LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Female issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Female issue
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CountryMouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago prior to my diagnosis, I would get regular cases of bacterial vaginosis. What made it maddening was that it was almost always after sex with my husband and it was nearly every month. This went on for over a year. After awhile it got better and I didn't have many problems.

Well I am having the same problem all over again now. I thought it was yeast but I have treated myself twice and I just burn when I use the medicine and typically if I have yeast it feels better within a day or two. I am pretty confident that it is BV again.

I am wondering at this point if I keep getting reinfected by hubby with either a coinfection or lyme itself. I know the jury is out on whether it is an STD or not.

I have had cultures over and over and they never show anything except the doc treats me with AB cream just because she can't figure anything else out. It does seem to work but it just works til I have sex then it's back again. He's been checked for STDs as have I and always negative.

If it was lyme, what AB would work best vaginally? Does anyone have the same problem and if so how did you treat it? I want to go to the doc with some idea of which AB cream to use. And as soon as possible we will get hubby tested for lyme.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:
IGG: 31 IND, 41+++, 45+, 58+
IGM: 31+, 39 IND, 41 IND, 83-93 IND
Band 31 confirmed to be Lyme epitope by Igenex 7/2011

8/2011 IgX: POSITIVE
IGG: 31+, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41++, 45+, 58+
IGM: 31+, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41++, 83-93+

Posts: 169 | From Western Mass | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really say for sure, but could it have something to do with dryness and the friction it causes? My mom ended up at the doctor's office a few years ago after having sex with my dad (eewww) for the first time in a couple of years. He's on blood pressure medicine, need I say more as to why they don't do much in bed anymore?

IDK but maybe the friction causes some microscopic tears and bacteria enters through them? If you do feel like you have dryness issues, it won't hurt anything to use some lubrication.

Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your pH is probably off. Google vaginal pH lactobacillus. You may need to reintroduce healthy bacteria to lower your pH and crowd out the yeast and bad bacteria.

You can use yogurt mixed with additional probiotics. Google probably has info on that, too!

I think you can fix this without having to resort to more and more antibiotics.

Good luck!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens when you use a condom during sex?
Do you get vaginitis afterwards?

Also, try a different lubricant.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.probiotics-lovethatbug.com/vaginal-ph.html

http://www.sweetspotlabs.com/vulvaphbalance.shtml

This will get you started!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CountryMouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info all. I will try to answer the questions you asked.

When we use condoms, I do not get an infection. That is why I feel it is related to him somehow. During my period, I use the RePhresh tampons so my pH stays low and the yeast won't take hold as easily.

Typically we don't need lubricant. From about 2 or 3 days after my period I am typically fine in that regard. However when I get an infection, I dry up and my libido stops completely. A past doc told me during an internal exam once that the bacteria/yeast had colonized me inside so bad that my natural lubrication was stopped. She was stumped as to why but I truly think Lyme is involved.

It makes sense about the tears. It typically shows up first just after my period when there is a lot of chafing. I might try the coconut oil that was suggested during my next period to keep the chafing down. Maybe that will help.

I will check out the links - thank you!! I swear this is the most annoying parts of this treatment so far, even worse than the shingles!

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Posts: 169 | From Western Mass | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

I just read that mycoplasma is one of the bugs that can cause BV! Maybe this could be part of the problem too? Just a theory to explore of course, but perhaps it was killed off initially by the doxy (I was great the first month I was treated for Lyme) but then reemerged and is now resistant. Hmmm...

I also read that soap should not be used in that area, which I am completely guilty of. I have pH paper so I will check my pH and see where I am.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An easy remedy is to make boric acid capsules-google boric acid yeast and BV.

The boric acid restores the vaginal PH. I was advised by my Gyn to use one after sex, and my period as I use to get BV. Also, low B vitamins can cause it.

Do you take Prilosec or something similar? They inhibit the absorbtion of B-12

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking fish oil? Pharmaceutical quality?
The Omega 3's in fish oil improve the quality of cell membranes.

I know that after I began fish oil, blocked pores liquified and my skin always felt well conditioned.
I never get chapped hands now, where as before it was awful.

Fish oil improves the quality of all cell membranes, not just the outer skin.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Thanks Carol. I was unable to digest fish oil in the past but I am working with a new naturopath and he gave me something to take with it for better digestion. I haven't tried yet because of all the other supplements I have at this point, but I should. I get chapped hands constantly so this is something I should probably do sooner rather than later.

Beth nope, I don't take prilosec but I have Crohns disease so my absorption is limited due to scar tissue, even though I am in remission right now. I take B12 shots weekly but just switched to sublingual due to swelling from the shots. I will check out the boric acid. I have clear cellulose capsules, would those work or do the empty capsules need to be gelatin?

At this point I have lower abdominal pain and that just started today. So I think I need to get an internal and make sure there isn't something else going on.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement