LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Concenus on new lyme test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Concenus on new lyme test
TC77
Member # 31630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TC77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I heard about this so-called new lyme test a few months ago that was hyped up as the "Holy Grail" to accurately determine if you absolutely have lyme disease or if you absolutely do not have lyme disease. Supposedly not open to interpretation, no false negatives, no false positives. This test was supposed to finally put the whole lyme controversy and debate to rest, once and for all.

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/811.html

I've had lyme symptoms for years and tested negative back in 2003. Also got bit by another tick this past spring and the doctor couldn't have been more useless. Haven't be re-tested because to my knowledge no test exists that is conclusive. I don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to blow on an unreliable test, so I don't know if I have lyme disease or not.

So... has anyone actually had this test? I've done a search for new information since the test is now widely publicly available and there seems to be absolutely no discussion of it anywhere that I can find. Don't know if I'm not searching for the correct terms or what, but the lack of info. doesn't seem to bode well for all the hype that was attached to the announcement of this new test.

My brain fog is usually so bad it's hard for me to read all the new info. out on lyme...all of the controversy and differing opinions forced me to give up trying to find any answers.

Anyone have any info. on this test or any other that can actually give you a 100% answer if you have lyme disease or not?

I want to get tested for lyme... but have no idea which test to get.

Thanks in advance for any information [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you done a search here? there were several posts about it.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD mentioned a new test and said that after I'm done with treatment and before having kids that he would recommend for me to do it and that it was $500 out of pocket. It's prob the one you're talking about?

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetkeet
Member # 35743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetkeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about the new Advanced Labs culture test? I had it done. $595.

The results came back "positive for spirocheteal growth in form of Bb".

Also, they photograph the culture with the spirochetes swimming and submit three photos with the results.

Posts: 4 | From West Coast, US | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julier212
Member # 26408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also interested in getting this test done!

Keebler posted these websites before--More about that new Borrelia Culture Test here:

http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/248-new-borrelia-culture-test-available

and

http://www.researchednutritionals.com/information.cfm?ID=255

I believe you have to have the test ordered through a doctor, and more than likely a LLMD. I hopefully will be getting this test done in February if I can stay off abx until then!

Posts: 71 | From Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julier212
Member # 26408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julier212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, from what I understand it is only about 80% accurate, because Lyme bacteria hides in our tissues and muscles not necessarily our blood. So the blood sample taken for the test may not have any bacteria in it even if you are actually infected with it! Lovely, right?

But the positive result from this test is inarguable, unlike the Western Blot. If you are positive supposedly you are automatically considered CDC positive. However, since the CDC will not approve abx use longer than a month, you are still in the same Lyme boat!

Perhaps if enough people take this test, and show up positive, maybe the CDC will see that Chronic Lyme does exist? Maybe it will prove that longterm treatment is necessary? Who knows! It's not the perfect test, but it is a step in the right direction atleast!

Posts: 71 | From Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the test done about 5 weeks ago.
No news yet.
How long has it taken others to get their results? Pos. or neg.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetkeet
Member # 35743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetkeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the preliminary results in 12 days. I took the test on

12/28 and received the first part on 1/10/12. This first part said "patient blood culture displays positive growth of

spirochetal organisms in the blood which stained positive via immunohistochemical method using polyclonal antibody

for Borrelia burgdorferi. Hard copy to follow."

Then four weeks after I took the test, I received the second part. This part is three photographs of the cultured

spirochetes from my blood. I don't think it should take five weeks to get the initial report. It takes longer to get the

Second part because they grow the cultures for a minimum of 30 days. I think the said.

Posts: 4 | From West Coast, US | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by julier212:
[QB?

But the positive result from this test is inarguable, unlike the Western Blot. If you are positive supposedly you are automatically considered CDC positive. However, since the CDC will not approve abx use longer than a month, you are still in the same Lyme boat!

Perhaps if enough people take this test, and show up positive, maybe the CDC will see that Chronic Lyme does exist? Maybe it will prove that longterm treatment is necessary? [/QB]

Maybe some serious studies can be done using this test. Have people tested before treatment (or even on a treatment break) and of those people positive they can give the "recommended" and totally outrageous treatment guide amount and then retest later again. how can you deny that long term treatment is necessary if they are able to grow this bacteria both before (or during ) treatment AND after their lame guidelines?
Posts: 574 | From Out there somewhere | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement