LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » More Candida questions...when to take what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Candida questions...when to take what?
canaanbites
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaanbites     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Candida is to the point where a few minutes after I eat, I am nauseas and bloated. There are a few things I can eat that I've noticed don't result in this sick feeling, but generally I am just reacting to everything I eat.

I am very eager to feel better, obviously. Here is what I am doing so far:

gluten-free
dairy-free
Diflucan once per day
probiotics (from Klaire Labs- 10 billion CFU's)
candida diet (not 100%, but getting there)
fish oil

I would like to add Olive Leaf Extract but I am unsure when to take it. I currently take the Diflucan at night and the probiotic in the afternoon. I don't know if I am taking enough of probiotics.

Should Diflucan be separate from probiotics and Olive Leaf?

Do I have to space out all three? I sure wish I could take it all at once. I have such a hard time spacing things out and remembering to take them.

Also on pycnogenol - ran out but will be getting more. Does this have to be spaced out from everything else too?

THanks so much for your help. CB

Posts: 114 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure but one thing for sure....You need at least 100 billion probiotics - 10 billion is nothing.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with flutter on the probiotics, 10 billion is a very small amount to be useful for a problem of the nature you describe.

Some other things you might consider are:

- very high dose nystatin (don't bother unless you have a doc willing to take serious and prescribe a high amount)

- CandiBactin BR from Metagenics, expensive but for me was more powerful than nystatin and probiotics put together

I found probiotics most useful taken immediately following foods. Diflucan is systemic so I don't think timing matters much in relation to other things, but I think it is recommended with meal. Items like OLE that you asked about and CandiBactin or others like Grapefruit Seed Extract that could also help, I have found best taken on empty stomach, perhaps 30 or more minutes prior to meal, and also at bedtime. Given the problem you are having, before meals probably makes sense as it may beat things back before you feed yourself (and them).

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is an appropriate dose of Nystatin? Is it not the pharmacies suggestion of 2 tsp. 4 times per day? How much can you take without a problem, and can you take it with antibiotics?

I researched that it was up to 5,000,000 units (there were 100,000 units to a ml), but does anyone know this for sure from experience?

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one point, I was taking 7,500,000 units a day, split in 3 doses (1 dose following each meal). Everyone's individual needs will be different. I do think that was on the high side, but I'm sure not the highest that would ever make sense for anyone. In my case, it was prepared as 500,000 units to a ml, so this was 1 teaspoon per meal.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People should be taking 100 billion per day?! Are there some that are that high? Most of the probiotics I see are 4-10 billion per pill.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimate flora 50 billion 2 x daily

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maustin
Member # 35054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maustin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per my LLMD, I take Kyolic (aged garlic) and oil of oregano. It works for me, along with high dose probiotics.

--------------------
maustin

Posts: 12 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Nystatin was of no use once you actually have yeast. I thought it was only a preventive. Diflucan kills it.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

When I began treatment with IV abx, I was taking something like 500-600 billion a day, spread over 6-8 doses a day. I think for many 100 billion a day would not be overdoing it.

Both nystatin and diflucan will "kill" yeast. Diflucan can go throughout the body and kill it, whereas nystatin will only touch what is in the digestive system. So perhaps you are thinking or have heard diflucan can "kill" as in completely get rid of it, whereas nystatin cannot. Perhaps diflucan can do that in some cases. Probably nystatin can never do that as the yeast can probably spread here and there, but it can be useful in beating it back, keeping it down. By the way, diflucan is no magic bullet for completely getting rid of it, many struggle to do that.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Larae30:
[QB] People should be taking 100 billion per day?! Are there some that are that high? Most of the probiotics I see are 4-10 billion per pill.

-
ABSOLUTELY!!

Ultimate Flora is good, or Theralac (take at least 2 a day), or VSL#3 . . very high dosage with VSL.. esp if you get the prescription.

Take them throughout the day .. at least twice.

You can probably take OLE, Diflucan, and probos together. I try to take probos alone. Take them at bedtime for sure. I also take them first thing in the morning.. then take other meds 30 min to an hour later.

PS.. someone mentioned nystatin.. take the tablets.. NO SUGAR in those! The liquid contains sugar.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beth22:
I thought Nystatin was of no use once you actually have yeast. I thought it was only a preventive. Diflucan kills it.

-
True, but I take both no matter what.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

quote:
PS.. someone mentioned nystatin.. take the tablets.. NO SUGAR in those! The liquid contains sugar. [/QB]
Don't know what liquid you refer to, but I got mine compounded without sugar or flavoring, but sweetened with stevia.
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another opinion:

I've done bio-med with my daughter for 2-3 years, trying to heal a leaky gut (yeast)

The firmly held belief here is do NOT take the Diflucan with the probiotics- at least 2 hours apart- you can take the Diflucan with antibiotics.

Diflucan, Ketoconazole, Itraconazole are all systemic yeast fighters- throughout the body.

Nystatin and Amphotericin B are both 'in the gut' yeast fighters- yes, more of a preventive, or if the infection is not believed to be systemic.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought Bio-K plus last night. The saleslady had me convinced it would heal whatever ails me.

Is it supposed to taste like buttermilk with huge chunks in it?
Yes, it is in date.

The lady said to mush strawberries in it to eat.
Is this a good one and how much should I choke down per day?
Thx...

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

quote:
Originally posted by Dogsandcats:
I bought Bio-K plus last night. The saleslady had me convinced it would heal whatever ails me.

Is it supposed to taste like buttermilk with huge chunks in it?
Yes, it is in date.

The lady said to mush strawberries in it to eat.
Is this a good one and how much should I choke down per day?
Thx...

Guess she's never had lyme disease, then, eh?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Michael.. the non-compounded kind. [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canaanbites:

I know what I'm about to say is very controversial, but if you aleady have yeast, taking probiotics will make the yeast worse. You must kill the yeast before starting on probiotics.

You take the probiotic in the afternoon, which feeds the yeast, which you attempt to kill after they've ingested all the probiotics (which never reachs or forms good bateria). And day after day this goes on.

I learned this the hard way. Have been off abx a while and still get yeast when I have something with too many carbs.

For full explanation, contact:

www.worldhealthmall.com

The man that owns the business started it specifically for fungal infections.

Good luck. I know it's hard.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement