LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Good news increasing selenium + glutathione level

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good news increasing selenium + glutathione level
Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news for those interested in increasing their selenium level in the blood and as a consequence the glutathione peroxidase level.

In a 'nut'shell selenium is important because there are so many functions in the body depending upon this mineral.
Antioxidant defense, fertility, thyroid function, immune response, muscle development, helps fight cancerous cells, protects our bodies from cardiovascular disease and many others.
It helps to fight bacteria and neutralizes neurotoxins. (Important with Lyme)

And it plays an essential role in the construction of glutathione, the body's self manufactured master of anti-oxidants, necessary for health in all its different aspects. It boosts the blood and detoxifies the cells.
Elevated glutathione levels enables the body to produce more white blood cells.

Now research has shown that 2 Brazil nuts are much better in order to increase glutathione peroxidase in humans than a pill with 100 mcg. selenium. (Gracias Lauralyme [Big Grin] )

Interestingly the 2 Brazil nuts were as good as the 100 mcg. pill to increase selenium levels, but much better in increasing glutathione levels.
Although the nuts contained less selenium (only 53 mcg) the consumption raised glutathione levels by 8%, compared to the pill with 100 mcg. selenium raising only 3%.

Conclusion : Half the selenium in the nuts raised glutathione almost 3x times more than the selenium pill.
So in a natural context selenium is 5x times more effective.

Now that is what could be called efficiency.

Abstract Full

The discussion of the link between Lyme disease, selenium and glutathione has already started on this forum here.

--------------------
"They that are whole have no need for the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance"(Mark 2.17)

Posts: 149 | From Amsterdam | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!! I feel much better now about forcing myself to eat those nasty things! [Smile] (just kidding - they're not that bad).

I wonder if eating MORE Brazil nuts would produce a greater increase of glutathione... This morning I had half a cup full of those nuts.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbiter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm am i the only one who likes brazil nuts? Granted i usually eat them roasted and salted and mixed with other nuts. One thing to look out for, i know someone posted about brazil nuts having alot of L Argenine, the amino acid which activates the herpes virus...so that scared me away from them a bit but your probably better off eating them with all the selenium and other good things in there.
Posts: 113 | From south dakota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love brazils: what's not to like?
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does it matter whether they're raw or roasted?
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
Awesome!! I feel much better now about forcing myself to eat those nasty things! [Smile] (just kidding - they're not that bad).

I wonder if eating MORE Brazil nuts would produce a greater increase of glutathione... This morning I had half a cup full of those nuts.

Hi James, logically 'more would seem better' here, but you can go overboard of course. You don't want to risk an overdose of selenium. The general advice is 2-4 nuts per day, it would be clever to monitor selenium level if you want to go much higher than this.

I put them in a coffeebean grinder and that makes an excellent nutbutter. Easy to digest, much to enjoy. [Smile]

I don't want to shout hurray prematurely, but I am seriously under the impression that my energylevel has improved since starting to eat them.
What a joke it would be if these nuts really would make a difference.

--------------------
"They that are whole have no need for the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance"(Mark 2.17)

Posts: 149 | From Amsterdam | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnsjw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnsjw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 211 | From In my house | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoronaWithLyme
Member # 30372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoronaWithLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What a joke it would be if these nuts really would make a difference. [/QB]

That would be nuts [Razz]
Posts: 37 | From Tampa, Fl | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

quote:
Originally posted by tickbiter:
One thing to look out for, i know someone posted about brazil nuts having alot of L Argenine, the amino acid which activates the herpes virus...so that scared me away from them a bit but your probably better off eating them with all the selenium and other good things in there.

Yes, I think you are right, with the improved immunity thanks to elevated glutathion, the virus would probably be mastered. Just go slow to start with. [Smile]

Brazil nuts

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaWithLyme:
quote:

What a joke it would be if these nuts really would make a difference.

That would be nuts [Razz] [/QB]
[lol]
Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcarry:
I love brazils: what's not to like?

Good for you, Carry. Have you eaten them often?

[ 09-17-2011, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonardjio ]

--------------------

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo:
does it matter whether they're raw or roasted?

From what I have read and understood, raw is always better, because the fats can change through heating, becoming less healthy.

--------------------

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been said and confirmed several times and the conclusion is: Chronic illness is accompagnied by low glutathione.

So probably all Lymies are low in glutathione.

Healthy young people are always high on glutathione. (Probably in a double sense...) [Smile]

Does this mean that raising your glutathione will cure also Lyme ?
Is it this simple ? Or is this too simple a reasoning ?

So a couple of Brazil nuts a day will keep the bad bugs at bay ?

Anyone an opinion on this?

abstract pubmed
print the whole article

--------------------

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

M. Hyman MD:

"In treating chronically ill patients with Functional Medicine for more than 10 years, I have discovered that glutathione deficiency is found in nearly all very ill patients. These include people with chronic fatigue syndrome, heart disease, cancer, chronic infections, autoimmune disease, diabetes, autism, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, arthritis, asthma, kidney problems, liver disease and more.

At first I thought that this was just a coincidental finding, but over the years I have come to realize that our ability to produce and maintain a high level of glutathione is critical to recovery from nearly all chronic illness -- and to preventing disease and maintaining optimal health and performance. The authors of 76,000 medical articles on glutathione have found the same thing!"

--------------------

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is interesting. i'm going to try it.
i was also intersted in immunocal as a glutathione precursor.

it's always better to encourage your own body to produce it, rather than direct supplementation.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Yes Mo, I guess this is especially true for something like glutathione, because it cannot get everywhere you need it even when you bring it into the blood.

More from M. Hyman:
"Glutathione is critical for one simple reason: It recycles antioxidants. You see, dealing with free radicals is like handing off a hot potato. They get passed around from vitamin C to vitamin E to lipoic acid and then finally to glutathione which cools off the free radicals and recycles other antioxidants. After this happens, the body can �reduce� or regenerate another protective glutathione molecule and we are back in business.

However, problems occur when we are overwhelmed with too much oxidative stress or too many toxins. Then the glutathione becomes depleted and we can no longer protect ourselves against free radicals, infections, or cancer and we can�t get rid of toxins.
This leads to further sickness and soon we are in the downward spiral of chronic illness."

--------------------

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More of Mark Hyman:

"Glutathione is also critical in helping your immune system do its job of fighting infections and preventing cancer. That's why studies show that it can help in the treatment of AIDS.

Glutathione is also the most critical and integral part of your detoxification system. All the toxins stick onto glutathione, which then carries them into the bile and the stool -- and out of your body."

[Smile]

--------------------

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

And some more of Mark Hyman:

"If you are sick or old or are just not in peak shape, you likely have glutathione deficiency.

In fact, the top British medical journal, the Lancet, found the highest glutathione levels in healthy young people, lower levels in healthy elderly, lower still in sick elderly and the lowest of all in the hospitalized elderly.."

[Smile]

--------------------

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Glutathione

It's the most important molecule you need to stay healthy and prevent disease -- . It's the secret to prevent aging, cancer, heart disease, dementia and more, and necessary to treat everything from autism to Alzheimer's disease.

There are more than 89,000 medical articles about it -- but your doctor doesn't know how address the epidemic deficiency of this critical life-giving molecule ...

It's the mother of all antioxidants, the master detoxifier and maestro of the immune system: GLUTATHIONE (pronounced "gloota-thigh-own").

The good news is that your body produces its own glutathione. The bad news is that poor diet, pollution, toxins, medications, stress, trauma, aging, infections and radiation all deplete your glutathione.

This leaves you susceptible to unrestrained cell disintegration from oxidative stress, free radicals, infections and cancer. And your liver gets overloaded and damaged, making it unable to do its job of detoxification.

Anyone had it tested yet?

--------------------

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for the tip on Brazil nuts.

I also love them!!!

Another hint for glutathione increase is whey!! Take a glass of non sugar whey, organic, goat or cow, and you feel the benefits too!!

Another plant that shows some help for the liver, never to have low glutathione is milk thistle, if my memory is good. I guess making a cocktail with these products will be a good thing during the whole fight against lyme!!

Brazil nuts was a great hint!!! thanks!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey leonardjio,

how is the situation in Holland for treatment of chronic lyme?

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Brazil nuts the GIANT nut the size of a man's thumb?? If it is then that's the ones I kept tossing out!! Whenever I buy a bag from the Farmer's market (they have raw too) I always pick out and toss them in the trash b/c I don't like them! I guess I better start eating those then...

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

scorpio - yeah, the big ones are the brazils. I think they're the worst-tasting of all the nuts.

Leonardjo - thanks for all of the info! I read it all with interest.

I also took your advice about not eating too many brazils. I didn't realize that it was so easy to get selenism (selenium overdose) just by eating too many nuts! I read about it today in a book.

Leonardjio
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32906

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Leonardjio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the other thread on selenium: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/109275

quote:
Originally posted by nonna05:
Lord, so much info...so can you eat Brazil nuts or not and how many??/I just bought a bag of raw B-nuts and popped 4-7 around medicines to coat gut, plus I thought: sick, so might need selenium...could it make you herx or anything?

Herxing unlikely, but whenever Borrelia gets killed toxins are released, so if immune system works well, it is possible to herx.

Take more vitamin C to neutralise biotoxins.
It helps!!!

[ 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Leonardjio ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement