LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Where Did This Spare Tire Around My Middle Come From? Ugggg

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where Did This Spare Tire Around My Middle Come From? Ugggg
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me when I say, before I got sick I weighed between 130-135 and had a mostly flat tummy ( I'm 5'7" ).

Now, my upper belly is sooooooo bloated and I have a VERY uncomfortable innertube-like thing of FAT around my upper abdomen! A HUGE roll of fat!

I eat LESS and better than I used to, but weigh more now due to inactivity. But I look around at some hefty people and my roll doesn't look normal. My lower belly is ok...it's the upper belly that packing on the pork!

I've had a CT scan, an ultrasound and an upper endoscopy/colonoscopy before and they always say everything is fine, but I swear it feels like there's a 30 pound alien in my upper abdomen.

It's embarrassing to have just gone to pot like I have. I used to always be on the thin side.
I feel so gross, but don't have the energy to exercise. [shake]

Does anybody else have a spare tire around their middle? Is it as uncomfortable as mine is?

It's bad enough feeling like crap, but to have to also look like crap...I just wanna cry [Frown]
I look like night and day ( in a bad way ) in a span of 6 years.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to a LLMD discuss how common weight gain is with lyme disease. She broke it down in medical terms and wished I had my notes handy.

She said the majority of Lyme patients have weight gain. Yet there are some patients on this board that lose weight, but weight gain is very common.

Don't beat yourself up this disease is hard enough as it is.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this is normal, the Lyme bacteria shuttle into compartments with lower blood supply away from abx and herbs, create fat to insulate themselves, put homeopathics, essential oils, etc on the fatty areas to drive the pathogens outa there!
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/obesityandbartonella.html

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have a spare tire on my upper abdomen. but do have one around my hips. ITS SO ANNOYING. none of my old pants fit me. Ive gone up a hole size in my pants. So i just wear stretchy fabric pants now only (black yoga pants) and I wear long sweaters to cover it up. I hate it!. I either dont fit into my old clothes anymore, or theyre tight and uncomfortable on me.

Its so annoying i totally feel you. I made a thread a few days ago about my weight gain.

I gained 50 pounds over the course of a few months

hang in there. the weight will come off!

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belly Fat is the favorite place for the body to store the toxins, mainly toxic metals. If you use photons or rife and do not protect yourself with the cleanup-agents from the die-off which always includes toxic metals, the ring around the middle tends to grow.

Doctors in the know will inject some of the metal detox agents into the belly fat - or teach patients how to do it.

The metals are where the infections are - etc. and the pathogens are where the metals are (as are the parasites holding on to the metals).

Photons to not actually kill - they only modulate the immune system. So even with photons, one needs to take protective measures to mobilize and eliminate the toxins from the body. Often it takes some chelating/clathrating agents to do that. It's almost never just one therapy alone -- everyone has to be followed with supporting agents to get the toxins totally out of the system.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to read this book, which is aptly name The Potbelly Syndrome. It's about how common germs cause a myriad of things, one being a potbelly.

http://www.potbellysyndrome.com/

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody.

I didn't see the thread on gaining weight, or I would've just posted there.

I've been sick for 6 years, but the weight gain REALLY started last year when I started abx treatment. I stopped abx's in July when I started photon treatment, but I'm still gaining in the middle.

GiGi, I was hoping you'd see this. I just started using Chelex and really really trying to detox. I do feel like I am packing on fat to hold toxins {{{sigh}}}

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by lymegal23:

I gained 50 pounds over the course of a few months

I've gained close to 40 [Frown]

I feel like this fat is squishing my lungs.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEAST

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get moving people get moving. Get the blood moving, good for lymph, digestion, well being.

Now matter how sick we are we gotta move!

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gained 40 pounds when I lived in that moldy house of mine... and lost it when I moved out. I tell people I didn't lose any weight, I just lost mold.

This video is about an hour long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxKByeL18E
The guy that does the presentation that starts at 12:35 shows pictures of himself fat and sick... and you see what he looks like now. He has lyme and mold... just like we do. He tells what he did to get better, what foods and supplements he took, etc.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
YEAST

Eeeeeeek! I hate that evil word.

quote:
Originally posted by bigstan:
Get moving people get moving. Get the blood moving, good for lymph, digestion, well being.

Now matter how sick we are we gotta move!

Ha! I do a little bit of pilates and a little bit of my Total Gym. Aerobics? Forget about it. I can't breathe ( can't keep my iron level up). My legs are fine and my arms are fine. It's this upper abdominal fat that makes me so miserable.

I tried rebounding and felt like my brain was knocking around in my skull. [dizzy]

I did about 3 minutes of Just Dance on the Wii and thought I was going to keel over. I got the same feeling doing that as when I had an EKG and it was abnormal. [bow]

Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by momlyme:
I gained 40 pounds when I lived in that moldy house of mine... and lost it when I moved out. I tell people I didn't lose any weight, I just lost mold.

This video is about an hour long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxKByeL18E
The guy that does the presentation that starts at 12:35 shows pictures of himself fat and sick... and you see what he looks like now. He has lyme and mold... just like we do. He tells what he did to get better, what foods and supplements he took, etc.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering, have you been able to go gluten and sugar free and low glycemic? That helps to reduce inflammation in the body, which can help the weight drop. It will also reduce candida problems.

I feel so much better on GF and sugar-free, it's made a big difference. Also dropped weight on it.

Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just did a search on belly fat and found this thread. I've lost 20 lbs. since being sick - 5'6" and down to 120 lbs. Since starting plaquenil, cefdiner and zithro I've gotten this gross belly fat too. I didn't want to lose anymore weight, I wanted to gain a few lbs. actually but I don't get this fat belly! Yeast? Well, I'm gluten and sugar free and take probiotics. I walk two miles almost every evening unless too ill. It could be yeast, metals, who knows. But, I do know I don't like it!!
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it's a complicated subject. More and more studies are showing that inflammation is at the root of many, many diseases.

That's not to discount the infection.....the infection causes inflammation. Conventional medicine is clueless IMO.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google Belly Fat + Parasites

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been slim my entire life, even after 4 kids, the last when I was 43.

In the past few years, I've put on 45 pounds - on a 5'4" frame, and I hate it!!

I eat fewer calories than ever, and before the fatigue overcame me, I exercised like never before, but nothing got it off!! It just kept on creeping up on me.

If anybody knows how to reverse this, I'd love to know!! [bonk]

Posts: 161 | From vancouver island | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally reversed it getting rid of parasites.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metabolic syndrome.

Infection related...not just parasites.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2883353/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19086952

and others!

I'm equally concerned about chronic lyme patients who are emaciated - literally starved because the pathogen has robbed so many critical nutrients/ treatment of the infection caused major damage to the normal bowel flora and nutrients can't be absorbed, utilized and made.

Our outward appearance does not mean we are healthy. People can be skinny and have a very unhealthy fatty liver which long term is not a good thing.

While exercise does help reduce fat (that seen i.e. LOOK fat and that in the liver), other things like berberine/milk thistle can help correct a fatty liver which can only be seen on a fasting ultrasound of your liver.

Skinny fat people...yea:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/skinny-fat_b_1540324.html

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many have noticed the increase in weight after starting abx?
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

How many have noticed the increase in weight after starting abx?
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
Metabolic syndrome.

Yes, agreed. Mark Sisson of marksdailyapple.com talks about metabolic syndrome in his book The Primal Blueprint. It's a great book about healthy eating. It's a whole lifestyle, not just diet.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have a huge monster truck tire around my middle and am trying to use the eliptical and treadmill to walk off the weight.(Plus weight machines.) I must do 30 minutes on treadmill and eliptical and am slow as a tortoise. My iron levels are shot to heck and I have asthma to boot. I just gained thirty pounds in about 2 months or less due to steroid use...I couldn't breathe due to lung infection and had to get oxygen somehow. Growing gills at this stage of evolution is not an option. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Yes, I agree it's infection related, and with Lyme we carry more than one infection. Dr. K. believes and has stated, in order to get rid of the rest of the infections you have to get rid of the parasites FIRST and then the infections are easier to deal with.

You have to get at the CAUSE of the metablolic syndromes (definition being a set of risk factors) Diet of course is important as an adjunct to healing. Food can be your medicine.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie,

Thank you for the Huff Post link! Fabulous article by Dr Mark Hyman - I'm posting on my Facebook page to share with others.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a nutritional detoxing cleanse that helped me get my waist from 38" to 30 inches in 60 days. I started in September. Released 6 inches off my waist in the first 30 days and another 2 inches in the second 30 days.

I took four days off and ate whatever I wanted and did not get sick at all. I ate out every meal... bread, dairy, seafood, desserts... stuff I could never eat before this cleanse and I felt fine.

I am starting another 30 days today. My waist was 26" when I was happiest and healthiest so I will stop doing the cleanse and maintain when I get there. I was sick for 20+ years so I figure I have a lot of detoxing to do.

This cleanse also got rid of my brain fog, gave me more energy... I can do aerobic exercise without feeling like I am going to die. That fatigue from exercising has got to be because of toxins that are living inside our bodies.

The constant pain I had in my gut--right side rib cage is gone. I had developed hypersensitivity to food, mold and chemicals where I would get sick when I came into contact with mold, pumped gas, someone wore perfume or hairspray, road work, pesticides... you name it, it would land me in bed for days battling headache, vomiting and diarrhea. I am not sensitive like that anymore.

Please PM me if you want details about the cleanse.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Momlyme, your mailbox is full!

I want to know all about your cleanse.... Please!
ThankYou!

Posts: 2251 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadesofpurple
Member # 23923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadesofpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momlyme your mailbox is full pls send me the info
Posts: 86 | From Central PA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement