LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Now shingles? Any advice appreciated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now shingles? Any advice appreciated
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CountryMouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am at a loss. I was diagnosed with shingles today. I am freaking out a bit since it is starting to get painful now. I have never had them and I'm not sure if I should change what I am doing or not.

I am on doxy, LDN, the LB Core Protocol, vitamin D3, magnesium, and nystatin. Today they put me on Valtrex for one week and gave me percocet for pain. I am going off the LDN today because if I need the percocet it won't work otherwise.

I would have thought the LDN would have kept the shingles from showing up. Maybe I am just fighting too much right now - Lyme, systemic candida, now this. I am in school and working as well.

I'm not sure what else to do to help me get over the shingles. I am wondering if I should go back on the B12 shots, given they are good for nerves...anyone done this? I am at the point where I am getting the sharp "needle" pains mixed with the crawling sensation. The patch is on my right temple.

I am just now starting to understand why some people choose to stop treatment for Lyme. I am so tired. I felt so good the first month and now (3 1/2 months later) every day seems to bring another issue. Not trying to be a whiner, I know you all have been where I am...just venting I guess.

If anyone has had shingles while being treated for Lyme and you have advice, I would love to hear it. Also if you were on LDN and got shingles, I wondered if you stayed on LDN or went off for awhile. I did read a few past posts about shingles but didn't find a specific note about the B12 or LDN.

Thanks

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:
IGG: 31 IND, 41+++, 45+, 58+
IGM: 31+, 39 IND, 41 IND, 83-93 IND
Band 31 confirmed to be Lyme epitope by Igenex 7/2011

8/2011 IgX: POSITIVE
IGG: 31+, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41++, 45+, 58+
IGM: 31+, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41++, 83-93+

Posts: 169 | From Western Mass | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CountryMouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should say too that I just started the LB Core Protocol a week ago. So not enough time to notice anything I think (unless the shingles are a reaction to it?).

I am also getting a much higher number of "nerve shocks" today. I always get them but today it is much worse.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Posts: 169 | From Western Mass | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What co infections do you have

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know someone with a Rife Machine, you can use it to get rid of Shingles.

It took two treatments to dry up and eliminate Shingles in my wife.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word --terrasol colloidal silver from internet

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Kramberry I do not know. I can't afford the Igenex coinfection test right now. I was previously checked for babesia and erlichiosis and was told I was negative but it was through a standard lab so I don't really believe them.

I will check out the silver online Randi.

bergy I don't know anyone with a rife machine unfortunately. I will investigate them though, I don't know much about them at all. Maybe my naturopath knows someone with one, or has one.

Thank you everyone.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it works miracles
On the blisters and itching.' Cost about 20' or so for a
Small jar but will last a long time.' I had bad blistersp

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my FIL got shingles I made him a bath soak/paste to use and gave him a huge aloe plant.

The bath/paste was just Oatmeal that I pureed in a food processor until it was like powder and then I added some cornstarch. You can put ths in a bath or add water to make a paste and slop it on the shingles area.

The aloe you just peel a leaf and spread the aloe slime on the area. He said it saved him and his shingles were in his groin!

P.S. if you keep the aloe leaf in the fridge it is nice and cool when you apply the slime. Not the whole plant, just cut off a piece at a time.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they put you on an anti-viral for Shingles?
Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

It was too late
For me. Cause i didn't k ow i had it

--------------------

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still should get anti-viral even if past the time period.

I got acyclovir when I was a day past 72 hours and it shortened the time ofmy outbreak and cleared it up.

A friend had them in the brain for more than a week and wasn't expected to recover, at least with his full mental faculties, but they gave him IV acyclovir and he recovered.

When I had mine I didn't know about oreganol, but m wondering if that might help since it's anti-viral?

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the LB protocol?
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started acyclovir within 83 hour hours of the outbreak. The Shingles did not spread nor any pain.

You have to catch it early and get on anti-virals.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

I did not know I had it til yesterday and I had the rash for 5 days. I had called the dermatologist the day after I broke out but she was too busy to see me. She called me in a script for steroid cream which did nothing. Finally I made a call to my PCP who saw me immediately and diagnosed me. I am on valtrex even though it has been a few days since the rash showed up.

The LB Core Protocol is an herbal capsule based on the Buhner protocol. It's made by Green Dragon Botanicals. The capsules contain japanese knotweed, andrographis, sarsaparilla root, cats claw, and dandelion. I take it three times a day.

Thanks for the "recipe" mom2. The aloe plant is an excellent idea. Now to find one. I know I can find aloe "slime" at the health food store but I imagine the fresh would be best for this.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Haley,

LB protocol is Load Bearing protocol - mostly support herbs as with the Buhner protocol.
--------------------------

http://greendragonbotanicals.com/products/lyme-protocols/lb-core-protocol.html

This herbal formula provides potent 'Load-Bearing' compounds that assist the immune system, aid detoxification, and support the body under stress.*

The herbs are practitioner formulated, and based on Stephen Buhner's book, "Healing Lyme" - Here's the book link:

http://greendragonbotanicals.com/products/books/healing-lyme-by-stephen-buhner.html
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

I was over a week or so and my doctor told me it w as too late. The shingles were on my lower back so he would not give me anything

--------------------

Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just finishing my infection with shingles.
It's been 2 months and the pain is mostly gone.
If you get on an antiviral within a few days you (may) head it off but it sounds like you are in for the virus to run it's course.

You can try lots of things but there is really not much you can do. The only thing I did find that helps allot is apple cider vinegar; it works for the itching; Just dab it on or rub lightly.

OH ! I forgot, Oxycodone helped with the pain.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noodlydoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noodlydoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some studies that I pulled together. In a nutshell, research Vitamin C and Vitamin B12. Best wishes.

http://www.inthegut.com/content.php?199-Vitamins-may-provide-quick-relief-for-Shingles-outbreak

Posts: 261 | From Washington | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

This is so interesting. Today I went in and they checked my rash. The doctor was "astounded" at how quickly my rash was healing. I have had it for 9 days. I have been bombarding myself with valtrex and cats claw (in the LB Core Protocol) 3x a day. But over the past 6 weeks I have been giving myself B12 shots so I would be willing to bet that my levels were so high already that it helped me kick the rash and nerve pains quickly. I also have been taking acerola berry powder (vitamin C). I only get occasional zings now (but the itching continues).

I don't think the valtrex can be all that is curing me because I started it 5 days after the rash showed up and usually it isn't good after a couple days of rash. I think all of the above really helped.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement