LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bio-Identical Hormones???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bio-Identical Hormones???
APMOM
Member # 28786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for APMOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some bloodwork done recently and just received the results.

Estrone Normal
Testosterone Normal

Estradiol Low
Progesterone Low

My LLMD wants me to start Bio-Identical Progesterone and Estrogen. He says they will also help with sleep, fatigue, cognitive function, memory and depression.

Any thoughts on Bio-Identical Hormones, I have lots of research to do yet, but any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 76 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had saliva testing done,and all of my levels were low. I have used bio-identical hormones (soy based) for some time, and I believe they have helped.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elainer97
Member # 33917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elainer97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to have my ovaries removed, 1 in 2008 then the other (and my uterus) in 2009. I've been on compounded bioidentical hormones ever since.

Without them I'd be a bigger mess than I am now. [Smile]

Posts: 77 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love bioidentical hormones.

Oral progesterone at night and topical estrogen and testosterone in the morning.

Helped alot with sleep and fatigue for sure, along with oral DHEA in the A.M.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
APMOM
Member # 28786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for APMOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the replies! So no bad reactions and are there any safety concerns?
Posts: 76 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful of any BREAST issues
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elainer97
Member # 33917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elainer97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bio identical hormones don't carry the same risks as the synthetic ones like Premarin.

I'm sure if you used them when you didn't need then you'd get everything out of balance and that wouldn't be good.

Using bio ident progesterone will protect breast tissue and bone health. Also the progesterone got rid of the fibrocysts in my breasts.

I wish I had done the saliva hormone tests before I developed the huge ovarian cysts and uterine fibroid- I might've been able to head all that off and not be in full menopause at the age of 37. Fun, fun!

It's hard to get all the hormones regulated when I have so many similar -to-menopause symptoms from all the other crazy stuff going on.

My NP called me "a case study" but I think if she had been Lyme literate she wouldve added everything up to = Lyme & co. and I'd already be on treatment. (ditto that for the many other docs I've seen over the years!)

I guessing if I'd had treatment my hormones might've stablized and I might not have lost my female bits. B/c from what I've read, Lyme screws up your hormones and I believe it.

Posts: 77 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten also screws up hormones for some women.

I find my Progesterone level plummets when I get exposed to gluten, and then I get migraines and bad cramps during my cycle. Also, I no longer get the painful ovarian cysts periodically now that I've been eating gluten-free (I've been on a gluten-free diet since 2005).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both my lyme Dr (who studied hormones) and my Ob-gyn told me that I must take ORAL progesterone along with the topical estrogen and testosterone.

They said it protects the uterus.

I'm sure there would be some who would disagree and use topical progestreone, but that's what they both said.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on them for years - after my hysterectomy. Dr. says they help and I say they help....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
APMOM
Member # 28786

My Mom developed breast cancer from Premarin, so that is my concern with anything concerning hormone treatment. I know Bio-Identical hormones are different, but just want to be absolutely sure I don't risk anything because I also have a VERY strong family history of breast cancer on my paternal side (males included in being diagnosed even).

I have been Gluten free for almost a year. I also have a ovarian cyst. My cycle was regulated with thyroid treatment from my LLMD for about 6 months, but is now all out of wack again so that is why he did this testing. (since my last bio-son almost 6 years ago I haven't had regular periods, maybe a few a year).

Thanks all!

lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been speaking with 2 different doctors about possibly starting bio identical hormones and they both question me as to why?? They say that testing hormone levels is never accurate and they fluctuate throughout the month. They would rather I don't go on hormones. I am following up with a gyno to get his opinion.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Progesterone is required to protect the uterus, but does not have to be oral. I personally found oral progesterone to be depressing and sedating, though some appreciate the effect. Topical is better absorbed, so can be used in much lower doses with the same benefit(uterus protection). Topical can build up in fatty tissue if applied to it, so could be used intra vag. or on bony areas. Like everything, it's complicated....sigh...
Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Premarin is to be avoided, that is for sure. Bio-identical hormones have helped me a lot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I read where extended time on Bio Hormones like testosterone and estrogen, ect was not good.

The body gives up its methods of making the hormone naturally because of the constant supplementation.

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement