LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Guess what's in NEXIUM?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guess what's in NEXIUM?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The kitchen sink!!! [Eek!] I keep thinking I am reacting to something in the Nexium. (still not sure) .. but look at what is in it!!!!!

I'm thinking it's the food colorings or the "sugar spheres" .. I keep reacting (itching and rash) to something and it may possibly be the Nexium. I also get a rash and itching when I eat something sweet.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/238590-nexium-inactive-ingredients/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! I hope you can find something else to help with the acid reflux.

I just had an endoscope done, and I have polyps in there somewhere. I was quite disturbed when they told me that the meds probably caused this.

I knew there was a good reason why I wasn't comfortable taking Prilosec or Nexium every day like they were wanting me to.

They kept telling me that they thought I had acid reflux and I kept telling them I didn't think I did.

My esophagus showed that it was perfectly normal. Go figure. I am now taking digestive enzymes to try and help my stomach to feel better.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the side affects of Nexium is fibromyalgia like symptoms,it is in the literature !!! Wow just what we need...are these Big Pharmas just plain crazy???
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo I am not sure what your need is for nexium but I have just learned some very helpful information from my Lyme doc.

I was on protonix for four years and it turns out i have low stomach acid which is common from Lyme. The symptoms from low stomach acid are the same as high.

You can do a very easy " burp test" to confirm if this is your situation.

I have been supplementing hcl with meals and guess what no more "heartburn".

I have some very good articles from my doctor if anyone is interested.

I also had an overgrowth of four different bacteria in my small bowel from having low stomach acid for so many years. That also impairs absorption of food and nutrients.

Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I have found both DGL and Slippery Elm to be fabulous. Both of these brands are gluten-free.

For slippery elm without anything else added, though, it can be bought as a powder that one mixes with a little water, then with more warm water for a gruel.
----------------------

http://www.enzymatictherapy.com/Products/Digestion/Occasional-Heartburn-and-Indigestion/09139-DGL-Ultra-Fructose-Free.aspx

Chewable deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) tablet

Fructose free.

=======================

http://www.thayers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=8

Thayers Slippery Elm Lozenges - Sugar Free

(still read the ingredients, you may want to do a Google Search: "Slippery Elm bark powder" brings up several good sources of just the powder, nothing else - (StarWest; Frontier; NOW).

and also Mountain Rose Herbs:

www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/s.html

=========================

http://www.tillotsoninstitute.com/important-herbs/slippery-elm-inner-bark-ulmus-rubra.html

Slippery Elm - a chapter from the book "The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook" by Tillotson.

---------

http://www.tillotsoninstitute.com/important-herbs/licorice-root-glycyrrhiza-glabra.html

Licorice - DGL - a book chapter, same source as above
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lymetoo, you might be able to reduce your acid reflux with herbal tea. I have a recipe that I've been on for years and it really helped. I have always been afraid of acid reflux meds, so I'm glad this has worked for me.

I used to have terrible GERD and reflux (and stomach ulcer/h. pylori) just about every day and now it only happens sometimes when I accidentally eat something I shouldn't.

Let me know if you want the recipe - I'd be happy to share it here for everyone if that's allowable.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know gang. Thanks .. I've tried the slippery elm, DGL (nasty) and most herbs make my acid reflux go off the charts. Tried the burp test too. I burped! [Razz]

I'm going to try changing to another for now.

PS . . I recently found out that licorice can make your potassium levels tank, and I can't afford for that to happen. My potassium levels are already precarious.

nenet .. you can post the recipe here! It might help someone! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo - ok thanks, will do! I'll paste it at the bottom of this post.

Btw, as far as I've learned at least, drinking slippery elm bark tea shouldn't cause any reflux problems. It's not chemically active/is neutral. It acts as a physical protective mucilage barrier to your stomach and esophagus.

I'm not sure, but maybe if one took it (slippery elm) as a capsule/dry form it could cause upset as it isn't able to work that way - it has to be boiled and extracted to create the necessary mucilage film.

I also have trouble with Licorice. I'm not sure but it seems to upset my stomach a little - just a little too strong for my tastes.

Anyway, you might want to give this very mild recipe a try for at least 3-4 weeks and see if you start to notice a difference. It works slowly as it is intended to calm, soothe, and protect, to allow your body to heal and return to balance.

Stuff You'll Need:

1) Spring Water (important to use pure spring water if at all possible, tap will usually have chlorine and other contaminants)

2) Cut Herbs (not Powdered), Certified Organic and/or Wild-Crafted wherever possible - these plants will be far better medicinal quality and won't have the risks of chemical contamination.

-Peppermint Leaves
-Chamomile (Flowers)
-Marshmallow Root
-Slippery Elm Bark

3) 1 Quart Mason Jars and Lids (need at least 4-6, they come in packs of 12 - cheapest we've found is Kroger or Wal-Mart)

4) 1 2-3 Quart Saucepan with good-fitting lid

5) 1 Ladle

6) 1 Large Sturdy Mixing Bowl that holds 2 to 3 quarts (needs to have sturdy wide base to keep from tipping) - or just use a secondary 2 to 3 quart saucepan

7) 1 Fine-Mesh Sieve - to fit onto your saucepan or bowl opening (should have supports along edge, or be larger in diameter than bowl/pot opening)

***Stomach/GERD/Reflux Tea Recipe***

In a 2-3 quart saucepan, add 2 quarts Spring Water, and:

12 Tbsp Organic Chamomile,
8 Tbsp Organic Marshmallow Root,
4 Tbsp Organic Slippery Elm Bark,
4 Tbsp Organic Peppermint Leaves

1) Bring to rolling boil and maintain for 5 minutes, watching very closely, and stirring down frequently so as not to boil over. Then cover & remove from heat.

2) Let steep, covered, for at least 4 hours (overnight is easiest). You can wrap the lid-covered pot with a couple of towels to keep it even warmer if you prefer.

3) After 4 hours/overnight, strain out tea with a sieve into a large sturdy mixing bowl, and return the leftover strained herbs to original cooking pot.

4)Add 1 1/2-2 quarts spring water to the leftover strained herbs in cooking pot and heat on medium-high (not boiling, just hot) for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

5) When done, strain this through sieve (pressing liquid gently out of herbs through sieve with backside of a large spoon) and add to the already strained tea from previous batch. Discard or compost herbs.

Storage and Serving Suggestions:

Place tea in mason jars (a ladle helps here) and *refrigerate immediately*. Makes between 3-4 quarts, do not use after 2 weeks, as it will begin to spoil.

To serve, shake well and add 1 part tea to 1 part water, heat and drink 2-3 times per day.

Drink at least 1.5 to 2 hours from other meds or supplements, as this tea creates a physical barrier to the digestive system to promote healing and protect from acid. 1.5 to 2 hours should be plenty of time to allow for the tea to no longer cause this issue.

I'm not a Doctor and don't even play one on the Tee-vee. This recipe doesn't constitute medical advice, and I don't make any medical claims or suggest that what it's done for me will definitely happen for you. I only hope that it helps.

An extra benefit of the tea is that it does seem to help soothe me and is great both in the morning and evening - it doesn't make me sleepy so much as calm and relaxed.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me. I also have a Lyme Detox tea recipe that I mix with this and drink morning and night. I'd be happy to share that too.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OK, mix some up and send it to me!! HAHAHAHAAA!!

[lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nexium is a joke.

Most of us have LOW stomach acid and need to supplement it via HCL betain, Zinc, ACV, etc

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, did you ever try the Marshmallow root capsules? That's what got rid of my husband's problems.
Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

The Marshmallow root constipated me big time! Sorry, TMI!! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, we use the marshmallow root with slippery elm and never had a problem in that department. Actually never had a problem with it, at all.

Sorry my suggestion caused a backup. [Frown]

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Slippery Elm is good... but didn't work as far as the acid reflux for me.

No worries, Elaine!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement