LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does it or does it not make neurotoxins?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does it or does it not make neurotoxins?
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.owndoc.com/lyme/lyme-neurotoxin-detoxing-nonsense/

Now I'm so confused!?

quote:
As to those elusive �fat soluble Lyme toxins� , I can�t put it more consise than this mother of a son with chronic Neuroborreliosis:

Fascinating��.but for the fact that B. burgdorferi does not produce any toxins.

No neurotoxins. No cytotoxins. No hemolysins. No enterotoxins. No endotoxins. No exotoxins. No exfoliative toxins.

No classical bacterial toxin. Period.

The closest anyone has come to seeing any toxin activity with B. burgdorferi was some test tube

hemolysis back in 1992. And that turned out to be wrong as two guys at Wesleyan showed in 2000 (J Bacteriol. 2000 Dec;182(23):6791-7).

But why believe an online stranger. Ask Burrascano or Shoemaker. Ask them a couple of very fundamental questions such as�.

What�s the molecular weight of this toxin?

Is it plasmid-encoded?

If it�s plasmid-encoded do all strains carry this plasmid and produce a toxin?

Is it a protein or a glycoprotein?

What�s its receptor?

Is it released or membrane-bound?

Has anyone produced commercial antibody to it?

Has it been sequenced (like the burgdorferi genome) and can I look it up in GenBank?

If it plays a role in pathogenesis, why hasn�t it been attenuated for use as a vaccine candidate?

And finally, �Are you an idiot or just a liar?�

Please let us know how either one of them responses to this last important question.

--------------------
Never doubt in darkness what the daylight proves to you.

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to take someone serious who in one fell swoop pawns "neurotoxic lack of evidence" off as quackery and in the next paragraph makes her own lackluster statement...

"and �toxin binders� such as Cholestyramine (Questran) have never proven their value in any randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, peer-reviewed, reproducible trial but they do have very serious potential side effects, including cancer."

Not to mention she herself sells
Micro-needlers (and we're the quacks? Look at this used-car-salesman of an advertisement)
http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/

Or how about this gem from her... (in her rant about Dr S)

"He (Dr S of FL) minimizes the neurological effects of Neuroborreliosis and blames them on Bartonella � a relatively minor infection with mild symptoms that usually resolve without treatment � instead."

Lyme Literate Doctors go through SO much to help us and often times risk their lives, families, jobs, and own health in the process. Not to mention most of them have Lyme themselves.

I can't stand reading pieces like this. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion or questioning medical literature... but attacking Burrascano, Dr S, & Dr S of MD is comical.
Give me a call when you help save the lives of 100s if not 1000s of patients.

Even going after Connie and Rosner is silly too. No one puts a gun to your head to spend money on their books or eBooks.

It's a complex disease with, to date, very little research money. We're pretty much on our own here.

For the record Dr S doesn't charge 575 dollars for a 20 minute phone consult LOL
Where do people come up with this sh!t?

This mock journalism piece from DermaRollWoman is like something you'd see in the NY Times.

*removed dr name*

[ 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your thoughts...

I tried to get through the discussion that was linked to where this quote came from. I'm back on information overload and don't get it...

I am looking into using the PK protocol, and would love to know what the truth behind both sides is.

--------------------
Never doubt in darkness what the daylight proves to you.

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement