LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Infrared Saunas - Worth the investment? Any thoughts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infrared Saunas - Worth the investment? Any thoughts?
jalama
Member # 14600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jalama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do infrared saunas really help? I have tried soooo many expensive products and treamtents which were supposed to help. Now I'm looking into buying an infrared sauna but I don't want to waste my money again. I would love some feedback. Thank you! Oh, and if there are any infrared experts out there, do you think this is a decent model? http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203414764&c=10615&v=&ddi=/products/dc/1f/0c/203414764x.jpg There seems to be such a variation in price... Hard to figure it all out. So far, from what I can tell, carbon is better than ceramic, and hemlock may have less off-gassing than other types of wood... not sure what else I should be looking for. Was hoping to only spend around $1000to $1500. Looks like the good ones are about $3000
Posts: 87 | From NorCal | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jalama, have you checked out Costco online?

They have a 2 person infrared, carbon, hemlock for $1300 which includes shipping.

I'm saving up for it plus getting 2 backrests for $50.

Can't wait!!! Yes, they're worth every penny!!

[URL=http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11662507&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|4639&N=4000204&Mo
=10&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4639&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11662507&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111 |4639&N=4000204&Mo=10&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4639&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US &Sp=C[/URL]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jalama
Member # 14600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jalama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that looks great! Good to know! Thank you 17 Hens !!!
Posts: 87 | From NorCal | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not checked out the specks of that product but be sure it's made out of wood that is safe and not treated with chemicals. The expensive ones use wood that don't emit chemicals.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused about the hemlock. I have heard/read that hemlock was NOT a good wood for a sauna because of its toxic off gassing.

BUT lately I have heard a few people say the opposite and that hemlock is good for saunas.

I heard that Basswood was the best one to get if possible.

Could someone clarify this at all for me because at the moment I am a bit confused on the wood choices since I have seen conflicting info on this.

Thanks!

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three person infrared sauna at Costco is on sale for 1499 for the next month. I just ordered it.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get a portable, tent-like, unit from Ours was around $230 and came with a lifetime warranty, which we have used. (edited due to wrong link. See next message for correct link)

My daughter spends several days a week in it. Loves it. You get the deep, penetrating heat without the exhaustive, blast furnace of a dry sauna.

I can say it was one of the best investments we made. Wish we could have a full size, but we don't have the room and the money.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't click on the link above, it's not the right address. Here is the correct address:

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/_Far_Infrared_Sauna_-_Portable_--CAT_FIRP.html

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow the one from Costco sounds good and so cheap!

Where are you guys planning to put this thing though? The only place I can think of is my bedroom... but wouldn't that look odd? I don't really like the garage so I don't want to hang out there.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basswood is the Only wood that is not toxic when heated...For thosethat have MCS this is a must...Sunlighten has these...
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saunas are good for detoxification. You won't see any miracles from it, but it is good for detoxification. I don't regret buying mine.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD and several other doctors I've seen recommend them. Supposedly the FIR sauna can remove toxins from the fat (where most are stored) through the skin without dumping too much into the blood therby reducing symptoms that are usually related to detox.

Heavenly heat and High tech health are both non-toxic and recommended by doctors. They are made of poplar, no particle board, toxic glue or toxic chemicals. High Tech health does include stereo equipment which is probably toxic when heated to high temps. I bought my high tech health through Craigs List.

http://www.hightechhealth.com/html/craftsmanship.htm

http://www.heavenlyheatsaunas.com

edited to add:
Keebler, an old member on this site mentioned that someone found particle board on a high tech health sauna. I called them and ask but they insist that they don't use particle board. We checked ours and couldn't see any that was obvious.

There are lots of posts in the arcives about sauna use. Some people get really great results.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor recently said promolife was ok as a company for FIR saunas.

FIR saunas are great for detoxing. Do you have any chemical sensitivity?

[ 09-20-2011, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered one of the tent type four years ago to make sure I liked it. I'm still using the SAME one today.

It's the best thing I ever bought. Back then I spend $189.00 including shipping on EBay.

It's wearing out in some areas (the velcro, etc) and very smelly so I'll probably need to replace it soon. But in cooler months I've used it regularly up to 4-5 times per week for 45 minutes.

To get rid of the perspiration smell I wipe it down with vinegar water every now and then and throw the removeable floor part in the wash.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sunlighten.com/nf-signature-1.html

I never regret I bought it .Is for the entire family!

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

mojo. I think we bought ours at the same time. The zipper pull broke this week on one of the arm holes. Looking in our file, we bought ours in 2006. Replaced it in 2007 due to a bad heating element (free). I thought it had a lifetime warranty, but it didn't.

I think I can sew a new zipper in it. We're gonna ride this thing until it dies.

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basswood is only found in the medical grade model only. Cheapest on sale right now is:

"The mPulse Aspire in the Basswood is discounted right now to $3,799. This includes FREE Shipping and we do not charge sales-tax on your order."

http://www.sunlighten.com/mpulse-aspire.html

That will price MOST people out of the market! The portable for $189 is looking really good just about now! LOL

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told and researched that Hemlock did not out-gas.

Also, I was told to be careful of saunas that you don't know how they are constructed. Many use particle boards behind the main walls. These obviously out-gas with the glues.

I have a 3 person from westcoast sauna and love it. It won't cure you but is a great detox. It helped me regulate my body temperature.

Dr. K suggests replacing with electrolyte water during use FYI

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Fuel,

How will we know which brand doesn't use particle boards? This business of buying one is much more complicated than I thought!!

As far as replacing electrolyte I suggest young coconut juice. I was detoxing like crazy and by 3pm this afternoon my body was craving the young coconut juice. So I had one... and it was so refreshing!!

Now back to researching Westcoast saunas!

--------------------
 -

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a portable dome infrared sauna for 280 bucks.

I love it. Very intense - go slow

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh that Basswood is expensive! No way I could do that either. I wonder if anyone else that is reputable sells them in basswood?

I looked into all of this forever ago but can't remember now.

This really is a lot more complicated than you would think! I heard poplar was a good non toxic wood as well but then saw something saying it wasn't good. I swear there is conflicting info on all of it.

I do know that I don't want to get the vinyl tent ones. I am so sensitive to things that I already know that would bother me. I know some people have had good results with those but I can't imagine that there aren't chemicals in that material that off gasses...especially when heated. That can't be good.

I guess there is no way to tell before buying a sauna if there is particle board anywhere. I guess that is a tricky situation then. Maybe it is best to stick to the more well known brands then?

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure there is anyway to figure out the particle board issue?

I actually called westcoast and talked with them a few times. I had a bunch of questions, one being the construction of their walls. They told me they are hardwood construction through and through. I also asked if there was particle board anywhere, they said none.

I then started looking for reviews on everyone that had bought one. The reviews looked good also.

I figured there should be at least one person in all these reviews that was chemical sensitive that used and had no issues.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a high-end one and it hasn't helped my health...
Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good thing about buying one from Costco, is that you can take it back anytime. Mine is coming tomorrow and if I have issues with it, I will just bring it back to Costco and look for something else.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to warn everyone, I had a VERY BAD experience with Sunlighten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defective product with HUGE hassle when I wanted the 30 day money back return.

If anyone wants details I will post them.

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo - thanks for the update on when we bought them! Five years, WOW.

Mine really needs to be wiped down but besides the velcro issues everything else is fine.

Hope you can fix that zipper.

When we move (who knows when I can sell my house) I'm thinking maybe I'll replace it then.

If I have to go to a wedding or other important event I can count on using my sauna and feeling well enough to go.

My Rife Machine and my sauna are the two best things I've ever purchased.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

quote:
Originally posted by LymeXtu:
Just want to warn everyone, I had a VERY BAD experience with Sunlighten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defective product with HUGE hassle when I wanted the 30 day money back return.

If anyone wants details I will post them.

Thanks for letting us know... I doubt that many of us here can afford their pricing anyway. Man, Lyme is like a rich man's disease! I can't afford to be sick!

--------------------
 -

julier212
Member # 26408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surprised when I searched infrared saunas in my area to find that there are some Wellness Centers that have Infrared Saunas on site. I think I might go try it for $8 first a few times before I invest in buying my own! How many times will I have to try it before I feel benefits you think?
Posts: 71 | From Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

quote:
Originally posted by scorpiogirl:
Thanks for letting us know... I doubt that many of us here can afford their pricing anyway. Man, Lyme is like a rich man's disease! I can't afford to be sick!

Aint that the truth!!! I don't know how anyone can afford to have lyme!

--------------------

Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Julier212...I think it is such a great idea for people to try out the sauna before buying it. I think everyone should do that before buying if they have the opportunity. I don't know how many times someone should try it first though.

I am not ready to buy one yet but my LLMD will have me do some sessions with their Infrared Sauna starting in January. If that goes well I may get one of my own if I can even afford it.

--------------------

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wellness center just opened in my area and I've been thinking of trying their sauna.

I am apologizing ahead of time for hijacking the post, but I have a question...

There are infrared heaters for your home that I have found for $180.00. If you put it in small room would it be like an improvised "sauna"? Would it help at all? I don't think it could hurt anything, could it?

I am thinking of getting one to help with heating costs this winter and was wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks and sorry again.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mommy - I would also like to hear opinions on the IR heater.

Actually, I did this exact thing for my very first time today! [Smile] I sat underneath a 4-foot IR heater, and I was sweating like Dr. Steere without his bodyguards.

I'm sure the sweating alone would be very beneficial, but also they say that IR is very therapeutic for other reasons as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Hmmm... what a great idea about trying it out first. I might look into that!

--------------------
 -

kelmo
Member # 8797

The portable, tentlike units are great. You don't have to build a room addition to use it.
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the one I bought

http://www.amazon.com/New-FIR-Infrared-Sauna-Dome/dp/B005JQ0DDY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1316673985&sr=8-11

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

mom2kids - I'm gonna bump up our idea here, to see if we can get opinions.

Last night I slep underneath an IR heater on "high", and I woke up a couple hours later covered in sweat. It was actually so hot that I had to turn it down to medium.

Is this much different than a sauna would be?

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

James - that is probably pretty close to what a sauna would offer. Mine has lamps all around so the infrared is more of a 360 degree thing. (You could always set your alarm to "flip" kind of like a frying pan?)JK

Concerns.. Sleep is very restorative, at least for some. I know your body does quite a few things during your 4 different sleep stages, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. I wonder if it is good to give your body extra work(regulating body temp and dehydrating) during this time?

Also, the sweat that comes out can and will have toxins. It is best to wipe this off with a hydrogen peroxide rag. Otherwise, it can just get absorbed into your clothing or bedding and back into your body.

Fuel

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, I think it is a great idea and alot cheaper. I just don't think I'd sleep under it! BTW, most of my "kids" (my kids' friends which I call my non-biologicals) call me mommy.

Fuel1212, I can picture James tied to a rottisserie (sp), slowly rotating under the IR heater.

P.S. do you use a special peroxide to wipe off after the sauna?

--------------------

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Fuel and mommy - thanks for the responses!

Fuel - LOL @ the frying pan thing! [lol]

Yes, maybe I won't use it (so much) when I'm sleeping. The cool thing about it is how TIRED it makes me feel! That thing knocks me out.�

Here's what mine looks like (though it's not the same one):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0011Z3SLQ/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1316698099&sr=8-2
It actually helps save on heating costs also, because then you don't have to keep the entire room warm. For example, last night I didn't even have to use a blankie! [Smile]

Mom - Yes, I feel like a lamb on the spit. Gyros, anyone? [Wink] BTW I think it's cool that the other kids call you mom! That shows you know how to have fun.

James1979
Unregistered

Question: isn't IR heat considered therapeutic? Don't they say that if you put a wound under IR heat that it'll heal faster?

Is this still true for the type of heater that I linked to above?

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

quote:
Originally posted by mom2kids:

Fuel1212, I can picture James tied to a rottisserie (sp), slowly rotating under the IR heater.

Oh my goodness! That's hilarious!! I so needed the laugh.

Ok so I found a Health Center that offers all kinds of detox and they have an Infrared Sauna. $15 for 20 mins sessions. I'm thinking of running over (well not run, more like hop) to try it.

1. Should I do the full 20 minutes? W
2. What does one wear when one go into these things?
3. And do you go in alone??
4. Do I need to shower right after (thus needing to bring towel and stuff?)

I don't want to go in w/ other folks and soak in their toxins!! The only time I went into a sauna was at one of those spa thing and it was like inside a cave and tons of people were in there w/ you. They lathered aloe vera on us after we did the mud bath.

[ 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: scorpiogirl ]

--------------------
 -

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Scorpiogirl, I am always happy to make somebody laugh! BTW, good questions, I would have never thought of any of them. Also, $15 for 20 sessions? That sounds reasonable to me, but what do I know?

P.S. James is now a.k.a. the "enemacrusader"!!! I almost spit out my drink when I read that on another post.

--------------------

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Scorpio.. I was told you should wipe off with a peroxide rag. This lifts the toxins up and also aids in oxygen development. If you use a regular towel you can push the sweat and toxins back in the skin. I also don't think you need to shower right away.

I have heard bad things about standard hydrogen peroxide. I would use food grade if you can find and afford.

I think James might have some more information on this?

I bought some food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide that should be in today. I use it in baths and a rag to wipe off from the sauna. I can use a small amount in the bath because the ratio is so much stronger being 35%.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Thanks Fuel,

Although I'm wondering if I'm allergic to hydrogen peroxide. My girlfriend told me she uses that to clean (instead of other chemicals)... so I thought to try it. But when the liquid touched my fingers it actually burned my hand... turning the skin white?? Have you ever seen that?? So I would be scared to try to wipe that all over my body!

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

Scorpio - I don't think it's possible to be allergic to h2o2, since it's just water and oxygen. Woe to the person who is allergic to water or oxygen! [Wink]

Yes, I think it's one of the best cleaning agents. It's completely safe, is a sterilizer which the microbes can't become resistant to, and it leaves absolutely no residue behind.

Yes, it turns the skin white if you leave it on your skin, but there is no permanent damage. You must have been dealing with a high concentration, or you left the 3% stuff on for too long.

Once I accidentally drank 2 full cups (8 oz each) of 3% h2o2. Don't ask me how I did that. But after a few days I was back to normal.

Another time, I accidentally swished my mouth with 35% h2o2 instead of 3%... That's very dangerous. Good thing it was only in my mouth for 1 second.

It's actually very healthy to put a 2 or 3% solution on your body, and the oxygen gets absorbed through your skin.

It's also one of the BEST cures for Candida infections on the skin!!!

My favorite place to buy the stuff: www.pureh2o2forhealth.com

To make a 3% solution out of the 35% solution, mix 1 part 35% h2o2 with 11 parts water.

H2o2 is also good for adding to pets' water, for adding to the dishwasher, for removing stains, etc etc etc

I always keep a spray bottle handy with 3% solution for disinfecting stuff. You could also spray your toothbrush with it every time you use your toothbrush, to kill the yeasts and other microbes.

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Ok so maybe I was too zealous in my cleaning and exposed my hands too long? I was totally freaked out!! But now that I think about it, it did go away a few hours later.

So the 35% is food grade and that is what you SOAK the towel with to wipe down your body?

Or can I run home and take a bath?? I love baths.

I just ordered the Derma Mag... I'm hoping it will help w/ my numb leg!

I guess I will order the hydrogen peroxide too... at least it's great for cleaning and maybe I can add it in my bath water?

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

Yes, the food-grade 35% is GREAT for adding to bath water! Very therapeutic.

NO don't soak the towel and wipe down with 35%!! You'd burn your whole body. It's very caustic.

You have to be very careful with 35%. It's like dealing with liquid fire. Whatever it touches - it burns. For most cases we would dilute it. But it's easy to add it to bath water, because then you only need a little amount. Just be careful when you're pouring it in.

I just heard recently of a story where someone couldn't feel their leg (I don't remember why), and they used European Green Clay as a poultice on their leg, and their feelings came back. I don't know how reliable that is, but it might be something to keep in mind (especially if the dermamag doesn't work).

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Ok why do you buy 35% to dilute to 3%? I'm confused. Why can't I just buy the 3% already mixed?? I guess I can also wear gloves when mixing.

Unless 35% and 35% food grade are too different animals? Ok I will now look into European Green Clay too. Anything to feel my leg again. Thanks for the suggestion. This thread is great!!

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

The problem with 3% from the store is that it's full of horrible chemical preservatives, including some heavy metals.

These are some of the chemicals that are commonly used to preserve the 3% h2o2 found in most stores: phenol, acetanilide, sodium stanate, tetrasodium phosphate, etc.

I don't even like to rinse my mouth with that stuff.

The 35% food-grade stuff doesn't have any chemicals in it... Just pure water and pure oxygen, baby! [Smile]

BTW if you ever get the green clay, remember that it's also good for detoxing. I drink 2 teaspoons mixed with water every morning. It's similar to bentonite, but it has more health benefits.

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

What? It's a liquid?? I don't do liquid!! I have really bad gag reflex... I will barf! I thought clay as in mud to put on my leg!

Ok got it about the HP! I will order 35% and mix then. I will just wear gloves so I don't burn my hands. But once mixed I can use the 3% for the bath and towel to wipe right?

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

Yeah, you can still use it as mud to put on your leg. There are directions on every bottle for how to use it externally. It's supposed to be very powerful. I watched an entire DVD about it.

You'd have to ask Fuel about the towel part. He's the sauna pro! [Smile]

For the bath, I'd prefer to use 35%. It's just a lot easier to pour 35% into the bath, because you can put 10 times less than the 3% solution.

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Ok so for the bath, you don't have to mix? How much to add? I put 4 cups of Epsom salt and 10 drops of essential oil.

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

No, you don't have to mix it for the bath. Just pour the 35% right in.

I like to put 1 or 2 cups per bath, but that might be a lot. I think 1 cup is more common.

My LLMD says only to put 1/3 of a cup, but I'm never good at following instructions! [Smile] But my point is that you could either put a little or a lot, and it's probably beneficial either way.

Something about the baths I learned recently: My LLMD says to add 1 cup of baking soda, on top of the Epsom salts and the h2o2. She says it helps the body detox better.

Since we're sitting in the tub anyway, I don't see why not. So now I add 1 cup of baking soda also.

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

I would use the good Food grade HP for the towel also. The cheap stuff has chemicals in it.

Your pores are wide open after sauna treatment. No need refilling the body with toxins you just hopefully extracted.

If you have any questions, let me know.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Quick question If you put baking soda into a tub full of hydrogen peroxide and water, won't it make a giant volcano ???? Or is that vinegar and baking soda?

--------------------

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
No, you don't have to mix it for the bath. Just pour the 35% right in.

I like to put 1 or 2 cups per bath, but that might be a lot. I think 1 cup is more common.

My LLMD says only to put 1/3 of a cup, but I'm never good at following instructions! [Smile] But my point is that you could either put a little or a lot, and it's probably beneficial either way.

Something about the baths I learned recently: My LLMD says to add 1 cup of baking soda, on top of the Epsom salts and the h2o2. She says it helps the body detox better.

Since we're sitting in the tub anyway, I don't see why not. So now I add 1 cup of baking soda also.

LOL... so that's how you marinate before going on the rotisserie?

--------------------
 -

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

quote:
Quick question If you put baking soda into a tub full of hydrogen peroxide and water, won't it make a giant volcano ???? Or is that vinegar and baking soda?

OMG you so owe me a new monitor!! I just spit out my water!! Hahaha!! This too funny! Still LMAO!

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

LOL! Both of you girls are so funny! [Smile]

mom2kids - It's perfectly safe to mix vinegar and baking soda into the same tub. I would use a few cups of each. Try to catch it on video, if you can. [Big Grin]

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

And now Scorpiogirl, you owe me a new netbook!! The marinade thing made me spit out my drink! I have been thinking of shrink wrapping my netbook in order to avoid being electrocuted...

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
And now Scorpiogirl, you owe me a new netbook!! The marinade thing made me spit out my drink! I have been thinking of shrink wrapping my netbook in order to avoid being electrocuted...

mom - that's the second time on this thread that you've mentioned spontaneous involuntary spittle. I would ask my doctor about that if I was you! [lol] [Razz]
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

James, maybe it is an underreported symptom of Lyme and Co....or with my luck a whole new tick bacerium. Should I call Yale and volunteer for research?

--------------------

Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my portable far infrared sauna. It really helps with pain.

I paid under $200 a few yr ago. I see they r a bit higher.

I had to out gas it at first since it was so toxic smelling but fine now. [Smile]

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bocalyme
Member # 26459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bocalyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started using a High Tech Health FIR this week. Since I have the "dreaded" genotype, according to Dr. S, which means that my body does not rid itself of biotoxins, such as those produced by mold and Lyme, it seemed like the thing to get, as detoxing has been a major issue for me. I've only used it four times this week, and my legs seem to ache somewhat less. At the least, it's very relaxing. We shall see . . .hopefully is was worth the rather big investment.
Posts: 43 | From Florida | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

For the last couple of days I've gotten anxiety-like symptoms while "roasting" underneath my make-shift IR heater. I don't think it's infection related, and I don't think I'm getting too hot.

I start to sweat just a little, and then my heart starts pounding like I'm running a race, and then I start to breathe heavy almost like hyper-ventilating. Also I start to feel anxiety, as if my stress hormones went up.

Does anybody know what might cause this? I have had this in the past when exposed to heat, but I'm just curious to learn what it might be.

Thanks

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could be having die-off or just need to build up with the infrared.

i don't know how often you use it, but docs reccomend starting low and slow..
like 10 min every other day and work up because the therapy goes deep.

mo

..those symptoms sound like babesia as well, but seems more related to infrared. do you have babesia?

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Mo - thanks a lot for the response.

No, I don't have babesia. And I'm pretty much symptom-free for 2 months now, though I'm still on abx.

I didn't know I had to get used to the heater! That might be the trick. What a strange thought! I would've never guessed.

One other thing I noticed today: It seems like the saunas that you guys are talking about are using FIR, whereas (I think) this heater I'm using is emitting just IR. Is there a big difference? I'm very curious about this.

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear James,

I'd look up the terms. Far Infra-Red might be much longer wavelengths of light, which might have a different therapeutic effect than just getting heated up.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement