LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Toronto Lyme Conference--Dr. H's Talk--my notes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto Lyme Conference--Dr. H's Talk--my notes
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the notes I took on Dr. H's talk, for those who were unable to listen. Of course, I missed the things he said when transmission was down.

Hoping this may help some of you or your doctors regarding babesiosis.

2011 ILADS Conference, Toronto, Canada

Lyme & Babesiosis: Updates on Treatment & Diagnosis 2011

Dr. H 10/28/11

He has 20 years of experience treating lyme; >12,000 chronic patients
He was in France and China discussing babesiosis. Talked with Chinese CDC regarding parasites

Some of his patients get better with glutathione alone. It opens up the detox pathways (is an anti-oxidant)

Borrelia miyamotoi is showing up in ticks in Hyde Park, NY. This strain is in Japan. We can�t test for it.

There is a new ehrlichia species also found.

Indicators of bad outcome with babesiosis:

male sex, extremely high WBC

We see blood transfusion babesiosis in California. WA-1 is now in the Northeast U.S.. It is found along the entire eastern seaboard. It is difficult to get a positive test for it. LabCorp has a WA-1 test. The FISH through Igenex is also very useful.

He treats with clindamycin with azithromycin, also Mepron, then malarone. There is lots of Mepron resistance. So, he adds Septra (Bactrim). This works well. Also, he uses much higher doses of Mepron due to the Mepron resistance.

He uses coartem (which has Artemisinin in it) Dosage is 4 twice per day. Take at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m.; then switch to 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. It can be pulsed once per month.

You can�t combine this with any med that affects the QT interval.

Babs is spreading world-wide. Babs also suppresses the immune system (based on a study of b. microti)

Artemisinin is not as effective now as it was in the past. Use art when coartem doesn�t cure the person. He no longer uses ketek.

Beta blockers (blood pressure medicines) control these types of parasites. So, use them as an antagonist. We need a study on this. Heparin may also inhibit babs. Need a large study on this.

Curcumin (a herb)--he is now using it to treat babs. Published studies show it is useful for malaria.

Cryptolepis has been used in Africa for malaria. There is a published study in Ghana. It had a 93% cure rate (a 50% cure rate in 3 days; 90% cure rate in 7 days) You can get it at: www.woodlandessence.com

If adrenal function is low (patient has a low cortisol), they will not respond to antibiotics.

He told of a patient with intractable babs. They were treated for babs for 5 years and were not cured. Then, he gave them 1 teaspoon of cryptolepis 3 times per day with Byron White herbs. This is making the patient feel well. He hasn�t found any side effects with the cryptolepis. It may not be curative. It lowers the parasite load and strengthens the patient�s immune system.

Brucellosis also causes night sweats, so check for this in a patient with night sweats.

Use malarone for the patient who can�t clear babs. Low dose to maintain them.

We need new treatment options for babs.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks, so much, TF. Good set of notes.

His was the only talk I was able to view all the way through on streaming -- and, my, oh, my, did he have a lot of good information at a rapid pace.

Very helpful to see your notes along with with my scribbles.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impressed that you could grab this as it went by like a bullet train.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou, the advantages of no longer having Lyme. [Smile] Thanks TF for he notes. I appreciate it. Very useful.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My Note: Always check with LLMD. This is just one suggestion for a support. Babesia treatment should ALWAYS be a combination. Never any one thing alone. Rotations often help, too.
----------------------------

Since Cryptolepis is in short supply and only in an alcohol tincture, I'll add this.

Not mentioned by the speaker but by one of the social media posters who typed on the stream page that an Amazon Rainforest herb seemed to help babesia for her/him.

I've been studying this lately, so from my file notes:

--------------------

Chanca Piedra (Phyllanthus niruri) aka: a double "i" for niruii, and "Stonebreaker"

http://www.rain-tree.com/chanca-piedra-extract.htm

Chanca Piedra - Tropical Plant Database - be sure to see the 3rd party research, too.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=raintree&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=763393580&Count2=680534005

Chanca Piedra - liquid extract (glycerine, non-alcohol)

http://www.rain-tree.com/chanca-capsules.htm

Chanca Piedra Capsules

Also in this formula:

http://www.rain-tree.com/spiro-extract.htm

SPIRO Capsules

=====================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=phyllanthus%2Bnirurii

PubMed Search of medical abstracts from around the world:

Phyllanthus+nirurii - 601 abstracts

Phyllanthus+nirurii, Babesia - one. Here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Phyllanthus%2Bnirurii%2C%20Babesia

J Nat Prod. 2005 Apr;68(4):537-9.

Anti-babesial and anti-plasmodial compounds from Phyllanthus niruri.

Not much detail here, though. To try to locate full article, search Google for full title, with quotations marks. I got too tired to stick with that for long.

===============================

A few education articles also pop up from a Google search for:

Phyllanthus+niruri - and for:

Phyllanthus+niruri, babesiosis

===============================

My Note: This is just one suggestion for a support. Always check with LLMD. Babesia treatment should ALWAYS be a combination. Never any one thing alone. Rotations often help, too.
-

[ 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have the notes from the talk on pregnancy and gestational Lyme ? Tha k you.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I should be ready to post them tomorrow.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, Great job on the notes. I've watched both days from beginning til end, but knew I should have been taking notes.

Even so, I would have never been able to be a thorough as you are here. Impressive. Thank you so much for passing this on.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thsnks TF

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the notes TF. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is much there that hubby has not already done.

As to the cryptolepis -- he worked up to 1 tablespoon (not 1 teaspoon) 3 times per day and that did not cure his babesia. It did make his Parkinsonian tremors go away for the first time but when we tried this experiment a couple of years ago the herb was not just in short supply but it became totally unavailable for 3 or 4 months and then a repeat of the experiment did not work.

Cryptolepis supposedly works on both babs and bart.

Actually Buhner is now recommending a different herb as his first choice for babesia -- sida acuta -- also from Woodland Essence. But right now that herb is backordered from Africa I think and is out of stock for at least a month or so.

The info on the beta blockers is something hubby might want to discuss with his doc. That is new info to me.

Thanks again.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree that we need new treatment options for babesia.

Hubby made it 4 1/2 days this time instead of just 1 1/2 days off of babesia meds before the nausea and dry heaves and tremors got too bad. We only added back the malarone and were able to hold off on the diflucan, artemisinin and lariam for the entire week. So I do think we are making slow progress since his RBC has been normal for an entire month now -- the longest stretch since the fevers started back in March.

Unfortunately the RMSF or HGA (anaplasma) still seems to be an issue as his WBC has gone low for 2 weeks in a row now, so treatment for that needs to take priority before we can move on to a different more aggressive babesia protocol. I haven't figured out yet what that would be at this point.

We were hoping stopping art for a week would raise the WBC but it didn't budge so the problem is not the meds unless for some really strange reason doxycycline and levaquin are suddenly lowering his WBC. He stayed on those 2 meds to cover for serratia and RMSF and HGA.

Hubby has an LLMD appointment Tuesday so hoping we can figure something out then.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Up for those interested in babesiosis.
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your time to put this together for us! I appreciate your willingness to share.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, TF
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Putting this back on page one for the last time in case some did not see it.
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you again TF!
Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement