LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Seizures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seizures
Hopeful in Holland
Member # 34304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful in Holland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Minocin for 8 weeks now. Since starting the meds I have been getting sicker.(exhausted, painful/stiff muscles/dizzy/nauseated) I had some sort of seizure Saturday night that caused me to lose control of my leg and arm.I regained control after two hours of rest but since then half my face is numb and I have extreme pain in my head, neck and between my shoulder blades. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal for Lyme?
Posts: 50 | From Holland, MI. 49424 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeful in Holland
Member # 34304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful in Holland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[confused]
Posts: 50 | From Holland, MI. 49424 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopeful,
I wonder if this might have been a TIA?

Transient ischemic attack (TIA)

Transient ischemic attacks usually last a few minutes.
Most signs and symptoms disappear within an hour.

The signs and symptoms of TIA resemble those found early in a stroke and may include:

Sudden weakness, numbness or paralysis in your face, arm or leg, typically on one side of your body

Slurred or garbled speech or difficulty understanding others

Sudden blindness in one or both eyes or double vision
Dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

You may have more than one TIA, and the recurrent signs and symptoms may be similar or different depending on which area of the brain is involved.
If signs and symptoms last longer than 24 hours or cause lasting brain damage, it's considered a stroke.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/transient-ischemic-attack/DS00220/DSECTION=symptoms

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeful in Holland
Member # 34304

Thank you for this information.I guess I should have listen to my mom and gone to the doctor/med-center. I just figured it was Lyme, since I had been so sick, and having all kinds of weird stuff happening, but since you are the only one that responded, and not with Lyme issue. Maybe this is not a Lyme symptom.
Thank you for your help.

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very hard to tell what is lyme and what is not because lyme can cause such a variety of symptoms, and herxes can too.

I had two brief seizures, neither with lasting effects, but one was before I got any lyme treatment, and one was after treatment started. And extended treatment reduced that number to zero.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TIA's are due to tiny blood clots that get caught in a small blood vessel in the brain.
This stops the blood circulation and that area of brain cells does not get oxygen and nutrients, which causes symptoms.

Blood clots tend to form when a person has hypercoagulation, or too much fibrin in the blood.

90% of Lyme patients have hypercoagulation, as per Dr. C. in Missouri.
Comparatively, only five percent of the general healthy population have hypercoagulation.

http://www.drcharlescrist.com/hypercoagulation.htm

I think that TIA's are due to Lyme, since the infection causes too much fibrin and hypercoagulation.
Symptoms of hypercoagulation include pain, fatigue, headaches, digestive problems.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeful in Holland
Member # 34304

I have read all this information and called both my PCP and neurologist. I do not yet have an LLMD.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement