LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ear pain and ear pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear pain and ear pressure
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who have this as symptoms, what can i do to relieve the pain? It seems to be gradually getting worse. Im taking zithromax, ceftin, augmentin xr and rifampin. Does this meds make my ear worse? Or its lyme itself. Whatever i do when i try to pop the pressure i cant pop them and its causing pain 24/7. Will it ever go away?

Tried also claritin with no effect.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLaw
Member # 31159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JLaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pls see my recent post under New Medical Diagnosis, what you are experiencing is one of the symptoms. Read my post and it will explain everything. It may or may not apply but its worth checking out.

--------------------
Bite?? Diagnosed 7/2009 LabCorp IgM 41,39, 23, IgG neg, Doxy 3 wks

07/2010 LabCorp test again IgG neg, IgM 41,23. Doxy 2 wks

04/2011 MD Lab IgG neg, IgM 41,23 started Suprax, Azithro

07/2011 Bioref Lab, IgG 28&39, IgM 23 added Plaquinal

Posts: 58 | From New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to use decongestants. My ears are my worst problem.. Also I use drops of grapefruit seed extract in a saline spray bottle. There are days I couldn't make it without the decongestant. can't handle the decongestant like in sudafed starts with a P.. I use the nasal spray starts with an O . Usually the wal-mart but the same as Afrin..

I couldn't take antihistamines made my ears worse.

Do your ears ring? mine 24/7 and a lot of times I can feel my pulse in them especially at night.

Saw an ENT he said Sinus Infection..

Let me know if you find anything that helps.

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes my ears ring too but not loud enough to be noticed during the day, i just hear it before sleeping at night. Its like metal to metal squeeling in high pitch.

Might try decongestants, i used to try fluticasone to no effect either, it contains steroids so i stopped it also.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it's not an infection?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had major ear pressure and ringing for a long time on Ceftin and Zith.

LLMD told me some people are predisposed to ear damage with certain abx. They can do a blood test to confirm.

Mine eventually went away. I think it was toxin load and maybe infection?

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Tutu: i had my ears checked and said they were fine

Fuel: how long were you on zith and ceftin till it started to hurt? And how long til it goes away?

--------------------
 -

skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zithromax can cause those ear issues, are you still on the Zith? Some people have switched over to Biaxin because of this problem.
Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no doc, but it sounds like you are on a lot of meds. Certain meds can cause this (although I had some buzzing even before I got diagnosed).

It's important to drink A LOT of water (2 cups) when you take these meds. The 2 cups of water makes buzzing minimal for me.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommends using olive oil and putting a couple of drops in your ear, then lying down for about 15 minutes on your other side, so it can be absorbed.

I tried this with my son, who has a "buzzing" sound in his ears. He has not complained about the sound lately at all.

He's ten, so I try not to just bring up symptoms and ask about them. We try to keep the focus on regular life, unless there is an obvious symptom that we need to address.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know zith can affect the inner ear.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on zith and I wonder if that is the result of the drug. My ears have treemendous pressure. However its not just my ears it is also my neck being very stiff and my glands get to feeling sore and swollen.

--------------------
A little lymie...

Posts: 104 | From Greener Pastures in PA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KELLYjk4

I've been doing olive oil for years, Every time I go on ABX ,within a day or two I get an ear ache (Usually rt side) very severe.
Olive oil works every time, it only takes a day or 2- pain free.
My guess is a fungal infection resulting from the abx.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my very first symptom that made me think something was very wrong with me. I had horrible ear pressure and stabbing pain for a long time before being diagnosed. Constantly yawning to try to pop it, but it just wouldn't pop. Or would pop, but then immediately fill up with pressure again. ENTs said ears look perfect.

Once in treatment, it has taken 14 months for this symptom to subside...occassionally comes back and bothers me a bit, but not nearly as bad. For the most part, I haven't been thinking about it lately which tells me it's better. This has been one of most bothersome symptoms. I always have ringing, but only notice it in a quiet room. I was on 10 months of IV, now on orals. I could not tolerate zithromax b/c of my ears.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didnt read all

have had sx for a few yrs-i'm long term lymie

first group of docs inc ent said not ear problem (after 3 mos tx for infect from primary)

i assumed was trigeminal neuralgia and aasked for neurontin and was able to control pain with that

2 wks ago got it again when very over-tired

new primary said he saw fluid behind ear drum and i might need tubes (i'm 62) but to try 875 augmentin 2x a day and drops 3x a day...i am pretty sure they are steroid drop

in two days pain stopped...i couldnt believe it...i am still taking aug and drops and will see what happens

i usually only get this a few times a yr...i cant imagine having it all the time...pain is too much

remember most sinus infects are fungal and you need something like diflucan

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kelly and Al. The olive oil is worth a shot!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement