LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Article by Wormser- Lyme Borreliosis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Article by Wormser- Lyme Borreliosis
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lancet. 2011 Sep 6. [Epub ahead of print]
Lyme borreliosis.
Stanek G, Wormser GP, Gray J, Strle F.
Source
Medical University of Vienna, Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Vienna, Austria.

Abstract
Lyme borreliosis (Lyme disease) is caused by spirochaetes of the Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato species complex, which are transmitted by ticks.

The most common clinical manifestation is erythema migrans, which eventually resolves, even without antibiotic treatment.

However, the infecting pathogen can spread to other tissues and organs, causing more severe manifestations that can involve a patient's skin, nervous system, joints, or heart. The incidence of this disease is increasing in many countries.

Laboratory evidence of infection, mainly serology, is essential for diagnosis, except in the case of typical erythema migrans.

Diagnosed cases are usually treated with antibiotics for 2-4 weeks and most patients make an uneventful recovery.

No convincing evidence exists to support the use of antibiotics for longer than 4 weeks, or for the persistence of spirochaetes in adequately treated patients. Prevention is mainly accomplished by protecting against tick bites. There is no vaccine available for human beings.

```````````````````````````````````````

NOW- see the data below....

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While eating my morning cereal I was reading this long blah blah blah article in full. Same old, same old. When I got to the reference section it was so pitiful I decided to take some notes.

It appears the authors are continuing to use their own stuff to try to make a point- the same old point. My bet is their efforts are designed to help fill up the next IDSA Lyme guidelines reference list and that is their goal.

Look how many articles they were involved with that are suppose to be "independent" references. Insanity run amuck!

Authors of Article- "Lyme Borreliosis"... Self-Supporting Article References

14 Wormser articles used to support self on new article

12 Stanek articles used to support self on new article

8 Gray articles sed to support self on new article

Total Reference Articles Written By These Authors to Support Themselves- 34

```````````````````````````````````````````

Number of other references by IDSA Lyme Guideline authors and supporters (they are not helpful folks to our position and the reason we have trouble getting treated).

11 Steere

10 Strle

5 Nadelman

4 Shapiro

4 Nowakowski

4 CDC/MMWR

3 Feder

3 Dattwyler

3 Halperin

3 Johnson

3 Aguero-Rosenfeld

3 Preac-Mursic

2 Fish

2 Schwartz

2 Klempner

2 Hu

2 Glickstein

2 Susan O'Connell

2 Anonymous

1 Mead

1 Aucott

1 Auwaerter

1 Bakken

1 Sood

1 Sigal

1 Cartter

1 Plotkin

1 Dennis

1 Persing

Total Reference Articles Written By IDSA Authors & Supporters to Support Themselves- 85

````````````````````````````````````````````

�et al� References

Dumler 5
Nadelman 5
Klempner 4
Dattwyler 3
Wormser 3
Halperin 3
Schwartz 2
Weinstein 2
McStupid 2
Shapiro 2
Krause 2
Bakken 2
Steere 2
Strle 2
Bockenstedt 2
Sood 2
Fish 1
Baker 1
Sigal 1
Auwaerter 1
Mead 1
Wong 1
Nowakowski 1
Zemel 1
Feder 1
Persing 1
Stanek 1

Total Reference Articles Written By �et al� Authors- 54

Total References Utilizing Original Article Authors and/or IDSA Lyme Guideline Authors & Supporters- 168

Journal�s Referenced With Author/IDSA Lyme Guideline Authors/Supporters on their Editorial Boards- 19

8 Clinical Infectious Disease Journal Editorial Board- Wormser, Baker, Bartlett (Hopkins), Stanley Plotkin (U. of PA- Lyme vaccine)
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/cid/editorial_board.html

3- Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal (CDC) Editors & Editorial Board- Ben Beard (CDC), Stephen Ostroff (Harrisburg, PA-fighting PA bill), David H. Persing (Seattle, Washington- former Hold the Mayo), Ira Schwartz (Valhalla, New York- millions in grant dollars)
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/pages/editors.htm
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/pages/editorial-board.htm

4- Journal Infectious Diseases
Published on behalf of The Infectious Diseases Society of America
IDSA Members: For your free access to this journal, log in via the IDSA members area. Editors/Board- Baker, Benach (Stoney Brook), Anne A. Gershon (New York), Stanley Plotkin (PA), Allen C. Steere, Cynthia Sears (Hopkins)
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/jid/editorial_board.html

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is one of the "et al" references really named "McStupid" (9th name down), or did someone put that there? We should give that guy a break, because he probably had a rough childhood. [Big Grin]

------

Seriously though, thanks for posting all this, Tincup. I love reading your posts.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

No the name is not really McStupid -- I knew who Tincup was referring to until I read your post and then I forgot the name. The name was probably changed to try to keep the trolls away.

The name is one wich lives in lyme infamy -- the guy who wrote the lyme bashing article on the website that bashes alternative medicine -- and now I cna't even think of the name of that website.

It is getting late -- I am sure someone else will come along and fill you in on the details.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McSweegan

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

What a turd.
Troup Brazelton
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troup Brazelton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having an article you wrote cited is probably more important than writing the article in the first place in the research world. Looks like they are padding their resume'.
Posts: 219 | From Aubur,Al. USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some things in life I will never understand. Letting so-called professionals write articles citing themselves to another one of their own articles is one. Why the heck is that allowed?
Posts: 217 | From Earth | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Yes, this is awful! But, wait till you see the new IDSA Guidelines! My guess is it may look like a garbage dump of self-promoting references!

BTW- The old 2006 IDSA Lyme Guidelines have expired! And so have the sister-guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology!

May I have this dance?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Sorry James. Habit to write it that way as years ago we weren't allowed to write any names of docs on the board, so many were altered to be more acceptable.

Like Seagull for Sigal, etc. Bad me.

[lol]

Onbam, thanks for the laugh! HA!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

James1979
Unregistered

Oh.... Well then, if he wasn't named "McStupid" from birth, then he deserves no mercy from us! [Big Grin]
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup is there any effort currently in process to curtail the efforts of Worm & Co so they don't get the jump on us?

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So when did they change the spelling of "spirochetes"?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lymetoo:
So when did they change the spelling of "spirochetes"? [/QUOTE

Well, they're getting more known now, so they get their little names tweaked. Spirochaetes, tickes, Western blottes, Llyme, co-infectiones, can't call them any ole Norma Jean Baker anymore, can we?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey Exceptional Joe....

You said.. "Tincup is there any effort currently in process to curtail the efforts of Worm & Co so they don't get the jump on us?"

Going down memory lane here (you'll have to put up with that as I get older and older), but many moons ago we were nothing but a grain of sand on the beach. The IDSA in comparison was the size of Texas.

There was never any way for "us" to prevent them from jumping on our head on a daily basis. Never.

In fact, our heads were held under water for months at a time, and when we could get a quick breath, they would be back jumping on our heads, holding us down again.

As the IDSA freight train plowed through, grabbing grant money, patents, vaccine $$, etc... we were literally making little cardboard posters announcing a community support group meeting where, if lucky, 4 people would show up to educate. One person at a time. It was slow.

Well baby, look at us now!

As one advocate met another, then another and they started joining forces, there was finally one day, one single day, where we were not the mud crud on the bottom of the IDSA shoes. We had a voice.

I compare our struggles to the "Little Engine That Could" and the big mountain to climb.

If we made it one mile up the mountain, we would get pushed down 2 miles. This went on for years. Advocates one point, IDSA five points.

Eventually, we made it 1/4 up the mountain, but always felt we were under the carpet and we had SO far to go. So we kept pushing.

Anyhow... we just kept trying and trying and chipping away at it. It has been hard. So very, very hard. Watching and feeling the suffering along the way was enough to make you want to end it all. Many did. Many just quit.

But many kept contributing, and more kept contributing and little by little we inched up the mountain.

About a year ago, in my mind, I could see we had, with our combined efforts, made it a wonderful 3/4 way up the mountain and were holding steady. That felt really good!!

As always, there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes. I wish everyone could see all the efforts being made, but if they did, then EVERYONE would see them and we would run into more interference.

To answer your question, there are many things being done. But we still need more help. Our advocates are getting older, sicker and all stay in a constant state of tired. We need more people to help us, the more the better!

The big projects this coming month, which takes months to prep for, are the annual scientific conferences. I just heard LDA conference was almost booked full! How wonderful is that?

Once they are done, more and more will be done.

As I sit here, I have no less than 6 projects going. (Just finished one yesterday! Yippee!)

For those wanting to know what they can do.... I first insist on them getting to a "better place" with their treatment.

Then the best thing they can do is to join forces with the large groups and in their own neck of the woods they need to educate, educate, educate.

Tell neighbors, tell friends, hand out brochures. A GOOD article in your local paper would help reach many. A letter to the editor.

But before anyone writes or shares, they MUST MUST MUST have the facts straight. Check the websites that you trust, stay away from conspiracy theories, keep your personal treatment protocols private and your LLMDs protected.

If the LDA has a call out for help, do what you can to pitch in. May is Lyme Awareness Month- be ready. This time of year hunters are heading out, educate them.

If anyone needs any help, editing, writing, getting literature to hand out... just let me know.

And sorry for the LONG-WINDED reply Joe, but I had to get this out of my system and also say thank you to everyone who pitches in.

THANK YOU!

We are going to make it!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Tutu...

The spelling of the words is often dictated by the country where the article was published. While reading articles from Europe, for example, it makes me cringe to see all the "misspelled words". There it is spelled correctly though.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe - to add to Tincup's discussion, we can also order up to 200 free brochures from the LDA to hand out - the Lyme R Primer with its explanation of the illnesses, and the ABCs of Lyme Disease, about the kids. www.lymediseaseorganization.org.

I also make and pass out either 1/8 size green awareness slips with urls on them, or 1/4 size green slips with a little more info on them, plus urls. We can make them relevant to our particular area.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks Tinny
I can understand your concerns about being too ill and/or not sufficiently educated to really speak to the topic. Last thing we need are people telling half the story or not being able to answer those tough questions which always pop up.

Staying away from the conspiracy theories is big as well. I personally witnessed a conversation where a small audience was listening closely to all the details, struggles, ect. When the island thing came up these same individuals that seemed very interested suddenly zoned out.

I saw the reaction of one person whos eyes literally glazed over. I remember thinking well, they lost that guy.

Bottom line as you know is not where it came from but rather the fact it's here and we must deal with it. I am comfortable speaking for everyone in offering a big Thank You to you and all others who occupy the front lines.

You don't need to worry about being long winded It's my pleasure to read/listen. Oh and by the way thanks for the complimentary play on my username [bow]

Hey Robin, both of your suggestions seem like excellent ideas. I could not get the link to work though. I will try again tomorrow. Would it be a problem to pm me with a sample of the 1/8 sheets you pass out?

Time to hit the sack.......

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement