LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenals - Update

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenals - Update
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, I got a little good news in the mail when I received the results of the adrenal tests I did a week or so ago�.The Cortisol levels, DHEA and DHEA Cortisol ratio are all now in NORMAL range which means that my Adrenals are back functioning�..this after a 2 year battle and treating.
Two years ago when I had my first Lyme tests the Dr also recommended my adrenals be tested and when the results came back everything was abnormal and I was producing almost no cortisol and in total adrenal fatigue�This is a major complication of Lyme Disease as the spirochetes get in every organ and wreak havoc�..I have been working to get them functioning again so I can get my thyroid working�My thyroid is also not working and it can be very dangerous even fatal to treat your Thyroid when adrenals are not working�getting the thyroid functioning is still an ongoing process.
I had the 4 part sputum test by Genova Diagnostics this time.
My treatment for the past two years has been Licorice tea then later licorice extract drops day 1 to 24 each month then 1 week off. Adaptogen capsules from Dr Wilson (WTS meds) and a couple of months into treatment I added desiccated adrenal tablets from nutri-meds. I recently switched from the licorice drops to licorice chewable tabs. From Vitacost.
Good news fellow Lymies persistence pays off and these natural methods do work.

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this info. This is something I have to work on. My last doc mentioned licorice, though I don't remember it being in relation to adrenal.

Can you give me some more info:

- licorice tea--is this something just from a health food store or similar place?

- licorice extract drops, what brand did you use and where did you purchase?

- do you mean you took licorice tea early in the day and drops later in the day, or that for a while you were using the tea and then you later switched to the drops some time into your treatment?

- what is the reasoning between 1 week off a month?

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Licorice can cause high blood pressure and fluid retention....so you should research it first.

Licoric stimulates the production of cortisol which I was not producing much of.

The ND I went to 2009 recommended it. It was 10:1 powdered extract made by People's Herbs Inc and I got it from his office. I took it as a tea in the morning and as far as the taking a break, I am sure he told me why but I was so sick back then that very little I was told stuck with me.
It was on his instruction sheet, I posted it on my refrigerator and just how I have continued to do it.

Reading about Licorice it says to not take more than 4-6 wks without taking a break of couple wks.

For convenience I later switched to drops by Eclectic Institute, I got these at a Health Food Store and took only 3-4 drops each morning, again with a l wk break.

Recently, I switched to the chewable tablets from vitacost, for no particular reason.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoronaWithLyme
Member # 30372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoronaWithLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also recommend vit C. I remember reading how C is used up almost like fuel when producing cortisol. My adrenals were terribly shot at one point where I could hardly tolerate any type of stress and this seemed to help in the long run.
Posts: 37 | From Tampa, Fl | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was taking up to 20,000 mgs of vitamin c per day for awhile because of adrenal exhaustion.

He spaced it out and took vit C all day long. He could tell a difference in a short time when he began increasing vit C.

Currently he's taking around 14,000 mgs of C per day.

He's also taking James Wilson's adrenal supplements.

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you scroll down on this link there is a good list of helpful supplements "Dietary Supplements: Herbs, Stress and Adrenal Fatigue".

But first you must know if your cortisol is too low or too high. Adaptogens will work in either situation.

http://blog.adrenalfatigue.org/

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Yes I also take Vit C but only 2,000-3,000 mg/day and other vitamins and herbs.

this is the adaptogenic preparation I have been taking

http://www.wtsmedproducts.com/Products-Ordering/WTSmed-Supplements/Adaptogen

This is the desiccated adrenal product I take, I tried another one and it made me feel weird so went back to this one

http://www.nutri-meds.com/Whole_Adrenal_Glandular_p/nm-g-wa.htm

And yes I agree with abxnomore you need to be tested first to see what state your adrenals are in.

I have no financial connection with any supplement I take except to be a customer.

--------------------

whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that licorice stimulates the adrenals to make more cortisol. It prevents its degradation so that it 'sticks' around longer. What I've never managed to establish is whether it actually results in adrenal suppresssion via the feedback mechanism, like Cortef does.
Sue

Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news..

I have heard that you need to be careful when taking a supplement with adrenal glandulars. I guess there can be crazy withdrawals when using these for extended period of times

Fuel

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I am going to give some of this a try.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The concern with glandulars in the past was mad cow disease. Many integrative doctors stopped using them, even Isocort has been reformulated to exclude them.

Here is a good link explaining how licorice helps the adrenals:

http://www.adrenalfatiguefocus.org/using-licorice-root.html

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Abxnomore -good article about how licorice works.

Fuel1212 - Yes at some point I will start reducing the glandular but very, very slowly...do not want to fall back. Will continue the licorice and adaptogen to keep supporting my adrenals.

I have learned and maybe this is due to Lyme that I need start and stop any medications/supplements slowly...sometimes only 1/4 tab/capsule at a time

whitmore - Thanks, that seems to be what the above article says also.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement