LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How/why band 41 (FlaB) is so often positive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How/why band 41 (FlaB) is so often positive
ChuckG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScienceDaily

quote:
Oral Bacteria Enables Breaking Bond On Blood Vessels to Allow Invaders in

ScienceDaily (Dec. 15, 2011) � A common oral bacteria, Fusobacterium nucleatum, acts like a key to open a door in human blood vessels and leads the way for it and other bacteria like Escherichia coli to invade the body through the blood and make people sick...

...one of the most prevalent of the more than 700 bacteria (sic) in the mouth.

She found the gram-negative anaerobe has a novel adhesin or bonding agent she's named FadA that triggers a cascade of signals that break the junctures in an interlocking sheath of endothelial cells on blood vessel's surface just enough to allow F. nucleatum and other bacteria into the blood.

Posts: 426 | From Berkeley, CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you (or someone) explain this further? I'm trying to understand this.

I recently found my old Igenex Lyme test & I'd like to try to interpret it better. I was just wondering about this very subject.

I don't feel that I actually had Lyme but my test was interpreted to say I did have it. I had about 3 Lyme tests & they were all considered negative as per state/CDC values.

I was thinking that there had to be other pathogens that may cause a test to be considered positive but certain LLMDs. I know this is a tricky issue with some people here but I do believe that many are given false positives, as well as, negatives.

I read over the thread about how the Igenex test is interpreted but I think there's another answer to all of this. This lack of accurate testing is a bottleneck to many people getting well. Whether they have Lyme or some other factor.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fusobacterium nucleatum drills a hole to gain access to the interior of a blood vessel. Other bacteria can enter the blood stream through the hole.

Treponema denticola, the oral spirochrete, related to Bb, can then enter the blood stream. Its flagellar proteins can then trigger an immune response that could be taken as a Bb immune response by both ELISA and Western Blot band 41.

If you have multiple IGeneX results I would love to have them.

Posts: 426 | From Berkeley, CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could other spirochetes have a similar response such as syphilis? I have wondered about that, too. (not that I think I might have that - just to be clear)

I only had 1 IgeneX test. I had 2 or 3 other tests done which were negative. I believe they were the ELISSA tests, though... No big deal. Doesn't necessarily mean I was negative. I'm sure there are many people here who had repeated IgeneX tests.

I guess the main factor for me was that I didn't noticibly herx from the abx. My biggest response was from doing an anti-parasite protocol.

I've been ill for 17 years. I'm still ill. I've tried alot of things but nothing seems to work for very long. It has to be something else...

I had lots of tests & seen many doctors. I don't have the symptoms of bart or babs. I'm not really sure after all of this time what it is. Don't really think it's Lyme. I know others who have done long courses of abx & are still ill. I don't think that's always the answer.

Unless we know for sure - it's hard to go along with taking extreme courses of abx. They can do alot of damage & you still end up ill.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

PS - I just always suspected that the IgeneX test might not be as accurate (for an indication of Lyme) as some LLMDs think they are.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement