LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yikes! Potato chips (and other fried foods) highly carcinogenic!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yikes! Potato chips (and other fried foods) highly carcinogenic!
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/07/the-shocking-true-story-of-how-pringles-are-made.aspx?e_cid=20111107_DNL_art_1
That's a frightening article.

I used to eat an entire bag of Kettle brand chips every day before I got Lyme. I used to think they were healthier, because they had all-natural ingredients, and they were "baked, not fried".

The baked ones usually have more carcinogens!

Good thing I didn't read this before I got Lyme, because it would have been difficult for me to accept. But now that I've gone 6 months without chips, I don't care that much to cut them out.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't bring it up but I had some friends that said they lived near a potato processing plant and the smell was so horrible they could not tolerate any potato products - like instant mashed or even tater tots. They told me if I smelled it I would never eat them either - and I took their word for it.

It looks like that article is about pringles which are processed. The kettle ones might be better if they are just cut up and fried. Potatoes are bad for us though - high on the GI. The oil they fry them in is probably processed crap that is highly inflammatory.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we want french fries, I will buy a bottle of canola oil(I know not the best) and make us a batch of homemade ones.

Then I throw the oil out. It goes rancid very quickly. That's why anything fried in a restaurant is very bad for you. The oil is rancid.

This is a rare treat at my house. They are so yummy!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lalalala, I can't HEAR you!

Potato chips are the one thing I do still eat that is bad for me. Not stopping. I NEVER eat the baked ones.

I am SEVERELY allergic to shellfish, so I cannot eat fried food out since they're all fried in the same fryer (except at Red Robin, where I almost never eat), so potato chips are the ONE fried food I can have.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

nefferdun - although the title makes it sound like it focuses on just Pringles, if you read the article more closely you'll see it talks about all potato chips, and other fried foods like french fries. Also, they specifically mention the high level of carcinogens in the Kettle baked chips. Those were my favorite! [Frown]

I'm just gonna stay away from any fried foods in general now. We don't need our bodies being stressed and taxed by the foods we eat. On the contrary, we should be eating foods that are helping and healing the body, and giving it strength. FNA.

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
Lalalala, I can't HEAR you!

Potato chips are the one thing I do still eat that is bad for me. Not stopping. I NEVER eat the baked ones.

LOL! [lol] I hope your kids don't do that "lalala" thing to you! [Smile] One of my friend's kids does that to him, and it looks SUPER rude to anyone outside the family.

Oh, okay... so since you only eat the FRIED ones, and never the baked ones... that means that they're not that bad for you, right? Like Tutu would say: "UH HUH." [Smile]

Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James - I read this article also today... I was so depressed. I LOVE potato chips they are for sure my vice.

I don't know if I can completely quite cold turkey [Smile] they are my addiction. We need some alternatives.

Maybe I have a yeast issue? Dr K says our decisions we make especially eating, are about 90% based on parasites, yeast, etc other external factors within the body and not the brain.

**edited name of LLMD**

[ 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LALALALA, I can't hear you!!! [lol]

It is one of my minor vices... yep, Kettle's. Only occasionally when I get a craving for salt.

UH HUH

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thus Kale chips!! We just had some!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
LOL! [lol] I hope your kids don't do that "lalala" thing to you! [Smile] One of my friend's kids does that to him, and it looks SUPER rude to anyone outside the family.

Oh, okay... so since you only eat the FRIED ones, and never the baked ones... that means that they're not that bad for you, right? Like Tutu would say: "UH HUH." [Smile]

Do you really think I'm such a pushover my kids would do that to me??? [lol] [lol] [lol]

Right. Fried = healthy. LOL

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by scorpiogirl:
Thus Kale chips!! We just had some!

I do eat more kale chips. I find that when I'm working out more is when I want the potato chips. Might have to do with the salt, or maybe just the calories.

--------------------

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like seaweed chips.. well they are not really chips.. but they are just seaweed snacks.. curbs my salt cravings..

BUT - I do have a weakness for chips and french fries.. funny because I don't love potatoes as a food (like roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes.. never really crave those)..

But fried is aweseom. Kettle is good! I love the Cape Cod Jalapeno cheddar chips.. I cannot stop eating it once I start..

Ah well - if I am taking Mepron, it's an excuse to consume enough fat huh?

But alas not on Mepron now, so I have no excuse!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

We should just find some way to make our own non-toxic potato chips at home. Maybe if there's a slow-cooking method, it won't contain so many carcinogens?

If you look at this link here:
http://www.envirolaw.org/report_how_potato_chips_stack_up.pdf
you'll see that even some of the commercial brands have managed to cook them safely without high levels of acrylomides. If THEY can do it, we sure should be able to do it.

(BTW, notice that Kettle brand chips are at the top of that chart with the most carcinogens! I used to think those were a "healthy" kind of chip...)

I don't feel like researching non-toxic potato chip methods now, but if someone finds a good one, please post it here! [Smile] Then maybe we can make an official "LymeNet Potato Chip Making Day", where all of us make the same recipe at home on the same day. [Smile]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... so I'll eat Cape Cod next time. No problem! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Penguingirl, I can't eat most flavored chips ... most of them have msg ... the "healthy" ones call msg "yeast extract." It gives me huge stomach cramps.

Really James? I like Kettle. I also like Ruffles ... the "natural" ones because they aren't as greasy.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

no flavored for me ... gluten

PS .. James, you're a spoil-sport.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Kettle chips gluten-free? I thought so...

(the plain ones)?

Well maybe Cape code plain chips are at least!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

The plain should be OK.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

James1979
Unregistered

How do you know the Cape Cod ones don't use hydrogenated oil? That's one of the worst toxins.

Tutu - what is a spoil-sport?

penguingirl
Member # 28688

OMG James - you confused me.. I was like is this Scorpiogirls' post or James? You are putting her graemlin in too..

So you MUST secretly like it.. right? just admit it now!

Stop being a spoil-sport.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
 -

James1979
Unregistered

HER graemlin?! What are you talking about? I'm the one who had it first! SHE copied ME!

Dang. That girl copies everything I do. First I put images in posts, then she wants images in posts. I put images in my sig line, then she wants images in her sig line. I use the wooperwalkie graemlin, then SHE wants the wooperwalkie graemlin! Whatever.

What's a spoil sport? PG is my age, so if SHE knows it, it must not be an old-peoples word.

penguingirl
Member # 28688

No, I really don't know what it means, though..

Maybe like being a bad sport?
and spoiling the fun (of eating chips?)?

Totally guessing...

--------------------
 -

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Good guess .... I guess I fall into the old people category .... Scary.

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

Aha... so if PG doesn't know what it means... then it COULD be an old-peoples word! Maybe Tutu can shed a light on this issue for us. I remember last time she was giving quotes from the 19th century, and she expected us to know what they meant! [Smile]

Good night everyone. I'm super tired now. It's fun to chat with you guys.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement