LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lose weight on abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lose weight on abx?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten a bit heavier and I've heard abx make you gain weight too. Any serious cardio is kind of out of the question for me. Is there anything I can do to lose this weight without stopping treatment?
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the opposite, I lost weight when I got sick. I would say weight lifting is good. Start out with light weights and work up to what you can do. Yoga is also good, along with a good diet.
Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Whether up or down:

* Forget weight as a number. I would only weigh at doctors' appointments. Really.

The psychological self-abuse often caused by the number that appears on scales can be dangerous to health. It's the rare person who can really put this into perspective.

* Pack away your scale or even give to GoodWill (unless you need to weigh for water carrying issues regarding kidneys or heart).

If you must keep it, keep it in a closet and bring out only once a week, or once a month (unless you need to weigh more often for other health reasons).

No Judging. No Judging. No Judging.

Tossing out my scale was a marvelous gift for myself. Should have done it when I was a teenager.

The new "scale" - be vigilant in the choices you make each day.

Do talk to your LLMD about this as most of them realize it's not what most people think. But they need to know how you are doing with all matters, including "puffiness" - or the opposite - as indication of other things.

Focus on what you need to do for health:

* Food. First, you must eat. Good food. Enough of it. Your cells need this fuel and the antioxidants.

Check your definition of that with your LLMD.

A gluten-free diet is often recommended and all simple foods are out. That still leaves a lot of foods to considers, lots of different veggies, lean meats from good sources, best free range.

* Move: aerobics are out of the question for most (but not all) lyme patients UNLESS you clear it with your LLMD after some progress has been made - or you were it tip top shape before lyme.

Aerobics during infections can damage the heart so do ask your LLMD when and if you feel ready.

Good Moves: weight training (if your joints allow); Qi Gong; Tai Chi; Pilates; restorative Yoga; walking; just dancing around the house when a song strikes your fancy . . .

In Dr. B's guidelines, see the section on weight training and P.T. rehabilitation. This has to be done in a specific manner.

* Rest / Sleep: also vital to health and really important for weight management. Lack of good sleep causes weight gain. So can certain drugs.

* Adrenal support, liver support are essential.

If you focus on good food, good moves, good rest that trumps whatever the scale might say.

Yes, weight can be an issue for those with lyme or other chronic stealth infections. Just focus on a healthful routine and this will work out.
-

[ 12-29-2011, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
More detail here, including links to the book "The Potbelly Syndrome" that specifically addresses weight gain with lyme and Cpn -- and many adrenal support links that are your best friend in this matter.

Now, this is not just for those who carry extra weight.

The authors explain that even for some outwardly thin folks, the inside of their blood vessels can hold fat, from infection and the stress on the adrenal fight or flight hormone, cortisol.

This book and the adrenal links here are for everyone, no matter their size:
-----------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/112235?#000012

Topic: Borrelia Weight Gain?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement