LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
Kaeli958
Member # 35525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaeli958     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else have MCS? I'm having allergic reations to all antibiotics. Please advise with any experience with same issues??
Posts: 8 | From Panama City, Florida | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to Medical Questions! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had MCS before antibiotics.WHen I reduced the bugs and was in my first remision I felt better.

Once I have had a car accident and relapsed fully pretty fast from BABS and bart the MCS came with it.

WHen you are toxic from bugs reproducing or clogged liver ( toxic ) you have MCS.

As per alergy reaction are you talking about itcheness and redness on the skin , crawling sensation and itchenes in hands or legs.....BUGS and toxins trying to get out.

TRY SAUNA and detox.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MCS can also come from yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us who are allergic to antibiotics are taking herbs instead. I suggest you read Stephen Buhner's book "Healing Lyme." There's a yahoo group, Lyme_Aid_Buhner, also www.buhnerhealinglyme.com. There are many herbal options - this is an accessible protocol.

We can do bloodtesting that shows which detox pathways are working or not working. The results can help a good Lyme doctor know how to treat us. I did the detoxigenomic liver test through Genova Diagnostic lab in NC.

My best news for MCS - I have had severe MCS - couldn't handle chemical smells or touch materials, and am now gradually recovering through doing FIR sauna sessions - that's far infrared heat that causes us to sweat out toxins as well as detox internally through bile flow.

Over this past year, I first used a biomat and now am using a portable FIR tent, like every 5 days - takes me about 1/2 hour to sweat, then another 5-10 minutes in, then shower off the sweated toxins.

I am now able to tolerate being around most chemical smells and am starting to be able to touch more materials. If you can handle the heat of a far infrared sauna, it is possible to recover.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lassie27
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lassie27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had lyme for 8 years at least and was only diagnosed a little over a year ago. Part of what forced this was I began to have symptoms of MCS and environmental allergies to the point where my lungs would burn around ANY chemical cleaner or anything strongly scented. I had never had an allergy in my life, but was now asthmatic. My MCS symptoms began to improve once I started antibiotics, and have continued to improved very slowly over time. However, before I started antibiotics, I began using the infrared sauna and undergoing detoxes through STRICT dieting. I still have some sympoms, but am not done treating. I am wondering if I might have some yeast too?
Posts: 109 | From North East | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold causes a lot of the MCS.
R

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Mold, yes. Other things, too. There's a lot to check off on your list as you check one by one but also know that lyme, itself, can cause MCS.
------------------------------------------

First: NATURAL GAS, be sure there are no slow leaks, good daily ventilation.

People with MCS are not advised to be around natural gas or propane gas - even if the equipment is all okay. More about why in the CIIN and MCS links in following posts.

A slow gas leak can go undetected. Even if no gas in your home, flush the air a time or two every day. We all need some fresh air.

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.gas-leak.org/index.php

Gas Leak.org

The Quiet Destroyer: Natural Gas Poisoning

Excerpt:

. . . My house didn�t explode into flames; my family didn�t asphyxiate in their sleep, nothing as dramatic as that.

No, our leak was slow and undetectable to ourselves and visitors to our home.

We lived in our house for nearly 4 years before we discovered what was making us all sick. Very sick. . . .

----------------------------------

http://www.gas-leak.org/protect-your-home.php

In the Event of a Gas Leak

Excerpts:

If you smell EVEN THE TINIEST bit of natural gas in the air, leave immediately and inform your gas company! If you don�t know that number, dial emergency services, 9-1-1.

Do not use any electrical device, such as light switches, telephones or appliances such as garage door openers. They could spark and ignite the gas.

Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters.

Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak.

Do not try to shut off any gas valves or appliances.

Do not start vehicles.

Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until your gas company says it is safe. . . .

. . . . much more detail at link.

---------------------------

http://www.gas-leak.org/our-story.php

A Natural Gas Story

. . . It was a slow leak that had gone undetected for 3 years. . . .

. . . The gas company employee pointed out to me that the vent over my stove was not a vent at all. . . .

. . . The gas that leaked had no outlet, only the occasional opening and closing of an outside door. We had steeped ourselves in toxic natural gas for 3 full years! . . .

. . . Smoke, car fumes, perfume, formaldehyde related products and chemicals set off reactions of nausea, headaches or fatigue in all of the children. . . .

. . . the toxic effect of the gas on his nervous system. . . .

. . . Now, it is our turn to help others to heal.

We hope our story has helped you.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://ciin.org/

CIIN - Chemical Injury Information Network

http://ciin.org/mcs.html

About MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities)

. . . Disorders of Porphyrinopathy . . .

==================================

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

HPU / KPU Protocol - Planet Thrive

===================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA

Many good links here

===================================

http://www.ehcd.com/

The Environmental Health Center - Dallas, Texas

================

http://ilads.org/ilads_media/lyme-disease-videos/

3/4 of the way down:

IDENTIFYING ENVIRONMENTAL ILLNESS & MOLD EXPOSURE IN PATIENTS WITH PERSISTENT LYME DISEASE

Lisa L. Nagy, MD Video $15.

(Excellent to get, even if mold is not an issue, this is full of great information.)

She is NOT A LLMD, however, she understands the kind of toxicity issues faced by many with lyme. She did not have lyme but overcame very serious MCS. She spoke at the recent ILADS conference.

It's a great presentation to see. The DVD can be ordered. Great detail about toxicity issues also here:

http://lisanagy.com

Her Web Site
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Those with MCS who have more trouble tolerating pharmaceuticals especially require liver support all during treatment. Other methods of both support and targeted treatment might need to be explored. This thread should help:

===========================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Holistic M.D., etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures;

Knowing that support supplements are important, but NEVER enough alone. And knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL links, and

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients,

RIFE links,

BIONIC 880 links, and

LOW HEAT INFRARED SAUNA detail.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.heavenlyheatsaunas.com/

HEAVENLY HEAT FIR SAUNA

Their Glass model (free of plastic components, too) is the best for anyone with chemical sensitivities. It is recommended by the top doctors for those with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities).

==============================

INFRARED LIGHT SAUNA

http://www.buildaninfraredsauna.com/

The Amazing Infrared-Lamp Sauna

http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/SAUNA_THERAPY.htm

INFRARED SAUNA THERAPY - by Lawrence Wilson, MD - Sept., 2011

He focuses on LIGHT sauna treatment.

Excerpt:

. . . NOTES ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INFRARED HEAT LAMPS AND SIMPLE RED LIGHT BULBS

It is the infrared range, not the red color that is important. Red light, in fact, is harmful, but not infrared. . . .

http://drlwilson.com/SAUNAS/SAUNA%20PLANS.htm

Free Plans for Infrared Lamp Sauna

==================================

http://www.cedarbrooksauna.com/store/infrared-light-box.html

Infrared Sauna Light Box

----------------------------------

Note, those with MCS can be very sensitive to certain kinds of wood (cedar, pine, etc.). Be sure the wood frame would be from a kind known to be okay for MCS.

Styrofoam is also not recommended due to out-gassing. Glues, plastics, all that has to be considered.

So, I'm not sure these plans for a DIY light sauna would work for someone with MCS, the IDEA should, just needs to be with materials that are safe for MCS.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Have you been assessed for CELIAC, the inability to process gluten (in wheat, rye, spelt, kamut, barley). Many foods contain trace amounts.

Even if not diagnosed with celiac, many LLMDs suggest lyme patients go gluten-free during treatment.

More detail:

www.celiac.com

CELIAC
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methylation...it is all about methylation.

The liver makes glutathione to help detox chemicals of a wide variety. If methylation is impaired, not enough glutathione is made, and the chemicals cause havoc...the end result is environmental illness/MCS.

B-Complex vitamins are the #1 most important vitamins to support methylation. You may need co-enzyme forms of the B vitamins if you have impaired enzyme conversion (e.g., may need the active P5P form instead of regular pyradoxine, methylfolate instead of regular folic acid/folate, etc.).

Molybdenum is the #1 most important mineral to support methylation (molybdenum also supports sulfite & aldehyde detoxing, reduces yeast die-off symptoms, and supports energy metabolism), along with magnesium, zinc, iron.

See http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm for more info on Methylation...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Adding to Razzle's very important information about methylation, and that awesome site, this one may also be of help:

http://www.dramyyasko.com/methylation-diagram/

Amy Yasko's Methylation Diagram

(and then be sure to find her homepage and her other works on this topic)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://marycordaro.com/blog/

Mary Cordaro�s Healthy & Green BLOG

Safe Home for Health, Happy Families
-

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had SEVERE MCS about 3 1/2 years ago (shortly after I got bit--one of several bites). At the time I didn't know I had lyme, or bart, but since I was diagnosed last year, I now know it was the bart and lyme, & possibly one of my many other co infections.

I went to several docs who didn't have a clue about lyme (docs in my state suck--don't believe it exists or is endemic here). Acupuncture, switching to a vegan diet, and following the advice in a book called, Adrenal Fatigue, pulled me out of severe mode. I was much better a year later.

Unfortunately, I got bit again, and I think again. The MCS didn't come back with the last two bites though. The acupuncture and the abx have actually helped my sensitivities (much more tolerant now). But 3 1/2 years ago, I was allergic to everything, including prescriptions the hospital gave me. I couldn't take anything.

I would try the acupuncture, change of diet (at least gluten/sugar free), and definitely read & follow Adrenal Fatigue.

P.S. The beneficial effects of acupuncture are cumulative, so try to stick with it (ha ha). Seriously though, acupuncture rocks.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk thistle definitely helps me.

Just a few years ago if I walked by smokers, just the smell of it would give me a sinus infection. Perfumes still bother me but don't give me a headache.

All lotions, soaps, dryer sheets, all fragrance free. Makes all the difference.

Definitely could smell anything anytime. Not so much anymore.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you use buhner herbs you can make the tea very weak and slowly ramp up

i had mcs...got some bks and cleaned up my environment and now i can tolerate many chems i couldnt b4

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
lpkayak,

what is "bks" ? What is "b4" ?
-

gejr1
Member # 30795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gejr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant bucks for $$$ and b4 for "before"
Posts: 40 | From northern nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does MCS get better if you are not able to take antibiotics for Lyme and Co's?

Daughter's MCS is worse since treating Babs. She was taking Malarone and started Beyond Balance about 6 weeks after starting the Malarone.

We have currently stopped the Malarone and hopefully will be able to continue Beyond Balance.

Food allergies/ int. are increasing too. Daughter avoided all food on allergy reports for a year and now, still can't eat and have added more to list .

Sorry to complain, just is sooo complicated. Sigh!!

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Jane,

It's not complaining. This is very difficult. I hope you can get that Nagy DVD linked above. It is eye opening.

Sometimes, the MCS has to be addressed first. Sometimes, the infection. I hope you have (or can find) a LLMD who is tops in all the areas you need).
-

[ 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
gejr1,

Thanks for the decoder suggestions. I'll bet you are right with "bks" for bucks.

The "b4" sneaked by me as it requires the brain sort of switch languages from letter to numerals and that's quite an intricate task sometimes for the brain.
-

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had chemical sensitivity after levaquin gave me tendonitis. Anything the doctor gave me made me very sick with nausea, dizziness and headaches so bad I was in bed.

I laid off the chemicals using massive amounts of herbs for about 8 months. Then I relapsed pretty bad and as a last resort, I tried one of the drugs the doctor had prescribed after levaquin. I could tolerate it.

I did the drugs for nearly two years with no problems but I suddenly developed an allergy to zithromax. When I take a drug a long time I often become sensitive to it. I can't take ketek, or biaxin any more either. Every now and then I feel I need to rest from the abx. Not doing so often ends with a drug intolerance.

Other chemicals make me sick too, like herbicides. I had a huge set back when I decided killing the weeks was more important than taking care of myself.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler,

The links somehow disappeared. I will goggle the DVD.

Neff, sorry to read all your troubles too. I hope you find something that improves your health.

This is such a nightmare.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement