LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chronic lyme disease???? high risk for insurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic lyme disease???? high risk for insurance
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chronic lyme disease is on the list of
uninsurable diseases in North Carolina.
I was told by 2 pharmacists and 2 vets one in Mountains and one in Southport, both said North Carolina does not have Lyme.
So how come it is one the list with an insurance company that only takes high risk patients, and
Chronic lyme is on the list next to heart attacks.
I thought chronic lyme doesn't exist?????????
[loco] [bonk]

[ 11-30-2011, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: stymielymie ]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to this lyme thing but why no lawsuits? Is the IDSA that powerful? From what I know, it's the same in Ohio. Pretty cut and dry it seems. I really hope this whole thing reaches critical mass. Even my LLMD says it's too big of a fight. They aren't GOD for Christ's sake.
Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep.. about 7yrs ago I was denied long term care because of Lyme.

--

outerspace.. have you seen these?

Lyme controversy
http://www.kettmann.com/Lyme/Save/

Then, click on "Here"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPRWiukp_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yk0C-uX9cU

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme only exists where they tell us there are ticks.

I got bit in Alaska

but there are no ticks in Alaska

therefore, I can't have Lyme.

That is why chronic lyme does not exist. If you can't have Lyme, how can you have it chronic?

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease is spreading faster than Aids.

Part of the problem is that most people don't even know they have it. So many people around me have it and don't even realize it. Whenever I've tried explaining it to them, they don't want to believe it. Face it, no one wants to join this club.

For some people, lyme can lay dormant for 10 or 15 years. All it takes is an accident or stress and, poof, it comes out.

Watch "Under Our Skin". I think you can get it from Hulu for free (or amazon has it).

Also, the book: "Cure Unknown" explains a lot. Really good book!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cargirl i have had lyme disease for 20 years and have been on this site for at least 10
this was just to make a point.
i am in recession for 7 years and do not show up here much.
i am the infamous docdave, and yes i am a dr.

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Heigh-HO, there Mattie Doc Dave!

Thanks for that detail. It's sad but important to know these things.

Though it was just a basic policy through my bank, a few years ago

my life insurance was revoked because of lyme, babesia, or porphyria (as a liver condition).

They would not say which but since I was still in the 2-year window after application, they canceled my policy and sent me back my payments.

My mistake was having called them for a basic question about coverage and then they took a stronger look.

They said that, although I was upfront in the application and phone interview, their staff person should have never approved me.

Since it was not intent to defraud, had I slid past for 2 years, they would not have been able to cancel for their oversight.

Each policy is different, of course, regarding all this.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheelWatcher
Member # 34223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WheelWatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked at the list of uninsurable diseases in nc. Crazy that "chronic lyme" is listed but not regular old "lyme disease". Maybe because since they say there is no "lyme disease" in nc, and no doctors want to treat for it even early, those patients are all getting chronic lyme!

--------------------
IgM ++41, IND 31, 34, 39, 83-93
IgG IND 41

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." - unknown

Posts: 72 | From NC | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheelWatcher
Member # 34223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WheelWatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW a side note, although it is not on that list we were referencing, insurance companies in NC have used domestic violence as a "pre-existing condition" to justify not paying for services for women & kids who were injured by domestic abuse.

The things insurance companies do to make those millions of dollars are quite sickening...........

--------------------
IgM ++41, IND 31, 34, 39, 83-93
IgG IND 41

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." - unknown

Posts: 72 | From NC | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu, you said you were denied long term care 7 years ago.....just curious whether you were able to come up with anything since then as this is something I need to work on as well.
Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. I didn't think it would do any good. This was a group plan and they are the easiest to get coverage with.

Couldn't afford the payments anyway. Sigh.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Presumptive Medical Condition List

Effective October 1st, the Presumptive Medical Condition List for automatic acceptance will be expanded for the IH - Federal Option. To streamline the eligibility process, Inclusive Health has added several conditions which will make qualifying for the Federal Option easier for the individual. The applicant must submit a letter from a medical provider to verify the diagnosis.

Please remember that qualifying with one of the Presumptive Medical conditions is only ONE of the ways that the individual may qualify for the Inclusive Health Federal Option, you can also qualify with a denial for a pre-existing condition or a policy with a conditional rider.

Abnormal heart rhythm or palpitations
Abnormal lipids including high cholesterol or triglycerides treated with medications
ADD or ADHD treated with medication
AIDS/HIV
Alcohol, drug or substance abuse or dependency
Allergist visit or immuno therapy injection within last 12 months
Alzheimer's Disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig�s Disease)
Aneurysm
Angina Pectoris
Angioplasty
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Anorexia or Bulimia
Anxiety/stress/panic disorder
Aplastic Anemia
Arteriosclerosis
Arthritis, such as inflammatory arthritis
Asthma treatment or medication within last 24 months
Bipolar disorders
Brain damage
Breast biopsies more than 2 in 5 years
Cancer (except skin) treated or diagnosed in past 5 years
Cardiac bypass surgery
Cardiomyopathy
Cataracts or glaucoma
Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral shunt placement
Chiropractic or physical therapy treatment more than 5 times in last yr
Chronic bronchitis
Chronic fatigue
Chronic hepatitis B, C or D
Chronic kidney disease
Chronic lyme disease
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Chronic Pancreatitis
Cirrhosis of the Liver
Cochlear implant
Colitis, Crohn's, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, familial polyposis
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
Connective tissue disorder
Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary Insufficiency
Cystic Fibrosis
Deep venous thrombosis (DVT)
Dementia
Depression
Diabetes � Type I or Type II
Disc disorder treatment including surgery or injection therapy in last year
Diverticulitis
Down's syndrome
Emphysema
Endometriosis, uterine fibroids
Epilepsy, or seizure disorder
Epstein Barr
End stage renal disease ESRD)
Fibromyalgia
Friedreich�s Ataxia
Gall bladder disease with gall stones but without removal of gall bladder
Gastric bypass or gastric restrictive procedures like lap band
Gastro esophegeal reflux disorder treated with medication or surgery
Heart valve replacement
Hemochromatosis
Hemophilia
Hodgkin�s Disease
Huntington�s Chorea
Hydrocephalus
Hypertension
Interstitial lung disease
Kidney disease being treated with medications such as Procrit, or Epogen
Kidney Disease requiring dialysis
Kidney or bladder stones
Knee, hip or joint replacement recommended or existing
Leukemia
Lupus Erythematosus Disseminate
Major Organ Transplant
Malignant Lymphoma
Melanoma
Migraines or chronic headaches treated with medication
Mitral valve prolapse
Motor/ Sensory Aphasia
Multiple or Disseminated Sclerosis
Muscular Dystrophy
Myasthenia Gravis
Myocardial Infarction (heart attack)
Myotonia
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Open Heart Surgery
Organ transplant
Osteoarthritis
Osteoporosis
Other immune deficiency disorders
Pacemaker
Paget�s Disease
Paralysis
Paraplegia or Quadriplegia
Parkinson�s Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD)
Permanent colostomy/ileostomy
Polio
Polyarteritis (periarteritis nodosa)
Polycystic kidney disease
Primary Cardiomyopathy
Progressive Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma)
Prostate disorders, including enlarged prostate, benign prostatic hypertrophy or elevated PSA
Psoriasis moderate or severe
Psoriatic Arthritis
Psychotic Disorder
Pulmonary hypertension
Raynaud�s Disease
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Schizophrenia
Sexually Transmitted Disease including chlamydia, genital warts, gonorrhea, syphilis or Human Papilloma Virus
Sickle Cell
Sleep apnea
Spinal fusion
Stroke(CVA)
Suicide Attempt
Syringomyelia
Tetralogy of Fallot
Thalassemia major
Tobacco use within last 12 months
Transient ischemic attack
Valvular heart disease
Von willebrand's
Wilson�s Disease

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement