LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Finding Lyme During a Spinal Tap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding Lyme During a Spinal Tap
Muffin123
Member # 31595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muffin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone explain why testing negative for Lyme in a Spinal Tap does not mean one doesn't have Lyme or or Co-infections?

--------------------
Muffin123

Posts: 24 | From Manhattan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re Lyme testing - there might not be any spirochetes in the sample. I've read that spinal taps are positive only 13% of the time, when someone actually has Lyme. Better to do a good bloodtest for all of it.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. B's guidelines, page 8:

"Spinal taps are not routinely recommended, as a negative tap does not rule out Lyme. Antibodies to Bb are
mostly found in Lyme meningitis, and are rarely seen in non-meningitic CNS infection, including advanced
encephalopathy. Even in meningitis, antibodies are detected in the CSF in less than 13% of patients with late
disease! Therefore, spinal taps are only performed on patients with pronounced neurological manifestations in
whom the diagnosis is uncertain, if they are seronegative, or are still significantly symptomatic after completion
of treatment. When done, the goal is to rule out other conditions, and to determine if Bb (and Bartonella)
antigens or nucleic acids are present. It is especially important to look for elevated protein and white cells,
which would dictate the need for more aggressive therapy, as well as the opening pressure, which can be
elevated and add to headaches, especially in children."

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds about right... my Lyme didn't show up in my spinal tap either. My test was perfectly normal!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Testing negative can also be a reason for insurance companies to refuse to pay for treatment. Good reason not to have a spinal tap.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter's was negative. Tested positive on WB for Lyme 2 months before.

Hospital said the fluid was perfect. Ha!!

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spirochetes rarely hang out in fluids. They love tissues, like your muscles, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sutherngrl:
Testing negative can also be a reason for insurance companies to refuse to pay for treatment. Good reason not to have a spinal tap.

This is not necessarily true! Even with a POSITIVE test insurance companies can (and do) deny coverage!! My denial was based on the fact that they determined long term antibiotics use as "unproven" method of treatment. So in this case a positive test means nothing.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever go fishing and not catch anything??? You know there's fish there! Same deal.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jer69
Member # 34046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jer69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still cannot understand how the NEW culture lyme test enthused about bby Dr. B can be that accurate either? Also like going fishing? j

--------------------
jeremy

Posts: 71 | From new york city | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere I read on the spinal tap the best odds are culturing the cyst form as that is what if most prevalent in the spinal fluid, not the spirochetes.

Unfortunately I don't think they culture the solution long enough to find spirochetes emerging from cysts.

I did read from Dr. Sapi's work (one of her research students) it can take over 3 weeks for a cyst to culture.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scorpiogirl:
quote:
Originally posted by sutherngrl:

This is not necessarily true! Even with a POSITIVE test insurance companies can (and do) deny coverage!! My denial was based on the fact that they determined long term antibiotics use as "unproven" method of treatment. So in this case a positive test means nothing.
-
I believe her point was that if you come back negative on the tap, then your insurance has every reason NOT to pay for treatment.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course an insurance company can look for reasons not to pay for treatment; but if you get a negative test result, they don't have to look very far. And since spinal taps usually come back negative, its best to stay away from them.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement