LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to get ENT to avoid steroid spray when using scope?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get ENT to avoid steroid spray when using scope?
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard the ENTs always use a steroid spray before inserting scope to look around. (And they don't tell you it's steroidal, they just say it will help them insert the scope.)

I've had ongoing ear/jaw pain (for which I've been to dentists many times). But I also have ear discomfort and salivary gland things happening. Wondering how it's all connected?? Thought an ENT would be a good next step.

Thanks.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't waste my time with an ENT. I saw one and asked her what the swollen glands were in my neck. She thought they might be salivary glands, but wasn't sure. Hello? Isn't she an ENT doc?

She scoped me and saw a lot of inflammation in my throat and just said "I've seen this before." Then she told me if I have any issues in the future I will want to see a rheumatologist, and a bunch of other autoimmune docs. Maybe she knew I had lyme, but was afraid to say anything (welcome to new england).

Tammy, in my case, I had lyme and co and didn't know it. I believe it was bart (causes gastric upset) as I had some major GERD. Once I started getting treated for lyme and bart (years later), the gerd went away. I wonder if lyme or bart causes hpylori.

I also had the ear and jaw pain (and went to dentist many times). Have you been treated for bart?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear what you are saying, Catgirl. I rarely get good answers out of conventional docs.

In this case, I'm still going to go because I haven't checked this avenue and I am not settled with what I'm dealing with.... I had a significant puss incident after some dental treatments, and something is telling me the puss may still be pooling and I think it is deeper than the gums/jaw. Repeated dentist visits haven't cleared it. Also, when I do the neti pot, I get a low rumble below my left ear. Also have a higher awareness of when salivary glands are working on that side. Something is up. Wish I knew the best place to turn.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you ask the ent to spray with something else? Seems like a legitimate request.

Maybe do some research on the spray you would want and ask them if they have it. You can't be the first person out there to want non-steroidal spray.

Good luck with this and post what spray they used so we'll know. Thanks.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not that big of a deal to spray some local steroid for the doctor to get a better look/diagnoses.
Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto what buster said

many llmds over the yrs have told me not to worry about topical steroids for short term: eye drops, ear drops and even short term prednisone for life threatenting stuff like asthma

i also have had many problems with regular docs...one gi told me in 7 min i was fine and 2 days later i had emerg appendectomy

but a primary txed me for 3 months with abx for ear infect...it never worked i had bad reactions to abx(cipro)...so i went to ent and he clearly told me i never had ear infect

my ear,eye,facepain turned out to be trigeminal neuralgia from infllmation of nerves probably from lyme

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you do have something going on.

I understand your concern about the steroid spray. I avoid steroids now. I have had steroids (pills, creams) during the past 3 or 4 years (even the scope) and they didn't seem to affect me (at least that I know of). So far, so good (am improving on orals).

I'd say not to sweat it, but I completely understand, it is a personal decision.

Fyi, I remember Burrascano saying on his DVD, "Putting Lyme Behind You" that a little bit of steroids is okay.

I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even a tiny bit of a steroid can cause major probolems for anyone with MCS, adrenal exhaustion, seizure disorder, or porphyria.

This post is for anyone dealing with any of those.
------------------------------------

For anyone with a seizure condition, even a tiny bit of steroid can trigger a seizure. I don't think of steroids in the nasal passages as topical at all, they very soon are absorbed into the blood stream.

So, if seizures (or even agitation or anxiety) are in the picture, it's best to find something else.

PORPHYRIA is another condition for which even a tiny amount of steroid can trigger a porphyria attack (and that can look like a panic attack).

Steroids can affect the adrenal system in profound and fast ways for those with adrenal exhaustion, too. Usually, the boost of energy is just too much to handle.

I have all of those things. When a doctor tricked me and forced a puff of a steroid asthma inhaler in my mouth (after telling me to let out all my air, then when I inhaled, he forced the inhaler and shot me a puff) . . .

Well, it was MONTHS, yes MONTHS, before my adrenal system stopped feeling electrocuted. It was the most agonizing time, waiting for my body to settle down from that one dose. But, I had no clue to why at that time.

Now, if necessary for some life-threatening emergency or to save vision or hearing - or even if absolutely needed during some procedure - be sure to BALANCE that out with excellent adrenal support as well as nerve support.

Those with any kind of porphyria would have to take added measures.

Details below:

============================================

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

HPU / KPU Protocol - Planet Thrive

===================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA

Many good links here

===================================

http://ciin.org/

CIIN - Chemical Injury Information Network

http://ciin.org/mcs.html

About MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities)

. . . Disorders of Porphyrinopathy . . .

========================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

ADRENAL SUPPORT LINKS are included here.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to consider being checked for Sjogren's.

Salivary gland and ear problems go right along with it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Thanks for replies. I am going to try to avoid this spray when at docs. (Maybe I'll bring some K-Y with me when I go as an alternative if he doesn't offer anything else?? Why not, huh?)

Lymetoo - don't know much about Sjogren's. Hope it's not another thing to add to the list.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might be able to use Benadryl spray instead...it would provide topical numbing and smooth muscle relaxation, but it is not a steroid.

I'm not talking about the Benadryl spray you can buy in the drug store for itchy skin...that is not safe to use internally.

I'm referring to oral liquid Benadryl sprayed onto the throat with a pump spray bottle...

This Benadryl oral liquid spray would be a custom use type thing the doctor would have to do for you, so make sure they are willing to do it first before you agree to do the procedure.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Razzle's idea is excellent. Call ahead to see.

(K-Y should not be used in the nasal passages for a few reasons: one is the paraben content; but it would also cloud the scope. And it's not sterile. You need whatever goes into your nasal cavity to be sterile.).

I also wonder if your being sure to take your anti-inflammatory supplements would help decrease inflammation in your nasal passages.

Magnesium, Fish oil, antioxidants . . .

Avoid gluten, diary, corn and soy.

Avoid scented products -- and escape exhaust fumes as much as possible (keep your distance from vehicles in front of you).

I hope you've first talked to your LLMD about all this. What you describe is very common with "lyme complex" and you many not need an ENT. But, if you do, the recommendation is best from a LLMD.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ttyme
Member # 24435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A PATIENT HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANY PART OF THE THERAPY.

for example, "yes dr, I want you to examine my nasopharnyx but DO NOT want ANY steroids of ANY kind."

it is well within your RIGHT!
if the practitioner proceeds in spite of your request they are committing assault. if practitioner refuses, leave and tell them you will not pay for visit.

this is not the dark ages (1950) and 'MD' does not permit you to do as you please to a person.

i cannot tolerate epinephrine, in dentistry it helps reduce bleeding & extends local anesthesia. my most wonderful dentist complies and does what is necessary for what is best for ME not him.

Posts: 8 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ttyme
Member # 24435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that said, ear pain, very interesting

decreased hearing in left ear was a very early symptom waved off by audio md.

3yrs later, ringing, pain + knees, shoulders, memory. still no lyme dx. Ear Md gave me steroid spray, mild hearing loss upper range which he called 'negligible'

2 more years, more symptoms, finally a good llmd and tx, 2yrs now. still ringing ; ]

I have read, heard interviews Eva Sapi, head and neck seems to be focal point for BD complex. fits my picture. tt

Posts: 8 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

I go tomorrow morning..... hoping it goes well. I'm certain I will not allow steroid spray, I just hope the conversation is comfortable.

Razzle - thanks for the idea. I've been so busy....my sister called around and tried to find the nasal spray with no luck.... now I just re-read and saw that you were referring to the throat spray. Don't know if I will be able to find that before my 9am appt.

If I have to go back to his office another time with this product (or another that may work) then so be it.

Thanks.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tammy,

I'm talking about using the oral liquid benadryl as a throat numbing agent, by either gargling with it or putting it in an empty pump spray bottle and spraying it on your throat to get your throat numbed for the scope.

If the scope is up your nose too, then you can get an empty nasal spray bottle from a compounding pharmacy and put the oral liquid benadryl in the empty nasal spray bottle and use it to numb the nasal passages.

I hope this makes sense...take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Interesting thought....

We called several pharmacies and no one had liquid Benedryl. I can look around if I need to go back for a follow-up appt.

Hopefully the doc has a non-steroidal option. (It's a crime, isn't it? how they just readily use steroids.)

Thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement