LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » We have lyme, house has mold, we are broke, what do I do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We have lyme, house has mold, we are broke, what do I do?
canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 11 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in treatment for Lyme and my children have congenital lyme. Two of them are currently in treatment. One child has major behavioral issues (defiant, tantrums, ocd tendencies) but at school she is lovely and excels.

It has been suggested on this forum in the past that I look into mold as a possible additional issue in my home. Having a full finished basement that has been under a foot of water several times, I figure mold could play a part.

Since our last flood several months ago, mold has been on the walls throughout the basement. When it first happened, my friend and I scrubbed a lot of it off with bleach, not knowing much at all about the dangers of mold. Mold continued to grow and I continued to research. I stopped cleaning the mold myself and a lot of it is still there.

My kids basically don't go downstairs at all. However I can smell the mold upstairs too. Our house is not huge, a one floor ranch with the basement, so I feel that if we are in the house, we are breathing in the mold.

I had a reputable mold removal company come for a free assessment. He went through the whole house with me and I was relieved to see that there was no mold upstairs. However, the basement needs major renovation. The bottom of the walls needs to be removed as well as a good amount of the "stuff" down there (furniture, toys).

I am broke, going through a horrible divorce from a very bitter man who only just began to comply with the judge's order to pay support and he has been gone a year. I have my own teaching salary and it is a struggle to get through this time. I have to borrow money from family (who is tired of lending and who doesn't really have any more to give).

The mold removal estimate, not including the work that will need to be done to prevent further flooding, was almost $6,000.00.

I don't have a dime, but I don't feel that I can ignore this problem. I don't know if I would be able to get a loan or if that is a good idea. I struggle every day with my own and my children's health issues, and I can't stand the fact that there is this mold in my home that is so very likely hindering our healing from lyme.

I am asking for advice. Do I just have someone (or myself) get rid of the visible mold myself? Do I try for a loan? I trust the company that came to my home, and my friend just had them remove all her mold from her home and was pleased with the outcome. But if it's not necessary, then I don't want to spend the money.

Where do I start? I feel like this is a crisis situation now that I know what I know about mold. Thank you for your help.

Posts: 114 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless your heart for hanging in there though all this rough stuff! First thought, and I don't know....

Would your home insurance pay for the repairs? It is not flooding, so maybe?

Can you contact the company and ask for their advise? Maybe they have, or can recommend, a payment plan?

Can the basement be shut down and mold contained there... (block air ducts to upstairs).... and later attend to it when you are able?

Can your sweet lovable jerky hubby be made to pay for part of it?

Might you put a diffuser in the basement and one upstairs with Thieves Oil in it?

How about a dehumidifier to lower the moisture which may stop additional mold growth?

If you do those now, maybe it would kill some of the mold before you or someone else has to do the job?

Can relatives with dollars be told the mold is harming the kids, you have no money to fix it, so "can we all move in with you"?

And remember this...

Where there is a will, there is a way!

Hang in there!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup gave some good suggestions. The only other thing I could suggest is to refinance, if you can. The rates are very low and you could get the extra money you need - maybe even lower your payment.

In the meantime you could move everything out of the basement that might be contaminated and throw it away.

If your basement floods a lot, then paying 6K to fix it this time will not prevent it from happening again and could just be a waste of money. Moving might be your only healthy option. Maybe your x husband could buy it from you.

If your daughter is well behaved at school but throwing tantrums at home, she might be reacting to the mold. I hope you can get out of there if the problem cannot be fixed.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this organization can help you. If you are not in NYC, they may be able to connect you with a Rebuilding Together group in another city.

Wishing you all the best.

Rebuilding Together New York City is a non-profit organization that, in partnership with the community, rehabilitates the houses of low-income homeowners, particularly people who are physically challenged and elderly, and facilities of nonprofit organizations in need so that they may live in warmth, safety, and independence.

Rebuilding Together New York City (RT NYC) takes its cue from the old fashioned idea of �barn raising,� with skilled and unskilled volunteers assigned to a particular project. Homeowners and organizations are frequently amazed at the massive amount of work that can be accomplished by caring volunteers in a short period of time!

http://www.rebuildingtogethernyc.org

New York, New York 10163

Phone: (212) 362-1636

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am truly sorry for what you are going through. I wouldn't wish a mold problem on my worst enemy. Or lyme for that matter.

I can't stand the least amount of mold. I get bedridden.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have no money I would periodically put bowls of MMS in each room as outlined in this article... being careful that you don't want to be breathing the fumes http://www.royalrife.com/mold_summary.pdf

I would also spray any visible mold you can find as well.

If MMS is a problem Thieves Oil also works well.

After, I would turn off any WiFi, remove cordless phones and limit EMF devices and even turn off the circuit breakers at night to reduce how fast mold will grow and it will also help reduce biotoxins per Dr. K which I've also found to be true in my experience. He mentions it in the first 5 minutes of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBKQC2OogcQ&NR=1

Dehumidifiers and good quality HEPA filters after if you can afford it as well.

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TTLav
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TTLav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had mold issues in my house the first things that I was told to do is -- throw away anything that had gotten wet recently or long ago. You can always find someone with a truck to bring loads to the dump. Then get anything that u r keeping + store it in rubbermaid containers and put them up on METAL storage racks. Do not use wood ones-- nothing on the ground. Washer + dryer put on cement blocks so they r not directly on floor. Then buy a industrial dehumidifier at cost they r around $80 your electronic bill will be under $20 monthly to run it. I will continue in the next post
Posts: 109 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TTLav
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TTLav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheaper household dehumidifiers do not work as well and cost more monthly to run. Run industrial dehumidifier for about a week then have a company that is MICRO CERTIFIED
CMI and CMRC for mold inspection and air quality testing -- + water damage. We were able to have our homeowners insurance cover 90% because it was done the right way. My very good friend is micro certified + cmi/cmrc. Ask family and friends to help you -remind them that you would hate to have to move in with them --- you can not wait on this -- good luck

Posts: 109 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TTLav, what kind of industrial dehumidifier costs $80? I was thinking they cost $2,000+!!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry about the mold and you have a lot on your plate. Can you and the kids stay with friends/ family? Or if you can't, keep your windows open upstairs and run dehumidifiers in the basement.

Also, check the EPA's website. They have a lot of good info on mold. Some mold removal jobs can be done yourself depending on the size/scope of the project. The EPA site has info on this as well as guidelines to follow for removal to avoid spreading the mold further.

If it's not a do it yourself job, at least get some other estimates. I'm afraid there is no way around cleaning it up. You can't sell the house like it is. Can you work out a deal with your spouse through your divorce settlement?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and one more thing- detox! Epsom salt baths, etc.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Oh and one more thing- detox! Epsom salt baths, etc.
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canaanbites - I am so sorry you are going through this. The best advice I can give you is the best advice I got -- GET OUT!

It is so hard to see straight when you are living in the mold. Once you are out, it will become easier to figure out how to fix it.

There is no magic bullet.

We left our house on April 16th. We are not able to live in it yet, we are going to try again when we finish encapsulating the cellar. My husband is doing most of the work himself... it has been a lot of hard work.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you sell the house and rent an apartment?

You really will never get the house mold free. If you can smell it upstairs, spores have permeated everywhere. And even dead mold, and dead spores (were you to kill them with, say, ozone blasting the house) causes an immune response, anyway. And the toxins can stick around for years and years (mycotoxins). In addition as someone pointed out you're not immune to flooding.

The best thing is to sell the house with disclosure about the mold, and rent an apartment or house or whatever you can afford--making sure it is mold free before you go in. Otherwise, you'll be wasting $6000 to "improve" the basement, and still will be living in a mold house.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea whether this can help you temporarily, but Orange Guard, which is d'limonene from orange, can clean up mold on surfaces.

Hardware stores and healthfood stores carry it. Put a little in a spray bottle, fill with water and spray on surfaces and then wipe up. It also cleans up stains, spots, etc.

I use it also for tick repellent on clothing and immediate ground area.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for u my friend! <3

--------------------
Psalm 119:50
My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Posts: 292 | From Heaven | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momlyme,

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by encapsulating the cellar? Thanks

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thieves oil comes in a cleaner as well as the essential oil mentioned above that goes in the diffuser.

I would get a quality mask and wear it when entering the basement.

As someone posted above, maybe the professionals you contacted would work with you on a payment plan if they know the situation you're in.

Good luck.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what we are doing to encapsulate the cellar floor and walls:

http://crawlspaceinfo.com/DrySpace_Install_Video.htm

We have a partial dirt floor... which we will never be able to stop the ground water and bacteria/virus/ mold that remain in the dirt.

This is why we dicided to go this route with our cellar. I have researched many waterproofing/water blocking techniques... this is only one of many options for healthier air.

50% of the air in homes comes from the cellar.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canaanbites
Since money is a big issue and if you cannot abandon your home, if it were me I would get an essential oil diffuser, I have this one and also got mine on ebay you can plug it in or use battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Young-Living-Travel-Diffuser-/260894395076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbe848ac4

Here is an example of the thieves oil, you can get cheaper ones but this is the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Young-Living-Essential-Oils-Thieves-15-ml-New-/230699079945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b6bc9909

Add drops of thieves oil, turn it on and refresh it daily with oil and run it for a bout a week all parts of your basement.

I have no association with young living....just think they make the best essential oils.

If you have access to large amts. of colloidal silver, I would spray all the walls with it.....it kills fungi and mold and is non toxic.

I have a couple of CS makers and one was very inexpensive. I make my own colloidal silver.

Remove any carpet, drapes etc and all items from the basement and dispose of them....

Be sure to wear good respirator/mask and old clothing that you can dispose of.

Read up on Thieves Oil, especially good info at the youngliving.com site.

Here is some good info about mold and thieves oil.

http://www.thieves-secret.com/mold.htm

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much to everyone who has responded to this thread. I have spent the past week reading, thinking, and reading some more. I have to address this mold issue NOW and I am in the process of looking into refinancing so that I can afford the remediation costs.

I have some serious set backs though, such as the fact that my soon-to-be ex-husband is the only one on the loan from the LAST time we refinanced...therefore, how am I supposed to refinance? He is not in the home, and I intend to buy him out, but in the meantime....

So today I called my home owner's insurance company and asked them to email me a copy of my coverage. I have what appears to be $20,000 in "biological deterioration" coverage....which, according to what I find online, is MOLD.

I don't want to get too excited, but doesn't it seem like this remediation could be covered? I hesitate to mention it to my agent because from what I understand, they won't be very excited about hearing the word "mold."

Should I call them tomorrow and ask? Is there a certain way to go about this process without messing up any potential coverage?

Thanks again, everyone! CB

Posts: 114 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago when my boys were two and four I left an abusive marriage and moved 3000 miles to California. I left our big house and everything behind. My lawyer told me to move away and start over. We had 6 large suitcases period. I had no car, no job and very little money.

But I did find a job, a cheap car and a small apartment. I remember how it felt to be free and to be starting anew. I was so relieved! It was the best decision I ever made!

My sons have both thanked me for moving them out of there. It is ironic that now they are trying to move me out of my house that is falling to bits. We have had to make countless repairs for leaks and we still think there are mold spores remaining. We did move out for a year and we did feel better. But my husband insisted on returning.

Soooo...I would urge you to be sure you have a good lawyer. Get him/her to review your insurance coverage and advise you on what to say and what not to say. That is most important! Some cities will help with repairs if you are too poor, but get advice before you talk about mold issues.

But if you decide to move out into a rented house or apartment, remember that it is not always a bad thing to be free of the burden of home ownership. (I need to be taking my own advice, I suppose! [Smile] )

I think the mold can affect your overall immune health and it may explain why I have been unable to get well for so many years. I am slowly building up my t cell count, but I admit that living in this house is probably hurting me.

My sons are talking about building us a "granny house". Meanwhile I stay in the cleaner parts of the house and never step inside our wet garage where my husband hoards who knows what.

Another tip: simply bathe and shampoo yourself and kids every evening before bed. It is a great ritual that we still maintain with our grandchildren. It calms everyone down and makes bedtime a peaceful and happy time.

Keep bedding fresh, including pillows. I toss all of it in the washer every now and then. Run hepa air cleaner next to each bed and keep filters changed. Keep bedrooms extra clean and dust free. Teach kids to wash hands properly and frequently.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/01/recovery-from-toxic-mold-exposure.aspx?e_cid=20111101_DNL_art_2

Above is a good article on the subject.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ukcarry,

Thank you SO much for that article. I've got my air purifiers humming away and I just took my probiotics and am online to order more as well as the glutathione I just ran out of. Next, I'm going to drag my juicer out of storage! This is the simplest, most concise article I've read on this subject. I think my issues are primarily candida however but the approach is the same.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome, Tickled1 [nice name!]. I'm glad it spurred you on!
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement