LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » magnesium sulfate injections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: magnesium sulfate injections
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ! what does anybody know about Mag.injections??/////cautions, helps etc.
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Caution: This will sting and burn by itself. When I did this it was just horrible because the prescribing doctor failed to tell me to add

B-12 to the syringe. That reduced the burn very well.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your doctor's advice is best followed for how often for shots. Sometimes, 2 x a week is enough.

I had to do daily for a couple of months.

I would take the combo B-12 & magnesium shots during the day.

I also need to let you know that since the magnesium shots require a long needle to go into the muscle, that shooting my thighs each day for a few months caused some real problems for the deep tissue and maybe nerves.

The "shot line" is just from the center (as a front crease of slacks) to where the outer side seam would be. And, you can't go too high or too close to the knee. So the target space, even with two thighs, is not all that much to be a pin cushion very often.

If you know someone who can give you the shot in your back hip, that can help but be very careful as I've even had some nurses hit a major nerve there.

Magnesium during the day will not make you sleepy. You can take a bit of oral magnesium before bed if you want some extra help though.

If just taking orally, magnesium needs to be at least twice, best three times a day.

Ask your doctor how often you need the shots. On other days, then, 2-3 x for oral.

-----------------

Search Google for:

"Foods high in magnesium" & also for "Magnesium Rich Foods"
-

[ 12-11-2011, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium sulfate is not for me.... because I have issues with Sulphur. Same thing goes for Epsom Salts baths (which is magnesium sulfate).

Magnesium chloride (IV)is what we use for me.

Mag Sulfate is offered in injections.
Mag chloride is only avail in IV. You can also get a topical spray of Mag chloride (mine is from Swanson).

[ 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Tammy N. ]

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had a few months when I did these every day. Currently, I do them as needed, and my doctor recommends a minimum of once per week, but target at 2-3 times per week.

I have a lot of myoclonic jerking and shaking, so when this is getting stronger and I feel it is likely going to lead to a seizure (which I also have often), then I do an injection. This usually ends up being a few times a week -- although this week has been every day.

My doctor suggests no more than once a day for me. Also, I think I'm using more mag sulf per injection than is sometimes used -- not sure. I'm using 2.5cc of it.

Also wanted to add that they have me using procaine with the mag sulf, not B12, although that sounds like a nice option too. The procaine helps it from stinging. I use about equal parts procaine and mag sulf.

The injections help me I believe. They aren't a miracle, but sometimes they can take the edge off my shaking and help my body stabilize -- sometimes keeping me from moving into full seizure. I'm glad I have them, although I do get hard bruising in my skin with them, so prefer not to do as frequently.

Fortunately I have my husband to do them for me, so we use my hip/upper buttocks. Even there, it can become painful if I do them too often, but the nurse at my doctor's office told us to stay with that area, not to use the thigh (not sure why...something about not enough muscle there or something).

Good luck Nonna.

P.S. Hi Keebler! *hug*

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "Meyer's Cocktail" maybe far better.

Johns Hopkins.

Google this: Meyer's cocktail Johns Hopkins

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm glad to see both LymeAware and Marnie's posts as they remind me how much magnesium shots - and weekly "Meyer's Cocktails" for about six months - worked to help me walk again - and to help lessen intensity and frequency of seizures.

I also tried a couple magnesium/vit. C and other ingredients a PUSH. I would not recommend a PUSH. It's too fast and, for me, it really burned. I did just a couple of these.

A PUSH is also much more condensed that a DRIP. That's another reason why a DRIP is likely kinder as it's diluted with much more liquid (saline).

I think the intern doing it was all new to this and that was part of the torture but I also think the formula was not balanced for my comfort.

The office where this was done was just too bright and busy for my senses so that also clobbered my endocrine system.

An IV drip - over an hour - is just more gentle and gives the body time to take up the nutrients.

A PUSH might be fine for some meds, some people but having a large syringe of liquid pushed into your blood vessel in just 20 minutes is, literally, a push.

The formula "caustic-ness" (I know that is not a word) and the skill of the person doing it matters greatly.

Even when not just to curtail seizures, the magnesium helped me feel stronger in some sort of neurological sense. I had not been able to really walk well for some time, so this helped me regain my gait and balance a bit.

For me, it was definitely very helpful. Since I also needed the B-12, it was easy to put in the syringe. But, the method LymeAware does sound good to decrease sting, too.

I used 1 cc mag. sulf. and 1 cc B-12 (Hydroxycobalamin).

At one time, I added 1/2 cc B-complete. Both the B's were from a compounding pharmacy and with no preservatives. Now, that is a lot of liquid to shoot into one's leg at one place. I had to use two injection sites.

I used as narrow of a needle as possible (either 25 or 27 gauge - there is a big difference in those and the thicker one of the two I used to pull the liquid out of the vials and then switched to a fresh needle for injection.

Pharmacists do not recommend that as there is a chance of contamination from the air during the switch. But my very tender nerves in my thighs could not take a needle dulled by two or three stabs through rubber vial tops.

If you use use that methods, when you switch needles, it needs to be as fast as possible, in a clean, non-windy and non-dusty environment, not even breathing on to it.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For oral use:

http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm-plus-calcium/

Peter Gillham's Natural Calm - Magnesium & Calcium

- recommended as a Sports replenishment formula, helps reduce lactic acid build-up.

===================================

Google: "magnesium rich foods"
-

LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting, Keebler, to hear that some don't recommend switching needles. The nurse at my doctor's office has us doing that, so I hadn't heard about that.

I've been being very careful just instinctively, but I'm glad to hear this from you, as it means I'll be a bit more clear to be aware when switching needles.

I can't remember the numbers off-hand, but I'm pretty sure we use an 18 gauge needle to draw the fluids, and then switch to a 25 gauge for the insertion.

And boy...I'm using 5cc total of fluid in one spot. No wonder my bum is sore! ha ha. Although likely the hip area can take a bit more than thigh.

All very interesting.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sulfate issue with Tammy...I'm allergic to sulfa thw antibiotic , but have always been told not the same thing as this and other things
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Methylcobalamin is a better kind of B-12 from the typical kind. You're fine with that.

Sorry, I can't reply to other questions.

With Thanks to Carol in PA for turning me on to this link, THIS is what magnesium does for us:

----------------

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition

-by Michael B. Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.magnesiumtaurate.net/

Magnesium Taurate

Scroll down to see a bit about the book, "The Magnesium Miracle"

A click to look inside the book redirects you to Amazon where you can also see 49 reader reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034549458X?ie=UTF8&tag=rebuifromdepr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=034549458X

=======================================

http://www.thewayup.com/products/0186.cfm

Magnesium Taurate

Studies have revealed magnesium & the amino acid taurine have some interchangeable & potentiating roles.

Magnesium helps to regulate taurine & taurine can substitute for magnesium when magnesium is deficient.

Both taurine & magnesium stabilize cell membranes, both exert sedative effects & inhibit the excitability of nerve cells throughout the central nervous system.* . . .

. . . One to two capsules can be opened under the tongue for more immediate effects with anxiety. . . .
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking magnesium injections now. Dr gave me lydocaine to numb the area before injecting the magnesium. That really helps because the magnesium is really painful.

My big problem is bruising. I have bruises every place I inject this stuff. I don't get bruising with my b12 injections.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to prevent it?

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't realize magnesium was really painful. I was thinking of looking into b12/mag shots but now I don't know.

I get it each week in an IV push. I don't usually have any pain that way. Once in a while I get some burning that runs up my arm though.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Summer,

the shots also seemed to cause severe sensitivity in my thighs. You can only shoot the area on top center (a pants crease line) over to the side where a side trouser seam would be. And not too high up and not too close to the knee.

I often seemed to hit nerves. It was all so very painful, even with B-12 added, the needle, no matter how fine the needle (either a 25 gauge or 27 gauge - the smaller one for my thigh, the larger to draw out of the vial).

It has to go deep into the muscle.

If someone else can do this, the hip will work but I've even had nurses hit a nerve in the back of my hip.

It has taken years after stopping the shots for those target areas to recover.

I really do not recommend shots if needed more than once a week. Maybe once a week would be okay. I had to do this daily for a couple months as my magnesium was so very low.

I also had a few pushes (never again, very painful with magnesium and I think they did not know what they were doing) . . .

The IV drip went better, though.

For me, such targeted magnesium did help lessen the severity of seizures. They went from my 10 to my 6 and have never climbed back up to where they were.

I also used to pass out a lot. That got much better with the IV drips. Since stopping those many years ago, I feel like I may pass out but have not (as long as I sit down - but before, I never got that warning to sit down).

So, it may sound like I went nowhere but there was marked improvement. This was separate from lyme treatment, that was not in the picture when I took the shots or IVs.
-

Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess for now I'll stick with the IV's. I am not having any pain with them so far. The thing is that they wear off after 2-3 days. Sometimes sooner. It's unpredictable.

Right after the IV I feel really good, a clear head, no dizziness, no muscle twitching, I can move my hands normally, no numbness, not exhausted etc. Then everything comes back on. I wish I could get them every day.

I've tried using oral supplements. The really good kinds. They don't seem to do much. I really don't feel any difference on them.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Here's a thought. Maybe my thighs are just more tender than yours might be.

You could try a shot mid-week and see how it goes. My whole body is very tender and if I even bump myself the pain is just too the moon.

Maybe you will react differently. If you slowly dig your finger deep into your thigh tissue, how is that comfort level? That might be an indication.

Some say topical (transdermal) magnesium "oil" helps. I've just never had the attention span to sort that all out, or the money.

or a concentrated foot soak in epsonm salts. Too much of a concentration can irritate skin, though.

Google: foods high in magnesium
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure my pain is due to hitting a nerve or not. The pain I get is very similar to that of getting a injection of novacaine. It is a burning. Then it is gone. I feel nothing from the magnesium injection if I take lidocaine before.

I do have a lump and unfortunately a bruise, which is my real issue.

I would take IV magnesium but I don't have the time to make that happen. Also the less punctures to my veins the better. Less scar tissue. If I ever had a port put in I would definitely be taking magnesium through it.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I forgot about the magnesium lumps - the pooling of the solution - yes, that could really ache.

Massaging the area helps.

About lidocaine, some can contain epinephrine which we should avoid.

As a topical to numb injection site, this should be fine. As a solution to put with the magnesium, a bit drawn in after mag. is in the syringe so that it is expelled first to numb the tissue as the needle goes through, if it contains epinephrine that could be way to stimulating for us.

For me, the injection site itself was not so much the concern for pain but when the magnesium solution was introduced to the tissue inside of my leg, it just burned terribly UNLESS B-12 was with it.

Various numbing agents contain epinephrine. Be sure you know this for your dental visits. My dentist was the first to tell me "NO EPI" and marked it right inside the cover to my chart.
-

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terv, if you got a bruise, you hit a blood vessel. Ice the area after injecting, and rotate your injection sites. I've been doing mag sulfate IM for 7 yrs now.

To avoid injecting into a vessel, once the needle is inserted, draw back and see if it pulls and blood. If it does, remove the needle, DO NOT INJECT the mag, and discard the dose. You will need to prepare another syringe and try a different area.

This link has a great description (see second page, D. through I.)

As far as burning goes, I draw the 2ml mag and then 1ml 2% lidocaine after. This way, the lidocaine goes in first when you inject and it numbs the area.

It's not a complicated process, nor is it painful when done correctly. IM and IV magnesium are probably the best things I ever did during treatment. I just didn't want this post leaving new people here afraid to try it.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

lymeinhell,

You give me hope I can get this to work. I have had times when I withdraw the needle and blood comes out. those times I do end up with a huge bruise. However most of the time I don't get that and I still get a bruise. It isnt as bad though.

I rotate the sites mostly because of all the bruising. My butt is blacknblue. It is hard to believe that I am always hitting a blood vessel.

I prepare the mag/lidocaine as you do.

I will try icing the site though and see if that helps. I need to get this to work.

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you making sure you get rid of all air bubbles before you inject? Once the syringe is full, hold it needle up. Flick your finger a few times on the side of the syringe to make sure any bubbles rise to the top. Then squirt it while upright to ensure you get rid of the air.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Success! I got back from travel and tried a new injection site that lymeinhell suggested along with making sure I got the air bubbles out. No burning, no bruise, nothing. I have done this twice now so I am hoping I have this solved. Now I just need to get all my bruises healed up.

Thanks!

nonna05
Member # 33557

Seems like a lot are using lidocaine..

was it difficult to get ??

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting it IV is great, over 10 minutes or more. If you have a PICC line or port, you can do it yourself easily. Otherwise, have to go to the dr/NP.

There's "also magnesium oil" topically (it's not really and oil, just feels like it).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Nonna, you need a prescription to get the lidocaine.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

nonna05
Member # 33557

Is it at compounding or reg. pharmacy??

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement