LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » who feels lyme was responsible for needing a surgery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who feels lyme was responsible for needing a surgery?
robin_wachs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin_wachs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who has had surgeries, especially on abdominal organs that they feel were caused or necessary by the presence of Lyme? Do you think it is from the bugs living in that organ or general inflammation or autoimmune being triggered?
Posts: 103 | From California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallbladder removed, but I think the main cause was sludge. My LLMD had me on high-dose ceftin at the time.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't know. I have had 13 surgeries, 11 between 2001 and 2006 so it is hard to say. I'm basically new to all this, so what surgeries would Lyme cause you to have?

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my gallbladder removed. The post-op biopsy showed a thickening of the gallbladder wall, which the surgeon said was indicative of inflammation.

I didn't use IV rocephin, and I never had any gallbladder problems until I got Lyme.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitts
Member # 20542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gallbladder was removed. I am thinking that Lyme was responsible. It was removed while we were trying to figure out what was wrong with me when it really was Lyme.

--------------------
Kitty
Lyme, Babesia, XMRV virus Diagnosed 2008
Mepron, Zithro, Cepaflexin, Fluconozol, Vitamin, Herb therapy

Posts: 65 | From Kansas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I blew a cervical disc (no injury was sustained). It did not heal - had to have anterior cervical disc fusion. I think it was all due to Lyme and company - inflammation and weakening that area.

I still have neck pain; the surgery provided no pain relief. Just my experience. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in with the gallbladder, too.

Besides that, had exploratory surgery for chronic pelvic pain. They found no endometriosis, and I was sure it would be growing on my colon and my bladder. Since no endo, doc said maybe interstitial cystitis, but I'm just up in the air with the whole pelvic region. Kinda' gave up on getting answers about it.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallbladder. No stones but hida scan said only working at 5%. Hadn't been diagnosed and thought this would help with pain.

After removal surgeon said it was inflamed and diseased.

If I had known I had Lyme, Babs, Bart, I would have waited to have it removed to see if treatment improved things.

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two abdominal laparoscopies to search for the cause of pain--only varicose veins on uterus found first time and scar tissue from first lap the second. Hernia repair that I blame on lyme causing extreme IBS-C that led to hernia. I have never recovered from that surgery and it led me to a diagnosis.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably hysterectomy and gallbladder for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit in June of 2009. I didn't have any Lyme issues pop up...except I got a uti, then needed two surgeries for abdominal scar tissue ( which I have had at least eight of those in my life time). The last surgery I could not recover from. I was still horribly tired with continuing pain-welcome Lyme.
My best guess as a medical professional (LOL) is my immune system was shot from a ten year stress filled job and other infections and Lyme slipped in.
I really believe in my heart that if I had not allowed myself to stay in such a stressful workplace I might have slipped by Lyme. Just my humble opinion.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had my gallbladder because of sludge. A couple months later when I was still having recurring issues, I had a ERCP with monometry. I am pretty sure I came close to death with it because the surgeon's face was apparently white after he came out and said I was the last patient he would do it on. The procedure didn't work because apparently my pancreas is hooked shaped, and there was too much inflammation. Those are just my abdominal ones. I have had 5 surgeries since January alone. Stupid Lyme...
Yes, I did do IV Rocephin.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thyroid removed 06. Goiter over 9cm. on each side. Never felt like myself after.
07 first lyme test neg...
09 Igenex pos...

I think the bugs were attacking it and it kept growing to compensate...Wish I knew now what I didn't know then...I would have made them leave some, instead they took it all to avoid cancer.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So to summarize, sooner or later lymies will loose their gallbladder due to inflammation? I used to think iv rocephin was the cause. But now i think it just hastens the damage to the gallbladder as the drug itself also has side effect to it.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gallbladder, long before any lyme tx. I didn't have any of the "usual" signs so they put off my surgery and my gb almost exploded due to being so full of stones. If it would have I would not be here now. No explanation of why or how, so I now believe it was lyme, not knowing anything about it at that time.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallbladder. Set off by excrutiating pain, trips to the ER, unable to eat, lost 20 lbs in one month. Ejection fraction was not functioning properly.

The gallbladder dysfunction and surgery was the crisis that initiated my Lyme disease symptoms. So it had been pretty much latent in my body until that time.

It then took five years of debilitating illness, and going doctor to doctor, to finally get the Lyme and Co. diagnosis.

Three years after the gallbladder surgery, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and had surgery and treatment. I feel that the havoc on my body, immune system, chronic inflammation, all contributed to getting cancer. I can't say that it "caused" the cancer, but I do believe it was a contributing factor.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robin_wachs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robin_wachs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness, the gallbladder and pelvic issues seem to be predominant with or without Rocephin. since I started this thread I should say that I know that Lyme et al was responsible for my gallbladder being removed 1998, Endometriosis 1999, Total Hysterectomy 2002 and severe abdominal adhesions/appendix 2010.

Thank you all, I don't feel so alone now.
Robin

Posts: 103 | From California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never took Rocephin, but any of the oral cephalosporins can do the same thing. Some say that the Lyme itself destroys the GB.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallbladder removed. Didn't know I had Lyme at the time. Was full of stones, and the pathology report said my gallbladder was very inflammed. Good riddance. Getting rid of the gallbladder ended 15 years of near-constant nausea, and improved my colonic motility. I believe Lyme to be responsible for my losing my gallbladder. I know Lyme is responsible for all the gut troubles I have (inflammation, dysmotility).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement