probiotics twice a day..... When should you take them?

My husband takes Artemesinin at breakfast & supper, Zithromax at lunch, and Malarone at supper.

We just got out shipment from vitacost today of probiotics. We weren't sure when he should take them to get the most good out of them before the next abx wipes them out again.

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MannaMe-I was told to take probiotics 2 hours or more after taking antibiotics.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement