LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Super Stiff Spine-Neck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super Stiff Spine-Neck
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last week I've really had unbearable tightness if my back and neck. I've taken no Abx for 4-5 months except for a short course of Augmentin XR. I feel like crap all the time anyways, but the last week it feels like my spine if just being squeezed with pressure.

My shoulder blades / trapezius muscles are so tight that my wife couldn't even touch them when trying a weak massage.

I have tried so hard to stretch the muscles, but get zero relief. I didn't fall or have any injuries lately. It just feels like the muscles are getting tighter. I tried some magnesium, but no avail.

I'm going to be forced to re-start Baclofen again. [Frown] I FINALLY got myself off it 8-9 months ago after being on it for a couple of years. I thought maybe stomach pressure was causing the tightness, but don't think so. My neck has REALLY been hurting some days too. It hurts right at the base of the skull in the back when I turn it left/right. No fevers right now. No sweats. Forearms are terribly stiff too.

Two years ago I went through an Arnold Chiari Malformation evaluation by a top neurosugeon. He said nope...not my issue. Another here has strongly suggested I may have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as the cause of all my problems. SO many possibilities..so frustrating. [Frown]

Does this scream 'classic' anything to all of you? It's a HORRIBLE feeling to feel squished like that and have no mobility. I'm very worried. [Frown]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JessJoy
Member # 33443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JessJoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the Lyme just goes straight to your neck and shoulders. At least that's what I noticed.

I had excruciating pain in my neck 2 weeks ago for the first time. I never presented like this. My MIL massaged my neck and back for an hour and it really helped. Last night I had a flair up and I massaged my own neck as vigorously as I could and it actually worked.

According to the herbal cure for Lyme boo, weekly massage is recommended. Is there a Massage Envy near you? A place where you get debited a monthly amount but you can get cheaper massages....?

Posts: 42 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/\
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have what you describe mostly in upper back and neck....add migraines coming and going and we're together on this one.

I went to my pain management MD in agony hoping for some new idea. He immediately palpated my back and neck, then offered trigger point injections to force the muscle spasms to break....He also prescribed Baclofen to keep spasms from returning.

It has changed my life tremendously for the better...just four little injections in spasmed muscles and a few pills and my life is livable again. I already use Butrans patches for chronic pain, so the pain is not something new...just the degree and nature of it changed rapidly.

Hope this is of some help

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since going back on antibiotics, my neck and back of skull is sore, neck snapping. Mine isn't tightness, more soreness. It has to be Lyme/cos, just started when I restarted antibiotics. Icy hot and bed buddy sock help a little or me, plus Advil. Feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have horrendous neck pain, it is always from Babesiosis.

One thing that helps me is called a bed buddy. It looks like a long white sock and it has a round handle on each end. It is filled with rice or something. You heat it in the microwave and wrap it around your neck. You can get it at Walgreens or CVS for about eleven dollars.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have pronounced neck and shoulder ache or pain for the first years of Lyme, but have had it a lot over the last 9 years, sometimes a dull, stiff ache, sometimes an intense pain like a sports injury, sometimes with headache.

My neck and shoulders have been bad over the past few days and today has been particularly uncomfortable, so finally, this afternoon, I mixed up a few drops of rosemary essential oil into a carrier oil and massaged the neck and shoulders as well as I could.

Although it hasn't totally taken away the pain, it has significantly reduced it.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree that it's babesia. I get this mildly when my babesia is flaring (which is mild too these days). I don't seem to get any Bartonella any more and certainly no more Borrelia.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doyleblueeye
Member # 32399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doyleblueeye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's weird seeing some else describe your own symptoms so closely, seekhelp. I have a lot of the same problems: pains in my arms and awful neck/shoulder pain. My brother would always come up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders and I would immediately yell at him to stop because it hurt. My neck pain would turn into migraines, though, like breathwork said.

I'd my neck pain was from a fall I took about 5 years ago even though the doctors said I was fine. I never actually got full relief from the pain, even using prescriptions and chiropractors, until I started Zith and Malarone about two months. It felt great! Once I started taking those, I noticed that over the counter stuff could combat the little flare ups. Exedrin Migraine's and Flex Creme been helping me.

It kind of sucks to have to go back on meds, I myself had been off them for about eight years. What I didn't realize is that babs is the mostly likely reason why.

Posts: 23 | From Morristown, NJ | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noodlydoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noodlydoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a million things. I wouldn't know where to begin. However, if I was a betting man, and forced to make one guess......allergies. It sounds to me like you have been on antibiotics for some time. My best guess is that you may have developed allergies, most likely to foods, and that in turn is causing you pain. But honesty, it could be so many things. A dart and a million reasons hanging on the back of a door is likely to be as accurate as any answer you'll find here.
Posts: 261 | From Washington | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like babs to me (I had the same problem). Felt like the back of my neck at the base of my head was in a vice. The pressure was so intense, it radiated up my head and also around my upper back area. My chiro couldn't believe how bad it was. Acupuncture helped a little.

Are you treating for something other than babs right now? Maybe babs is showing it's ugly head because of that. Mine was from babs. I think that sock buddy sounds like a good idea. Hang in there. Maybe it's die off.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold can make you totally stiff - then later you cannot even stretch your spine.
Also parasites can do this by placing their eggs
in this area.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement