LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Haven't been here in long time..have a ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Haven't been here in long time..have a ?
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, I haven't been here in quite a long time. Still recognize some of you. Hope all the new people since I have left have found all the comfort and support that I did.

I have been off antibiotics for several years. Feel pretty good. Once in awhile I have a bump in the road but nothing compared to how life used to be.

I had a not so pleasant surprise 2 weeks ago. I was getting into the shower and felt a sting on my hip. Looked down and it was an attached tick. I think my heart actually stopped for a second. It wasn't fully engorged but it had some blood in it.

Called my LLMD and made sure I had the correct med and dosages down. Went to family doc and got Doxy 100mg TID for 4-6 weeks. No questions asked so apparently all my speaking in my local area has rubbed off a little.

Here is my problem. I am dealing with the nausea cuz I am used to that from previous treatments. Right now though the abx is making me feel like my face and extremities are burning. Haven't been in the sun at all.

My second problem is my family and I are taking our dream vacation to Aruba. We leave this Saturday. Aruba and Doxy aren't going to mix well. I don't have any rash or symptoms...although I know that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Anyone have any advice on what I can take while on vacation and then possibly switch back to the Doxy when I get back?

I don't want to take any chances with this but I don't want to ruin my families vacation either.

Also, anyone experience the sunburn sensation without being in the sun?

Thanks for your help. Hope everyone is feeling well tonight.

Thanks kitkat...by the way I need to change my name from kitkat32 to kitkat37...I have aged...lol.

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI there, kitkat!! [hi]

Sorry to hear that were bitten again.. that is awful, but at least you knew what to do. I would encourage you to get enough doxy for 200mg twice a day when you get back!

Nausea.. make sure to take the doxy in the MIDDLE of a meal.. and plenty of food. NO lying down for an hour.

You can get burned just by driving to the store in your car. Cover up as much as you can. Not sure sunscreen will help, but try it.

You can take amoxy while gone. I don't know what the dosage would be.. but it will be way higher than doxy.

hahaa on the 37!! Glad you made it to 37!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymetoo,

Your one of the name I recognized immediately. Hope life is treating you well.

I will see if I can get some Amoxy for the trip. I will have to see if I can research the dose. If anyone can remember the correct dose I would appreciate it.

I am just praying so hard that I will have no problems since I caught it so early. I took my first Doxy within an hour of removing the tick.

All those years and years of doctors visits and PICC lines, abx....I dont want to start all over again.

Thank again!

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kitkat,

Glad you jumped on treating the bite. Enjoy your vacation!

I do not know the amoxy dose, but just wanted to share that a family member of mine was rebitten as well about two months ago, after having chronic lyme (and believed cured) about 20 years ago. She took six weeks of the right dose of doxy starting about a week after the bite (she hadn't realized she was bitten at first) and now she is feeling just fine! Try not to worry!

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read on http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/matthewgoss/drugs.html (posted by someone else on another thread) that the amoxy dose is 1500-4000 mg, though it does not distinguish between acute and chronic infection.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take 1500 mg every 8 hours with probenecid 500 mg every 8 hours.

From Burrascano:

"*Amoxicillin- Adults: 1g q8h plus probenecid 500mg q8h; doses up to 6 grams daily are
often needed" (page 18)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thank you all for your encouragement and help with the correct dose. I am glad to hear someone else was in the same situation and is doing fine.

I was sick from 1996 until 2009. It was a long, painful journey and I do not want to go down that road again.

Thanks again, kit

tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in a similar situation (meaning I was traveling to a sunny destination) when I was re-infected. At the time, I was treating Babs with Malarone and Zith. My LLMD didn't want to prescribe the Doxy due to the sun and ended up adding Omnicef to my mix.

I don't know if that would be a good substitution or not since I was STILL in treatment and it's hard to know. I did get the bulls eye rash with the re-infection vs the first time around that I went five years not knowing what was going wrong.

In any case, I hear a lot of Amoxicillin and I know my first LLMD put me on that as my very first medication and it wasn't even summer. I never questioned it. I have been on Doxy both pill and IV at various times.

In any case, I hate to see you back here for this reason but glad you found the tick EARLY and are pro active.

Have a wonderful time in Aruba. If you are looking for a romantic dinner at sunset on the water I recommend both Passions and Flying Fishbone. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thanks again,

I got my Amoxicillin today. I didn't think my doc would prescribe such a high dose. So I told them I needed it for 2 weeks. Gonna take the larger dose for the one week I am gone and use it all up. Then back to the doxy.

Still feeling nervous about the whole situation but not going to dwell on it.

Funny thing is, one of the reasons we are taking this trip is to renew our wedding vows. We had so many ups and downs through my treatment and we finally felt it was safe to celebrate.

Oh well, just gotta tell myself I am doing what I can do.

kit

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great, kitkat!! Good job!!

Maybe the tick carried NO diseases!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo is right...not every tick is infected.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline is not as bad in the sun

and 100 mg twice a day will do.

you can still burn so be careful

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take doxy or mino as well with you just in case you have trouble tolerating the amoxy.

It is always good to have an alternative if you are in a foreign country and in the worst case you just avoid the sun.
I personally can be in the sun with doxy.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Good thinking. I will take my Doxy with me. God forbid I start to have any symptoms I will be more comfortable taking the Doxy.

I know it causes me to burn. I went for a walk the other day and that evening my face was burning and tingling. Not red, just felt like it was on fire.

Your right, not all ticks carry diseases and I hope this one didn't. I always think the worst case scenario. Better safe than sorry...been there and done that.

kit

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitkat how did you get another tick bite? Were you walking in the grass? Maybe stepped on some leaves?

Do you walk a dog consistantly?

I am just curious and am keeping a mental journal on some of the transmissions out there. We recently had to clean up all the fallen branches and trees after the last storm and we used plenty of tick spray. Practically showered in it.

Based upon my research the situation with the ticks is worst than anyone would care to imagine. I have some shocking stories.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

I have no idea where I got the tick from. They are so bad this year. I do have a small dog so she probably brought it in the house.

Seems everyone I talk to in my town has had or knows someone who had a tick bite.

We have had frost and snow already so I am surprised I got one.

I always cover myself in spray outside. Also my dog is treated all year long and checked daily.

Apparently the dogs medicine is working well cuz it attached to me instead of her.

LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD puts me on mino when I go on vacation in the sun.....FYI

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am finding out the same thing. �Albeit few, some have gotten bit even in the dead of winter.

Certain tick species have a 2 yr life cycle. �If they are able to survive the winter for their two year period, then it makes sense they can survive in cold climates and can withstand colder temperatures.

The tick most likely is in a burrow with a small animal, keeping relatively warmer. �When it feeds on the animal and the animal goes outside, if it is too cold they will attempt to hide between the folds of the animals skin. �Otherwise they simply drop off. �

They will also drop off randomly during the winter warmer weather.
After hearing these types of stories, I can no longer take comfort in the heavan of fall and to a degree winter.

I tell that to pet owners all the time. �Warning them about ticks from pets. �They state, but my cat or dog, has this or that collar or powder. �My point exactly, ticks will hitch a ride with your pet to your house and potentially make a meal out of any member of the family.

I second the suggestion to increase your dosage. I am taking 400mg a day with very little impact. Dr. States that doses of 600MG may be needed for some.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone mentioned Biaxin - that was what was given in the summer to those of us on Doxy; my daughter does burn on Mino, by the way.
Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement