LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » please cholestyramine question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please cholestyramine question
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 9 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just for answers///anybody//

Post above about this drug can anybody explain it, use, good or not , how to use, what to feel.
just a few post back there's a chat on it.

I'm asking for info for the brain fog type
ME [Eek!]

How does all this stuff function together???

Kinda makes you want to drink really diluted Clorox and clean all this crap out [tsk] [tsk]

OK there, just has to be answers. Maybe we should all contact Oprah and Dr.Oz AND PLEAD FOR A REAl CHECK INTO ALL THIS. [bonk] [bow]

Maybe somebody would listen...

Ya think?? Nonna

[ 09-29-2011, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: nonna05 ]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for input.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering what the question is? [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonna,

cholestyramine is ok, I took the compounded one without fillers. You need to start on 1/2 tablet and slowly take more.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tablet??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karenl:
Nonna,

cholestyramine is ok, I took the compounded one without fillers. You need to start on 1/2 tablet and slowly take more.

They come in TABLET?????????????

NOW you tell me!! WHERE??? I have been gagging on this crap 2x a day for a month!! Please share where you can buy tablets!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL scorpiogirl...

I know it isn't funny, it is just the way you said it...

NOW you tell me!! WHERE??? I have been gagging on this crap 2x a day for a month!! Please share where you can buy tablets!

You go girl....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetutu...the question was what is cholestyramine, how does it work in the scope of things, how to find time.......

There was a post about it a little before mine and I really wondered what this stuff does.

[confused] [hi] [dizzy] [spinning smile]
Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a binder so you body doesn't absorb it. It binds everything and excrete it out. That is why you must take it 2 hours away from everything else or it will grab your meds and your nutrients as well.

That is why I have only found early morning ad last thing at night to take this. Too much going on during the day to time this thing.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

There is a tablet (big caplets) called WELCHOL .. but it made me sick too. At least you don't have to drink that junk, as scorpio says!

nonna.. just got a little confused by what you were asking. Thanks.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea behind it is that lyme created biotoxins which get excreted into your liver, and then into your colon. Supposedly, If you do not get all the toxins out, then the colon reabsorbs the toxins back into your body. Over tme you accumulate more and more toxins, which in itself makes you feel horrible

Cholestyramine (and other "binders") absorbs all the toxins so they do not get absorbed back into your body.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read Dr. N's book, and he said Cholestyramine is strong enough that biotoxins latch onto that instead of the bile it latched onto in the liver, and is carried out of the body instead of being recirculated with the bile.

It's one of the few things that is strong enough to pull the biotoxins away from bile.

My LLMD has refused to let me try it, and I can't understand why. I know it can make me feel worse, but can't I at least try it and see? I am seeing a new LLMD next week and will ask her for it.

Is it really that nasty? Should I ask for Welchol instead?

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Hambone:

Is it really that nasty? Should I ask for Welchol instead?

-
Yes, and yes! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

susieq2
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susieq2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The taste is vile and it sticks in your throat and makes you feel as if you're choking. I mix it with 1 Tbsp of fiber (psyllium and prune powder mix) and water and lemon juice. Then I'm able to get it down. The fiber somehow keeps it from clinging to the tissue in your mouth and throat. The trick is to mix the cholestyramine and fiber together first, then add the liquids.
Posts: 59 | From Seattle WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

It is NASTY... and stinky to me. I mixed it w/ water and yes it sticks to your throat so the last few gulps always make me gag!

Susie do you find that the more you mix the thicker the mixture becomes? Someone said to add some OJ to the water. I have to give that a try. B/c it's just not going down well for me.

--------------------
 -

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to try Cholestepure (capsules) - it is easy to take and works very well to capture neurotoxins (toxic metals, chemicals, etc. etc. etc.) and prevent reabsorption/recirculation. Doing without binders is not a good idea, because you are bound to battle the same toxins over and over again. Effective binders are probably the most important part of detoxing. No matter which killing method you use, many neurotoxins are being mobilized and need to be addressed constantly to avoid feeling miserable.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Cholestepure (Caps) like Gigi mentioned. My doc says less side effects and another doc says the same.

Gigi,how ru taking it? 2 hr away from everything?Food? Supps?Empty stomach? So hard to get it all in [Smile] Thanks Gigi

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a prescription for this from LLMD. Start at half work up.. But I'm not sure I'm taking the same thing cause this is a light powder you mix with a little water and swig... barely has an Orange taste. [Roll Eyes]

I find it hard to fit in ...My days and nights are turned around or sideways ... Just depends on what these "Buggy-bug's" want to do.

From some of the above remarks I might be having such a hard time this last few weeks if I'm messing up my "open mouth and swallow " routine [dizzy] [shake]

Igor's mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igor's mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd doesn't know much about binders and won't prescribe cholestyramine I have charcoal, apple pectin and acacia powder that I bought from iherb and some chlorella, if I take one tablet of charcoal in the middle of the afternoon with some acacia fiber will that be sufficient to grab the toxins? Its two hours away from supps and mepron. Are neurotoxins harder to bind? Do they work better with certain binders than othes? I feel like I know nothing about detoxing. I do use the fir sauna but have stopped for awhile becuase it seems to make my yeast worse. Anyone else have that problem?

--------------------
Igenenex + IGM 18, 23-25, 31, 41, 66, FL 1953, bart, babs, erlich, c diff. Dox 10/10,11/10-5/11 Mino, Buluoke,plaq (2/10) zith (3/11-5/11), Paragone, Flagyl, Ivermectin, Paromomycin, Ceftin, Nystatin(4/11) mepron (4/11-)BW A-L , A-Bart, A-Bab.

Posts: 254 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement