LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Trapped Gas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trapped Gas
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I had an ultrasound on my abdomen because of pain. The sonographer told me it was trapped gas.

It went away with abx treatment for Lyme.

I stopped abx last June, but the past 2 months this pain has slowly crept back.

So I tried Gas-X and charcoal capsules to see if it would help. It has helped about 50% in one day.

My upper abdomen was so swollen and painful from trapped gas.

Why do I keep getting trapped gas in my upper abdomen?

Could it be from probiotics?

Could it be bacteria die-off?

Thanks

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
back2game
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for back2game     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was definitely caused by probiotics -- saccharomyces boulardii+mos. Had taken them for 1 year. Gas has reduced by 90%. Abdominal pain is better by 50%. Nausea is almost non-existent now!

Not everyone can take probiotics. I do have many other chronic conditions, though, which make me more prone to excess gas, etc.

--------------------
CNS Lyme 05/08 - EIA 1.16+, IGG 18+, IGM 23+
01/11-IGM 31 Epitope Positive
01/11-IGM 31+++, 41+, 58++, 83-93+, 23-25IND, 39IND
01/11-IGG 41+
Vasculitis 01/07,MCTD 05/06,Fibro 11/04, Myofascial PS 11/03
Embedded Tick app. 1990

Posts: 136 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by back2game:
Mine was definitely caused by probiotics -- saccharomyces boulardii+mos. Had taken them for 1 year. Gas has reduced by 90%. Abdominal pain is better by 50%. Nausea is almost non-existent now!

Not everyone can take probiotics. I do have many other chronic conditions, though, which make me more prone to excess gas, etc.

Something tells me that it's the probiotics.

It has just gotten worse and worse, so I was adding more and more thinking it would help. When I added Sac-Boulardii, it has just gotten so out of control. Soooooo painful.

I did best when I only took the Pearls with 1 billion CFU's.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have trapped gas all of the time. When I had my heart cath and was not allowed to move for 6 hours the pain form the gas had me squirming. When I could move, a giant belch flew out of me.

I burp all of the time. Some days worse than others. Today, because of the gas, it is mimicking heart attack symptoms.

Currently on a very strict diet. Have not taken Sacc Boulardii for about 6 months...so it isn't from that. I do take VSL probiotics, but, for me, I do not think that it is creating the gas.

I have had this since before diagnosis, without probiotics...So, for me, I'm thinking the buggies have something to do with it...

Try eliminating or cutting waaaay back on the probiotic, esp. since you're not on antibiotics...feel better!

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by feelfit:

I burp all of the time. Some days worse than others. Today, because of the gas, it is mimicking heart attack symptoms.

I have noticed lately I haven't been burping at all, or passing gas out the other end, either ( until I took Gas-X yesterday, but it sure wasn't enough ).

quote:
Originally posted by feelfit:

Try eliminating or cutting waaaay back on the probiotic, esp. since you're not on antibiotics...feel better!

I will. Hope you feel better, too!
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decaying matter left behind causes gas and pain, and a lot more later unless we take care of it early on. After following some of your posts on photons, it seems that some serious cleaning out, i.e. colonics, at least a couple in a row, may be needed. All you write points toward that and not a "probiotic" problem.

From experience.

Take care and have a Healthy New Year.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
Decaying matter left behind causes gas and pain, and a lot more later unless we take care of it early on. After following some of your posts on photons, it seems that some serious cleaning out, i.e. colonics, at least a couple in a row, may be needed. All you write points toward that and not a "probiotic" problem.

From experience.

Take care and have a Healthy New Year.

But I had this problem last year, too, long before I ever even heard of photons. I didn't start photons until July of this year.

I did do a colon cleanse, twice, for 10 days each. Once at Thanksgiving and again a couple weeks ago.

I do feel like it's bacteria related...dead or alive...and can't figure out of it's probiotics, die-off or just bugs still in there having a party.

[dizzy] The whole thing just makes me nuts trying to figure it all out.

Thanks GiGi.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast

I get that pain if I eat too many carbs or ANY sugar at all.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Yeast

I get that pain if I eat too many carbs or ANY sugar at all.

I'm seriously going after that now. Trying to do Bee's diet ( omg ), and taking a lot of antifungals. Just got Candex, too, but searched here and it seems that didn't help very many people after all [Frown]

Just wonder why the gas has to get trapped? What causes it to get stuck and not come out?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but it is MISERABLE!!!

I spent three days on the couch because of it right before Thanksgiving. Haven't had a touch of sugar, or even stevia since then.

What is Bee's diet?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try antiparasitics and also coconut water.

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Water, water and more water. You can't move out the gas if the walls of the intestine are too dried out...

Also, laying on the left side with the right knee bent up and the left leg out straight on the floor (or bed, sofa, etc. - a flat surface) can help encourage the gas to move out.

Check also into stuck valves (ileal-cecal and valve of Houston) - acupuncture can correct the function of these valves.

Hiatal hernia (a small part of the upper stomach protruding above the diaphragm) can also cause belching.

Digestive enzymes may help with the gas. So might Fennel seed (use sparingly...it is a very strong herb. I put 4-6 individual fennel seeds on one plate of food, or you can put a small amount of the seeds in water before boiling to make tea).

Colon hydrotherapy can also be very helpful, not only for helping to tone the muscles (which makes them work better), but also for clearing debris that may be contributing to the gas.

Yeast or Parasites may also cause gas...

And I do believe Lyme messes so much with gut motility that small-bowel bacterial overgrowth or dysbiosis in the gut can be a big problem for those of us who have gut symptoms from Lyme/coinfections (Bart. also messes with gut motility).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Razzle:
Water, water and more water. You can't move out the gas if the walls of the intestine are too dried out...

-
interesting .. Since I have Sjogren's .. this would probably help me next time it happens. I hope for it not to happen again any time soon. I'm staying way away from sugar, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement