LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Radiant heat for flooring. Think this would be "Earthing"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Radiant heat for flooring. Think this would be "Earthing"?
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think?

We need to take up carpet in family room. This part of house is on a slab. Wanted to install heated stone tile floor. I was wondering if it would mean more EMFs? Or, since it's grounded, maybe it would be good, like grounding to the earth. (This is what I'm thinking.) Thoughts?

I am dealing with metals, mold, parasites... the whole shabang, and want to make a good decision.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your EMF conscious doctor. I have a hunch you will get a resonating no-no.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concrete is only so-so for the earthing benefits in my experience. Not as good as touching the actual earth but still works.

Not to mention if I'm not mistaken it still won't do anything for the magnetic... only the electrical properties in EMF (Electro Magnetic Field).

How bad it would be I don't know.

Just some thoughts...

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never heard of heated tile, but if you're using electricity to do it, it'll have to mean more emf's
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what other options would be good on a concrete slab. Will be cold in the winter. And the thought of wood on some sort of moisture barrier sitting on a concrete slab doesn't sound good to me. I feel like it's asking for trouble.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is cork mold-resistant? I was at an eco-hardward store the other day, and I overheard a saleswoman talking up cork flooring.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Non-heated tiles, with small rugs (that can be picked up and cleaned) where you want it warmer than straight tile?
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susieq2
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susieq2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be easy to check the emf coming off of one of the radiant heat mats prior to buying.

EMF meters are cheap on amazon.com. Just read the instructions carefully. We didn't realize that you're supposed to turn the thing in all directions and take the highest reading.

Here's the one I have (it has gone up in price).
http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Fully-Digital-Meter-Resolution/dp/B0015ENO6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321678198&sr=8-2

Speaking of high EMF, I tested my sonicare toothbrush and the EMF at the brush head is over 100!

Posts: 59 | From Seattle WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, I have in floor heating but it's hot water circulating under wood and tile floors.

My house has been tested from top to bottom for EMFs and the only time much of anything shows up is when we turn on the wireless. That goes down by opening a window.

I don't know how they do it with concrete floors. If it is wiring running under the tiles, might not be so good. Someone will know.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only just started looking into some similar issues. We will probably be pulling up some carpet in the basement, sealing the concrete and then putting down some kind of synthetic flooring.

While I'm no electrical engineer, you've got two issues here: Grounding or EMF exposure. With wires running underneath you with power, I would say it's EMF exposure, not grounding. Hence, not good.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Thanks for sharing thoughts, friends. If any new ideas, please keep them coming.

I realize there is no perfect solution, so I am trying to pick the lesser of the evils. I am convinced wood would not be smart on concrete (and twice we had a little water come in over the years, but we lifted the carpet and dried it immediately.... wood wouldn't give us that option.) I can't stand chemicals so pergo and linoleum are out (plus I don't like how they look). Area rugs also off-gas (plus will only make it a little less freezing under our feet in winter). Not heating the floor really would be terrible in the winter. We live in this room.

So I'm thinking.... We can have it run during the day when we are up and need warmth. Turn it off at night (as we will with most of our electric; we are meeting with electrician to re-wire the box. We're going to turn off everything at night except heat, hot water and refrigerator.)

Plus, I will only really be heating this floor in the cooler month. It won't be on at all during spring and summer.

I'm still open to ideas. Thanks for your help:)

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to disconnect it, not just turn it off. Unless you are turning it off at the breaker box.

Aren't there mold resistant carpet pads or am I dreaming?

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

I'm sure there are mold resistant carpet pads, but I have a BIG issue with chemicals. Knocks me out. I'm best in a chemical free environment.

Thanks for the suggestion on the shut off. Will plan to do at the breaker box at night. The electrician is going to think I'm [loco]

momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about cork flooring? I looked into this when we were looking for mold resistant flooring.

Cork is antimicrobial and is resistant to mold and mildew.

Also, Bamboo is a mold resistant.

We decided to refinish our existing wood floors and use a VOC -free poly.

http://www.vermontnaturalcoatings.com/our-products/polywhey-natural-floor-finish/

Hope you find something that works for you!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pilates studio I used to work at had cork flooring. It was square tiles of cork. It did not hold up well and warped.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know, six! I was looking at the tiles, too!
[Eek!]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

http://www.wehliving.org/

Vicky Warren is the founder of this non-profit that is dedicated to educating individuals how to improve the quality of their indoor environments.

She was a speaker at Dr. K.'s seminar in 2009 which I attended on "Lyme Disease and Other Chronic Infections as the Underlying Cause of Chronic Illness". You can contact her at [email protected]. Hope she can give you some sound advice.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have radiant heat flooring and I love it!

Like NanaDubo said, it is just hot water running through tubing under the flooring...not electricity.

Love the feel of heated floors on my feet in the winter!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

I had my heart set on heated stone tile floor, but was always concerned of the EMF idea.

After momlyme's post, just today I said to myself "I am going to look into cork".

Now after Six's post, doesn't sound like it would be a good option (I do appreciate you sharing this). We need something sturdy and lasting.

Ugh.

The water tubing option will not work for us. It's a large family room with a vaulted ceiling in the main section, with an adjacent area that we initially come down the stairs from that has a rather low ceiling (in this smaller area, it's maybe 7'). So raising the floor is not really an option.

Back at square one. Any ideas? I am open.

Another part of me says that maybe the EMFs will not be terrible. It won't be used year round. We don't have a lot of appliances and TVs, no wireless computers or cable, no mircrowave, etc. All clocks will be battery operated. We are reducing EMFs as much as possible. I think of so many people that work in an office all week long with EMFs everywhere. I work 3 days per week where we do have a computer and microwave. But overall, I think my exposure is fairly low (but who knows??). Also, I don't notice feeling any differently when I'm in an EMF environment as opposed to when I'm not. [I'm not undermining the importance of avoidance at all, I'm just talking out loud, just trying to weigh out what will work for us.]

Please keep suggestions coming. Thanks.

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Gigi - Thank you:) I will contact her.
ChuckG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
web page

� Heating elements are manufactured with a braided twin-wire design and shielded to reduce electromagnetic fields (EMF) to ultra-low levels.

� The industry's first twin-wire construction means ultra-low EMF.
� 120-VAC and 240-VAC models available for small residential to large commercial applications.
� The industry's only shielded and fully grounded 10-ft. power lead provides safety and jobsite durability (longer lengths available on request). Power leads are color-coded for 120 VAC or 240 VAC.

Posts: 426 | From Berkeley, CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Thanks Chuck. Will look into this. I've heard Nuheat is the best brand for radiant heating. I will check to see if they have a low EMF option also. Thanks.
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Socks?

What continent do you live in, and are you sure regular ceramic tiles would be too cold?

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Michael, you are so funny. Living in the sunny land, you probably forgot how cold it can be up here in the northeast.

Our laundry room floor is tiled and it is COLD COLD. That would feel miserable in our beautiful family room.

GiGi
Member # 259

Please note that even if there is no obvious EMF, the exposure from general wiring penetrates even thick walls. And most walls in this country are not thick, but wrapped in plastic, nor is the wiring protected with copper tubing as it is in many other countries. Iran and Mexico have more stringent building codes than we do.

I just heard from my good Klinghardt therapist friend in the Black Forest where a group of them gathered (100plus) for a week to learn the newest from Dr. K. A group of six stayed together in a guesthouse there and Dr. K. shared the house with them. I was told - no late night reading or reviewing because Dr. K. pulled the fuses to keep the people relaxed and rested and "unwired".

Don't kid yourself - if you are sick - EMF is a much bigger problem than we think.

He is convinced of that: some 13 years ago when I was very ill, he gave me the task to take water bottles posted all around our bed to pick up the frequencies. I succussed them 100 times, marked the location and took them to the office. He determined from that the direction of the underground water vein as it crossed underneath our bed. The line ran straight through my husband's head. He came to our house and moved the kingsize bed to a position where this was no longer the case.

Neurological symptoms go hand in hand with geopathic stress and emf exposures. He has become even more determined that this can either kill or get one well.

He had a patient in Germany, lady who had a brain tumor. He asked her to locate her bed into another room of the house. The tumor cleared. She finally then became pregnant. She used her former bedroom for the child's room. It died within two years of a brain tumor.

Take care.

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

I grew up in Buffalo, was back there for a week, just came back this morning. I am reminded from winter visits many years of how cold it can be there. The house I have stayed in does not have tile, but does have a concrete basement. Perhaps that would be similar to tile flooring. I know barefoot on there feels cold sometimes, but with socks I don't remember it being that bad.

Actually, these days, for the last couple years, I walk around the house in flip flops with a thick heel. I have a leg length difference, and so one heel is cut shorter to even off the difference. I was so used to barefoot walking, it was an adjustment, but got used to it. I take them off when sitting down. I remember my mom suggesting the tile flooring we put in would be cold in the winter. This will be our first winter with the tile, so we'll see, haven't been through it yet. But, as I told her, it may affect my wife, but I don't think me so much, as I'm using the flip flops all the time anyway.

Anyway, I truly have no experience on the tile floors in the northeast, but just wanted you to consider some footwear as a possibility, such as socks or whatever. I'm glad you have a laundry room with tile, so at least you can make the decision regarding how that would work in your living room with some good knowledge about what it is really like.

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Ok, we're switching gears....

We found a really nice wood floating floor that can be placed on a slab.

No EMFs for us!!!! [woohoo]

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy,

I did not find floor heat to be very effective at warming a room, unless the room has low ceilings. The 4 place I lived or worked in that had that type of heat still needed another heat source.

EMF will not be reduce much, if at all, just by using concrete and or wood floors. There needs to be at least a foot of earth to really knock the EMFs down, and at the point the heat doesn't get through.

you need to either get the kind which is hot water running under teh floor, or you need to make sure the wiring has been specifically desinged to reduce emfs

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Oh good, Tammy! I am glad you are going with the wood and not the tile! [Big Grin]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Hi Amanda - we won't be using be using the radiant heating at all. It would have been needed with the tile. But the wood floor won't feel nearly as cold to the touch, so we aren't going to try to heat the floor. And we already have a regular heat source for the room, so I think we'll be good. And, eventually, I may get a nice area rug.

Thanks momlyme:)

jackie51
Member # 14233

Is this going on concrete slab or on wood subflooring? I ask because if it's slab, you might want to consider engineered flooring. Most manufacturers don't recommend wood on concrete. Go to costco.com and review their info.
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Hi jackie, yes thanks.... It is an engineered wood floor (with real wood on the op layer). And underneath will be a moisture barrier.

Thanks for pointing that out in case I wasn't aware.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement