LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » picc line question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: picc line question
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my picc line inserted last Tuesday. It has been somewhat sore but nothing too bad. I just noticed today that is all black and blue around the injection site.. Is this normal??

My at home nurse is coming tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this.. The last thing I want to happen is to have the line pulled!

Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is normal to have some bruising around the site right after the insertion.

I would just pay attention to any fevers or swelling near the site or on your arm.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep! I had hematomas the size of a dollar bill!! Took 3 weeks for them to resolve. If you search in the older post you can read up on all the complications I had! Not fun.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucky8711
Member # 26221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucky8711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scorpiogirl...Did the benefit outweigh the complications for you? I am tenatively supposed to be going on this ater 2 mnths of oral combo ABX.
Posts: 80 | From RI | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky,

The jury is still out on that one. And here is why... I have the dreaded genotype so we still don't know much of my problem is due to my inability to detox. Furthermore we have not attempt to treat Bart yet...I know my peripheral neuropathy is from Bart. That is why I want to treat Bart now and see if my numbness improves. IF after treating that and still no improvement then I would say IV antibiotics is a bust for me.

It has been very hard from the gate. I had major problems w/ my Hickman line (eventually infected and had to get a Picc line). That too had complications. Now if I get results and go into remission then I would say it was worth it in the end. But at this point, I can't say that b/c I'm still suffering and I'm still on the fence about whether to stop and go w/ PE-1 instead. IV is very hard on your body/organs. So it's not a walk in a park by any means. And it's so time consuming too! I'm attached to my pole 4-6 hours a day prior to stopping last Thursday! If I drip them fast I get super nauseous!

I just wish I know which direction to go... I was supposed to talk to my LLMD but the office just emailed to say she is gone for the day. So I guess I will have to wait to talk to her tomorrow. Now that's not to say it won't yield better results for you.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV is not for everyone, for sure. If you can get better via orals that is by far a simpler way to go (no potential infections, no weekly dressing changes, no weekly monitoring of your liver etc)

BUT.. for me, I was on orals for 8 months or so and also did Bicillin and nothing really helped. I had some progress but it was minimal and I was getting MORE symptoms as the months went on.. So frustrating.

IV was/is the only thing that has given me hope and a big step forward. My energy level has shot up big time and I feel less pain overall. Some days I am feeling so good that I forget I even have lyme and have to worry about my picc line. I am still treating with IV due to some neurological symptoms but it has helped me so much, the pros definitely outweigh the cons for me.

So it is really a case by case. Sometimes it could be the actual IV drug too. I'm on Rocephin and my LLMD said that not everyone has success with Rocephin so I consider myself very lucky.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Definitely case by case that is why it's so hard to know what to do! For Penquingirl, IV Rocephin is a good drug for me it's an EVIL drug! Only 9 days on it and I regressed BIG TIME!! All I know is I NEVER had issue w/ my left leg and after 9 days of Rocephin my left foot is tingling and I feel current rushing up and down my legs. It's such a disturbing feeling! [Frown]

--------------------
 -

hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on IV levaquin.. only day 4.. (I'm on 5 days then off 2 days and on tindamax) and I can already see a difference but I don't want to jinks it!
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement