LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » are drs giving false hope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: are drs giving false hope
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone...i got a packet from the llmd office i am going to see in over a month, and in the packet there were testimonial sabout how people are now well and happy and so on.

while i think this is great, i wonder if it offers false hope to people like me, who at best can hope to not get worse or die. i wonder if by doing this, drs are promoting their brand so to speak, at the expense of realistic exprectations for the patient.

maybe im just jealous that i keep doing and trying different meds over the yrs and nothing works. but i see these drs and i sometimes think they are snake oil salesman. do you guys ever feel that way too, or am i nuts? love, jess

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be happy to hear those stories... who's to say you won't GET WELL!!? Have you been tested for all the coinfections, viruses, etc??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people get well, some don't. Hard to predict in advance. But getting diagnosed late is a bad indicator.

As long as the doc does not promise too much, maybe some cheering up might be in order because people have heard such horror stories that they lose hope.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc got rid of lyme and coinfections for me. That was over 6 1/2 years ago. I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life.

Also, I have a number of friends who went to the doctors I recommend and they all got rid of lyme also.

You just don't encounter these folks on LymeNet. Just remember that. They are off living their lives. None of my friends ever posted on LymeNet, even while treating.

You don't have the entire lyme population here. The ones with problems getting well tend to stick around. The ones that get well generally just leave.

I suggest you take a more positive outlook. What your brain thinks really does affect your body. That has been proven medically. So, try optimism. It is your best chance of getting well. Pessimism hinders the process of getting well. That goes for cancer, lyme, and any other disease.

Pessimism tells the body, "Give up. Don't fight. You can't win." So, the body won't fight the germs like it could. Don't do this to yourself.

They found out with our soldiers who became prisoners of war in Korea that if a person gave up and did not want to live anymore, they would go in a corner and in 3 days they would be dead for no medical reason.

And, when given placebos (fake pills), patients believed the medication they were getting would help them, and so a good percent got better, in spite of the fact the pills were fake.

The placebo effect is all about thinking positively regarding your illness.

Please take this to heart and spend time every day telling yourself you will be well, you will get rid of this disease, you want to fight it with all you have in you, etc.

There are certainly others on LymeNet who have thought the "snake oil salesman" type thoughts. You are not the only one.

If you just began seeing a lyme doctor in the last month or so, you can't compare that to all the things you tried over the years. Until you get a proper diagnosis, you can try all you like. You won't make any progress because the things you are trying are not the treatment for what is wrong with you.

Once you get a diagnosis, that is half the battle. Expect good things to happen from now on.

I had undiagnosed lyme disease for 10 years before a doctor figured out what was wrong with me. I still got healed. Why shouldn't the doctor tell people about patients like me?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF Thank you ... you are a light in a dark place for many of us... You have made a huge impact on so many... thank you so very much...
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they definitely do paint a rosy picture at times.

They are not so quick to promote the failures, which, in many peoples' opinion, is about a billion times higher.

But maybe a rosy picture is what's needed. I don't know.

One of my last LLMD's assured me that I would regain function and that my food intolerances would be gone in a year or two. Two years later, after following his therapies, I was completely disabled, stuck in bed in a darkened house with much worse intolerances. Too weak to take care of myself, to even walk to the bathroom.

You won't read that in the brochures.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you TF as a caregiver to my DD it does get discouraging but you bring hope to so many. All of us need to remain positive.

Thank you,

Debg

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF that's very good advice, positive thinking goes a long way and negative thinking gets you nowhere. It's hard and if you are a perpetual negative thinker you basically need to re-train yourself to think positive. If you can do this though you will be much better off in many ways.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement