LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. K's Recipe for Chronic Sinus Infections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. K's Recipe for Chronic Sinus Infections
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fill neti pot with warm filtered water, then add:
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of Xylitol (natural sweetener)

The concept is that the staph eats the sugar (xylitol), then explodes and dies.

Do 3 times per week (I think not on consecutive days.)

I've had some very interesting responses to this treatment. Definitely is doing something.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried this but not with Xylitol, I used proxide..Every time I do my ears get plugged up. I have read if you have ear problems don't use the Neti Pot, but my ear problems come from the sinues, I think..

Any suggestions? I do chew gum with Xylitol ..

Where do you find Xylitol?

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a saline nasal wash called X-Clear that contains xylitol. It can also be very effective for acute sinus issues/infections (though I can't speak to its effectiveness about chronic sinus infections). You can get it on-line or at Whole Foods. A bit pricy, but well worth it.

Interesting about the Xylitol. I had thought that was an ingredient because it made the solution adhere better, but I guess it is therapeutic in its own right.

I don't know if it's the same type of Xylitol, but you can find it at Whole Foods/Whole Body, sold as a sweetener.

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xylitol is a natural replacement for sugar (like Stevia, but different). I bought a big box of packets at Whole Foods.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It works and works well but can dry out your nose a lot if used too much.
Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xlear and Diflucan - my 'chronic sinusitis' has been gone for 7 years now after this combo.

Xylitol is a great sweetener - same consistency as sugar. I've used it in baking, and while the taste is the same, the texture changes. You can buy it in packets or by the pound. I use Emeral Forest brand - health food store or online in bulk. http://store.xylitolusa.com/categories/Xylitol-Sweetener/

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting!! Sinus infections/sinus pain are a major, major problem for me!

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, is the "explosion" painful?

--------------------
Garden

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Garden - I hope this helps you!! I didn't have pain. Just some odd sensations... sometimes rumbling by my left ear (near jaw infection), etc. It's all connected.
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, I too don't have the pain like you said odd sensations, ears ringing, congestion, off balance and just the odd feeling in my head.. I haven't tried Diflucan maybe that is why I have had this for over 3 yrs.. comes and goes.. This last round I have had for a yr..

Tks.

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most chronic sinus infections have a fungal component. I agree the xylitol is a good way to get rid of the bacterial issues in the body, but not sure it does much for the fungal issues...

Personally, my sinuses are a lot improved with a combination of antihistamines (to keep the allergies/swelling down) and a product called FenuThyme (combination of fenugreek and thyme). Fenugreek keeps the mucus thin so it can't get "stuck" in the sinuses, and the thyme kills fungus (and bacteria).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got rid of sinus problems that I had had for decades by using a neti pot wash with these ingredients:

8 oz water
1/2 tsp colloidal silver
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp xylitol
1-2 drops tea tree essential oil

C. silver kills all one-celled microorganisms that it touches.
Salt shrinks the tissues, fights infection and prevents the solution from burning nasal passages.
Tea tree oil (or eucalyptus, oregano or thyme essential oils) are all anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral.
Xylitol is so slippery it prevents microbes from attaching to mucus lining or a cell membrane.

From Rife Handbook by Nenah Sylver, page 570

I think the xylitol is the main ingredient.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Dr Ward Dean at Vitamin Health Products, Xylitol does kill candida, so it may well have an effect on other fungus/yeast:

http://www.vrp.com/dear-doctor/xylitol-and-yeast-candida-3268

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Tried this for the first time today, and I'll try to do it 3x/week.

I'll report back if I notice anything.

--------------------
Garden

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried a neti pot for the first time yesterday: just don't put any make up on first, that's all I can say!

I used the Dr K recipe, but next time may add a drop of one of the many oils I have, such as myrrh, frankincense or lemongrass.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing the mix Tammy posted for about a month now. I started adding a drop of GSE after a couple of weeks.

No pain from either, just gradually getting better... unless I get exposed again and then it is back to square one.

I also have a nasal spray I keep in my purse called Xlear... got it from vitacost. It is good when away from home.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Good to hear, Heather; how many times per week are you neti-ing?
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to hold some of the water up there... and it comes out when it feels like it... so if I have to go out somewhere important, I skip it.

Looking back, I wind up doing it 3-5 times a week. Wish I could do it every day, maybe even a couple of times a day would be good.

I do feel like it is helping.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

I don't think it's a good idea to do too much. The nasal membranes are very delicate. Dr. K said to do it about every other day.

momlyme - When I bend over, it comes pouring out also. So now after I do it, I lean over the sink and turn my head at various different angles until I get it all to drip out.

fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about this stuff, think its any good ?

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/XL011/ItemDetail

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Someone posted above that it may not be a good idea to do the neti pot if you have ear issues. Does anyone know more on this?

I have ear discomfort in and around my jaw infection. I've been trying to battle this thing from many different directions. It is stubborn! I really need to get this thing cleared.

I haven't had ozone treatment/injections in a few weeks, but plan to as soon as I am able. In the meantime I am doing the green light laser on my extraction sites and neighboring teeth, plus the neti pot. (The one extraction site had cavitation surgery, but not sure if it cleared it.) This is tricky business.

marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had sinus problems for years and have used all kinds of neti pots and bottles.

The Neil Med Sinus Rinus bottle is the best, and now by whole family uses it. I find I don't get the water in my ears because you don't have to tilt your head at all. You keep your head up in it's normal position and the water flows in one side and out the other. I can also get it to rinse the larynx and that really helps with sore throats.

It's about $12 at CVS and you can also buy the salt packets for it.

Also CVS makes generic packets of solution that are cheaper.

I think the tea tree oil sounds like a great idea. I mix tea trea oil with a little olive oil on a plate and put in in my ears with a q-tip for external ear infections from swimming. My NP said it is a terrific antifungal and antibiotic.

Just some ideas.
Mary

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

My NP recommended saline nasal rinse with a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract.. Use once daily and more if you have an infection..

When I get real bad the only thing that helps me is a decongestant nasal spray.. Not the decongestant like in Sudafed but the one that starts with an O such as in Dristran..

I have had ear ringing 24/7 for years and feel its sinus related.. If I could ever get my head clear and this problem resolved..

Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cracker Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tammy N.:
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda

I've had some very interesting responses to this treatment. Definitely is doing something.

"LIGHT BULB"
Can this be used as a mouth wash?

--------------------
Let us not become weary in doing good,for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
--
[hi]

Posts: 247 | From HOME | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Can't see why not. And gargle also.

The better brands of toothpaste are using xylitol.

Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cracker Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can't see why not. And gargle also.

The better brands of toothpaste are using xylitol.

what brands?

--------------------
Let us not become weary in doing good,for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
--
[hi]

Posts: 247 | From HOME | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, how are you people putting grapefruit seed extract or colloidal silver up your nose without it burning? I tried both of these at separate times, a drop of either mixed with sea salt and warm water. Omg..it burned!
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

quote:
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda

Picked up Xylitol tonight at the vitamin shoppe 20 bucks for 2lbs ouch.. Can I use table salt instead of sea salt?

--------------------
--
[hi]

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

No, definitely sea salt.

I don't remember my xylitol being that expensive. I bought packets from Whole Foods. I like the convenience that each packet equals 1 tsp. Then again you got 2 lbs. That's a lot. In the end, I bet it was cheaper to go the way you went.

Good luck!

Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to wait until tomorrow when I can pick some sea salt up..

I could of done better than the 20 I spent, but I didn't want to run around shopping prices at my lunch today. And 2 lbs will go a long way with some tea in the mornings..

--------------------
--
[hi]

Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

BTW, how much water?

lymenotlite's says 8oz, I would of used that one but 8oz seems like a pool to me..

--------------------
--
[hi]

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

My neti pot looks to be about 8 oz.
momlyme
Member # 27775

I get the xylitol from vitacost. Less than $15.00 for 3 pounds - for when you re-order... or for someone else that can wait for it to be shipped to them!

As long as you order over $50, shipping is free. I usually don't have a problem finding $50 of supplements I need!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Cracker jack, I use PerioWash and PerioBrite - both contain xylitol.

AMK33 - I accidentally used too much essential oil this other day (combo of tea tree and myrrh), and it burned me, too!

I find that 1-2 drops of each are fine, BUT in 8 oz of water, with the sea salt (saline won't burn as much as regular water).

--------------------
Garden

Cracker Jack
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34734

quote:
Originally posted by momlyme:
I get the xylitol from vitacost. Less than $15.00 for 3 pounds - for when you re-order... or for someone else that can wait for it to be shipped to them!

As long as you order over $50, shipping is free. I usually don't have a problem finding $50 of supplements I need!

15 bucks is a great deal.

Thanks

--------------------
--
[hi]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement