LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy side effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy side effects
loractan
Member # 34618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loractan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After being diagnosed with Lyme...was perscribed ammoxacillin 1000 mg 2x a day. Felt a bit better...but after 16 days was still having lots of symptoms. Am now on Doxycyaline...which gave me major stomach pain. Any suggestions as to how I can minimize this? Lyme disease stinks.
Posts: 4 | From syracuse, NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to LymeNet!

Yes, Lyme disease stinks! You are absolutely right!

I am not a doctor, so be sure to contact one if the problem continues. I can say though that taking doxy on an empty stomach can cause big problems.

Many times docs will recommend taking it with food- meaning immediately AFTER a meal, but be sure to check with your doc for their recommendations.

BUT... the overall recommendations are not to take Doxy with milk or dairy products (they reportedly lessen the absorption).

You might want to consider taking a good probiotic too to help replace the "good bacteria" you are killing off in your gut.

I sometimes recommend American Health- which makes chewable wafers- natural strawberry flavor- so you can get some benefit in your mouth and stomach. This is nice if you do NOT like taking any more pills than you have to.

Along with it you might consider taking the "Pearls" which can be purchased in most drug stores over the counter. The don't open up till they hit the lower intestines, which regular probiotics don't reach.

And they are so so so tiny you don't even know you are swallowing them.

Hope you get feeling better soon!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more quick thought. While on doxy please be careful outside in the sun. Your skin can become very sensitive and you can burn up faster than you can say hot dawgs.

Be sure to read the label and instructions that should have come with your prescription!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it extremely helpful to "bury" the doxy, taking it halfway thru my meal. I was also saved by ginger tea and alka seltzer--regular and/or gold.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, doxy can be hard on the stomach. Lyme doctors tell patients to eat half a meal, take the doxy, and then eat the other half. Hopefully, that will minimize your stomach troubles with doxy.

After you take it for 30 days (time it takes to treat ehrlichia--see p. 25 of Burrascano Guidelines), I recommend you ask to go back on the amoxi, but you need a much higher dose. You also need to take probinecid with it.

Don't expect symptoms to go away within weeks. Expect it to take months.

See the dosage of amoxi in Burrascano, page 18:

"*Amoxicillin- Adults: 1g q8h plus probenecid 500mg q8h; doses up to 6 grams daily are often needed"

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

In English, that translates into 1 gram (1,000 mg) every 8 hours plus probenecid 500 mg every 8 hours; doses up to 6,000 mg daily are often needed.

You will eventually have to add another lyme medication to get rid of the disease, such as flagyl (metronidazole). See page 12 of Burrascano where he talks about how lyme can evade just one antibiotic, so you have to combine antibiotics to clear the infection.

Sounds like your doctor may not be very good at treating lyme disease. I suggest you STUDY the Burrascano Guidelines to see proper dosages and to learn about this disease.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healerdealer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healerdealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your insurance covers Doryx (enteric-coated doxycycline), this is the way to go.

Tabacum30C, homeopathic pellets, are good for nausea and travel sickness.

Healer

http://[email protected]

Posts: 163 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger tea got me through with doxy. Cut up about an inch of fresh ginger, and simmer it in about 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. I had to start my day with this.

My problem was nausea, not pain, but the ginger tea made it bearable. I echo what was said above about eating part of the meal first. And staying aware of the sun is a must! I wore sunblock all the time, including in the car, but still burned my index fingers because I missed a spot. I also burned my nose with SPF 50 on it.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buckwheat
Member # 34709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckwheat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can completely relate to you! I am on week 2 of taking this medication and I thought I was just going to fall over each time after taking it! For the first week or so I was taking 2 tabs 2 times a day. I couldn't do it. I am a teacher and I was spending my prep time vomiting or having to leave class because I was vomiting. It would then take at least 4 hours to get some color back.

NOW I am taking the medication 3 times a day but only 1 tablet at a time. This has helped immensely. I am following the guidelines. I take the pill 2 hours after eating. I cannot wait a minute over the 2 hours. Otherwise, I feel sick. So instead of 800 mg I am taking 600 mg but keeping my level up throughout the day.

I hope you feel better.

Posts: 8 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doryx is way easier to handle.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc has just given me a prescription for liquid Doxy. He says its much better than pills. I believe it is called Vibramycin. Its not cheap but it is better on the stomach and more effective.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement