LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Green Tea Herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Green Tea Herx?
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying green tea for its anti-inflammatory properties, and also to give me a little shot of my beloved caffeine (I quit coffee, decaf, and chocolate).

But, does green tea cause unreality feelings for anyone else? I enter tunnel vision late in the day after drinking it. It feels similar to herx feelings I have had in the past.

I am drinking a really powerful chinese gunpowder green. Maybe a health food store brand is softer?? Nicer? Less tunnel-vision-y?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't green tea contain caffeine? (unless you buy decaffeinated)

I've heard it can make you herx. Tunnel vision would definitely scare me!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't do anything with caffeine or I feel herx symptoms and have increased heart and mental issues. I feel very wierd on it. Even with decaf or low caffeine things.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Lymetoo, but I was under the impression that it has less than coffee, so I was giving it a try. I really miss that cozy cuppa somethin' in the morning, and caffeine helps me in so many mood ways. Jamers, we may have the same issue. Sigh.
Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I think the Gunpowder selection may be too strong. You might consider a different leaf, or a different blend. Or expand it with a lot more water.

Is your blood sugar too low? I get a sense that Green Tea on an empty stomach may cause my blood sugar to drop and I have to be sure to have food somewhere near the time I drink the tea.

It's first important to be sure the Green Tea is from a good source and not processed with chemicals.

Then, as for the caffeine in Green Tea, yes, there is some. Not as much as in Black Tea or Coffee and, even a trace can cause problems for some people.

Lyme patients are supposed to avoid caffeine due to the stimulating effects. Green Tea can be different, though as it also contains something that is CALMING and balances that out.

Of course, each person may react differently and if it does not work well, just avoid it. Try WHITE TEA or a ROOIBOS tea. All of these have some wonderful antioxidant properties.

Although GREEN TEA can have calming effects, I do best by getting in my 3 cups a day before 5 p.m.

Green Tea helps antibiotics work better. It also helps the body in many other ways.

-----------------

http://web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

L-Theanine: How a Unique Anxiety Reducer and Mood Enhancer Increases Alpha Waves and Alertness

- by Carolyn Perrini, CLS, CNC

Excerpts:

Hundreds of studies exist showing the many health benefits of green tea. But what makes it the most consumed beverage in the world after water is its pleasant taste and relaxation effect. '

Both of these qualities�and more�can be traced to a unique, neurologically-active amino acid in tea called L-theanine (gamma-ethylamino-L-glutamic acid). . . .

. . . The calming effect of green tea may seem contradictory to the stimulatory property of tea's caffeine content but it can be explained by the action of L-theanine. . . .

=============================

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/080331/green-tea-boosts-antibiotics-for-superbugs.htm

Green Tea Boosts Antibiotics for Superbugs -
Egyptian study finds drink increased effectiveness threefold

3/31/08

Green tea can help antibiotics be three times more effective in fighting drug-resistant bacteria, even superbugs, according to a study by researchers at Alexandria University in Egypt. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As for the tunnel vision, I'm not sure how that could be connected to the tea but may just co-inside with the timing - or the warmth of the tea does something to the blood vessels, etc.

You might want to have a sample of that tea examined for contaminants if it does seem to do this. It is not at all a typical experience for drinkers of green tea.

Be sure to call your eye doctor first thing on Monday and get in to have them look at your eyes.

Tunnel vision can be a serious indication so early assessment is really important. Just because it may come and go does not mean it is not something that needs an immediate visit to your eye doctor.

Please make that call and be sure to them them what is going on so they can get you in right away.

Good luck.

===============================

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/peripheral-vision.htm

Peripheral Vision Loss (Tunnel Vision)

- by Marilyn Haddrill, with Gary Heiting, OD

Peripheral vision problems mean that you don't have a normal, wide-angle field of vision, even though your central vision may be fine.

Moderate and severe cases of peripheral vision loss create the sensation of seeing through a narrow tube, a condition commonly referred to as "tunnel vision."

Symptoms of peripheral vision loss also can include difficulty seeing in dim light and decreased ability to navigate while you are walking.

What Causes Peripheral Vision Loss?

A common cause of loss of peripheral vision (also called a peripheral field defect) is optic nerve damage from glaucoma.

Eye "strokes" (occlusions) that block normal blood flow to the eye's internal structures, including the optic nerve, also can lead to loss of peripheral vision.

A stroke or injury also may damage portions of the brain where images are processed, leading to blind spots in the visual field.

Basic causes of peripheral vision loss include:

* Glaucoma
* Eye strokes or occlusions

* Detached retina
* Brain damage from stroke, disease or injury

* Neurological damage such as from optic neuritis

* Compressed optic nerve head (papilledema)
* Concussions (head injuries)*

If you suspect you have lost peripheral vision, see your eye doctor for a comprehensive eye exam that includes visual field testing.

If you have a sudden decrease in peripheral vision, see your eye doctor immediately. Sudden loss of peripheral vision may indicate a detached retina, which is a medical emergency that must be treated as soon as possible to avoid permanent vision loss.

. . . Cont'd at link above.

========================

Also be sure to talk to your LLMD about this as lyme can cause optic neuritis - and other nerve damage to the eyes. But, it'd be best to first get your eye exam so you have more information.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Keebler, thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I am, in fact, seeing a wonderful eye doctor next week. I love L-Theanine. I even recommended it to my DH who uses it when under stress at work. Great stuff.

I will try a different tea from the health food store, and see what happens. The good just seems to outweigh the bad, so I want to see if I can make it work. Thanks all!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Glad to hear that you have an eye appointment set up. Hope you have an easy explanation for this.

=============

L-Theonine is in green tea and can also come as a supplement. But, L-Threonine is also a supplement popular these days. I've had trouble remember which is which.
-------------

http://svakanda.hubpages.com/hub/What-is-the-Difference-between-L-Threonine-and-L-Theanine

What is the Difference between L-Threonine and L-Theanine?
-

coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year ago I started drinking Gunpowder green tea and I had flare up of my neuro symptoms but for some strange reason I felt it gave me energy regardless of symptom worsening. Once symptoms calmed I felt much better compared to flare ups without green tea.

It got better over time and now I love my green tea.

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cardiologist told me I should be drinking tons of decaf organic green tea everyday.

He said that it is a powerful immune booster and that they use it as an anti parasitic in china.

He is very well now and very good.

I trust him. So it makes sense that you could herx on it.

I have not researched it myself. Just thought I would share.

Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Ah. Coffee171, that might work. I do get such excellent energy, it's hard to walk away from tea without trying to make it work.
Thanks spindleshanks. Glad to hear it is an immune booster. That's interesting.

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot drink green tea at all!! When my sister came back from her trip to Asia she bought back really high quality organic green tea so I gave it a try. Then I was at the stores and I started sweating profusely! My heart was pounding out of my chest and the room started to spin. I had to sit down, I was soo scared!! Took a good 30 minutes for me to calm down enough to make it home. I had no idea a cup of tea could do that!

Then weeks later my friend was over so we decided to test it again this time at home and the SAME thing happened except my throat was so dry! That totally freaked me out... so now I have a cabinet full of green tea from China, Taiwan and Singapore that I cannot drink!

When I did the coffee enema, after about a month I developed all the same symptoms as when I drank green tea... so I am wondering if I'm allergy to the caffeine? I don't really know but I'm not about to try it again.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

wowww scorpiongirl. That sounds scary. I am glad you made the connection with what did it to you so you can avoid it.
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can decaf green tea yourself:

Pour water heated to a boil over the tea bag, cover for approximately 45 seconds. Then pour the hot water off. The green tea will have lost 80% of its caffeine. Then pour the hot water over your tea as usual. (Per Dr. Weil)

I do this and it works. I can't take a lot of caffeine.

I LOVE green tea. I feel so much better when I drink it. I combine it with licorice root to sweeten.

**Don't use licorice root if you have high blood pressure, because too much licorice root can raise it. **

As for the herxing, green tea is a natural antibiotic and it also helps other antibiotics to work better by causing microbes to lose their resistance to antibiotics.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rivendell,

Just to be sure I understand you...

I should pour boiling water on my tea for 45 seconds before drinking?

If I did that wouldn't I not only lose the caffeine, but then all the other benefits?

My tea are loose leaves though... so I'll have to get something to put them in first. But might be worth a try. Either that or I'll just give them away. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Thanks Rivendell. I'll try it.
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scorpiogirl,

Yes, pour hot water over the tea leaves or bag, let it sit covered for 45 seconds, then pour off water. You lose 80% of caffeine that way.

Then pour hot water over the tea and let it steep as usual. (Try either a tea ball or strain the tea after steeping if using loose tea leaves.)

According to Dr. Weil, this will decaffeinate the tea, with very little benefits from the tea being lost. That is what he does with his green tea. Me too.

PS It is possible, with my brain fog, that it may not be exactly 45 seconds, maybe 40 or 50, but that is how I remember him stating it on his website.

***Some day I won't have to add a "brain fog" disclaimer.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement